Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bear is done!!!

SFC B

While I'm languishing away here in PA the taxidermist has apparently hard at work. Got the call that my bear from last fall is ready. Squared at 6'1". Now I have to drive to Steamboat and pick that joker up. Can't wait to see it but not looking forward to the $$$$$$ :). I'll post some pics when I get him.

That money is already earmarked for the Steelers store. Glad to hear the bear's done.

The bear will take about a third of the per diem, the Steeler's store will get a couple of hundred and the rest will probably find it's way into Doug and other hunting endeavors. As far as the pics go I think I am ok with waiting and the Taxi is an OG guy in Steamboat....didn't even think about asking ;)

Just got back from Steamboat and I am VERY pleased with the rug. It was hard to describe that the color wasn't as dark as hunting pics looked. I'm glad I got this joker done. The skull was just boiled and cleaned off, any suggestions for finishing it off? Oh, the bed it is on is a Queen for scale :hump:

Attachments

• rug.jpg
    rug.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 569
  • rug 2.jpg
    rug 2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 569
  • rug 3.jpg
    rug 3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 570
  • skull and pecker.jpg
    skull and pecker.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 565
  • skull 2.jpg
    skull 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 570
Wow that is something. Can't wait to get mine. The second one I get rugged will be a 6 footer like him if I get one.

Last edited:
Nice looking bear and rug, congrats! I did a bear skull awhile back, can't remember how long I soaked it in a real soapy mix of water and lots of Dawn dish washing soap, but it worked. Bear skulls are greasy. During the process watch that you don't throw out any teeth while changing water, I had a few come loose, but easy to put back in place.

Last edited:
That turned out very nice SFC! Someday I will have a mountain lion rug.

do a 50-50 mix of 40% by volume peroxide and water. Submerge skull ensuring no air pocket in brain cavity. Bring to boil and turn off heat. Remove skull, let cool and rinse. Let dry overnight and put a coat of mop n glo on it. It seals the bone and gives it just a little bit of sheen. Looks really nice.

Whitebone creations on youtube has a ton of great videos, you can skip ahead to the bleaching portion since it's already clean.

Tell ya what, the color is better than I hoped (seemed darker in my memory). This will probably be my only one :)

Very nice looking rug! My experience has been that the fur does seem a bit lighter in color as there is normally an element of dirt and moisture in the fur that makes it darker in the field. Congrats!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back