Antelope Rifle Shooting Distance

droza

Hey everyone,

This will be my first time hunting for Wyoming antelope and I was curious what was the average distance you have taken an antelope? Thanks and best of luck this season.

Two doe antelope last year, 45 yards and 80 yards

I don't think that I have ever shot an antelope at over 300 yds. in 35 years of hunting them. I'd say my average shot is somewhere around 100-150 yds. Stalking to get closer is half the fun.

61 yards (bow) to 150-ish (rifle). The opportunity for long shots will definitely be there, but with a little terrain and patience it's not too hard to get close.

Remember to calculate ahead of time and consider horizontal wind drift of your bullet, it can get a little breezy out there.

3DMjEm7.jpg

fwiw....

Some of it depends on the terrain you are hunting. I hunted areas where it was dang near impossible to get closer than 200 yards without spooking the antelope off. I shot antelope from 100 to 400 yards. Practice at the range and pick a distance you are comfortable at before the hunt and stick to that range. If an antelope is outside your comfort zone, work to get closer or go find another group of animals.

Terrain and how hard the critters have been hunted in prior week will influence how easy it is to get within 200 yards. Presumably Thag and his spear had a big herd to follow and focus on the sick and young. Of course, buffalo jump cliff strategy would work quite well where animals are spooked towards a cliff and they fall 20 feet or more. Not sure how to call that kill distance.

Hunting water in a dry year is ethical but if a critter needs to come to water and you are in a blind at the only water holes for a mile in any direction then you should be able to get a close shot.

I have seen a spooked herd of pronghorn run 50 yards and turn to look back much like a whitetail deer will. I have seen herds run no less than a mile before stopping to turn and look back. Hunting pressure and terrain are the difference, in my opinion. Your skill to close the distance on a spooked herd on flat terrain may be great. I have tried crawling and duck walking to close the distance on flat terrain and a walking herd browsing on sage can outpace my efforts.

Less than 100 yards for me. I want a quick kill with as little meat damage as possible so I get as close as I can. It makes it more fun, too.

Our average shot distance has been right at 160 yds.

Closest 75 yds

Furthest 260

This has been an interesting thread to read. I've only bow hunted antelope in the past, but I did have the impression I was going to need to be ready to consider about 300yds an average shot for speed goats. Sounds like maybe that's not the case.

This has been an interesting thread to read. I've only bow hunted antelope in the past, but I did have the impression I was going to need to be ready to consider about 300yds an average shot for speed goats. Sounds like maybe that's not the case.

Not at all, at least in the terrain we hunt.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back