PEAX Equipment

I Bought an InReach Mini

I've used the Mini now a few times while out fishing and out of cell service. Some feedback:

1. The maps included and that you can download are poor and not as detailed as what I get on OnX. This doesn't bother me as the OnX App is my primary mapping anyway. I just expected more.

2. The weather that you can download to the mini while on sattelite connection takes a minute, but is very handy to have. Enough details to make field decisions. This is a really nice feature that I will be using more of in the future.

3. Messaging with the app is easy to send messages out and reply to those messages. However, if you are trying to contact me and I have not sent you a message previously, the webapp that you have to use is clumsy. Furthermore, you have to make sure that you have turned on the sharing and that the password is given to those people. Garmin has a template email you can send out to help, but with the SpotX you just had a number like a cell phone. Garmin should fix that in the future.

4. Battery life has been great. On the 10 minute tracking mode and 15 hours of on time, the battery was at 82%.

5. I should also say it only checks for incoming messages every 10 minutes. So if you are having an active conversation, you'll need to click on the app where it says "check now" for messages. Otherwise, convo's take a while.

6. I bought the Garmin Tether to attach the Mini to the top of my Metcalf on the frame. That will give it the most direct view to the sky, and hopefully keep me connected while I am in dark timber. The lanyard is cheap, so I put on 550 cord.

Still, very happy to have this handy piece of insurance.

Great review. Thanks. Curious why the difference between my original Delorme InReach and the new set by Garmin that now handles the Delormes...

The 10 minute check for messages: my wife or whomever can hold instant conversations without checking for a response. If I text, it may be a minute for response though not 10 minutes and thats likely the time it took to text back.. I wonder if they've changed this for all InReach units. I'll have to test mine to check.

Another Update:

The unit is working fine after 8 days in the field. The small issue is that once a message is received on the Mini it does not send it straight to the phone every time. I have found that I have to close out the app, restart it and the message will then pop up. Not a big deal, but shouldn't be an issue anyway. I have an email into Garmin to figure it out. I have also found that I like the ability to update the weather report. After 3 days in, dark clouds popped up and I updated the forecast. Glad I did, hunting in windfall timber with 20mph winds probably not smart.

Also, I recommend getting the Garmin Tether and attaching the unit to the top of your pack for best visibility. Scrap the lanyard it comes with and just tie on 12" of paracord and attach the Tether to your pack and the lanyard to the pack. With the "spine" feature it will snap out for charging.

Still, overall very happy with the unit.

Also, I recommend getting the Garmin Tether and attaching the unit to the top of your pack for best visibility. Scrap the lanyard it comes with and just tie on 12" of paracord and attach the Tether to your pack and the lanyard to the pack. .

Just my $0.02 but I keep my InReach (not the mini but the old non-garmin version) in the cargo pocket of my pants. I figure I want my survival kit, knife and lifeline communication on my person at all times. Never know when you might drop a pack...

Just used my device for 10 days in AK, learned a couple of things:
1. Attache garmin to outside of your pack per 406life so that it can send sometimes it takes a bit to send/ receive
2. Will work when it's very cloudy and inside a tent
3. For best battery life tether device, send message, turn off bluetooth, once a reply has been received (you will see a message waiting icon on the mini's screen) or you want to send another message turn on your bluetooth (doing this has a dramatic effect on the battery
4. Switch off at night or when you don't need it on.

I've had my InReach SE for 4 years now.

One tip I have would be to take full advantage of your "preset" messages. They don't count against your plan messages and by having 3 available I very rarely need to actually send a real message.

My 3 preset messages are something like "Getting going this morning, maybe today will be the day", "Just checking in, everything is okay"; "Back at camp for the night". Really I've almost quit using the first one because my wife doesn't want a text at 4:30 in the morning telling her I'm heading out and then I tend to forget to text until I stop for lunch or something.

I use the "safety" plan that only has like 15 messages per month but it is only $15. Additional messages are something like 50 cents each so if you do the math you could almost use as many messages as you get for the "recreational" plan before you would actually pay more.

Depending on the hunts I'm on sometimes I only send out 1 or 2 actual messages.

Considering one of these devices strictly for emergency, out of cell range "I am ok or SOS" capabilities. I spend plenty of time scouting in the mountains during the year by myself. I have always been the one who leaves an itinerary and as much info as I can but I have found myself late on check in with loved ones or even no check in at all because of zero cell service.

What are the cheapest plans for service?
I believe I read someones post about "10" text monthly???
What is the charge for additional texts????

Great review and thanks for posting this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering one of these devices strictly for emergency, out of cell range "I am ok or SOS" capabilities. I spend plenty of time scouting in the mountains during the year by myself. I have always been the one who leaves an itinerary and as much info as I can but I have found myself late on check in with loved ones or even no check in at all because of zero cell service.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Once you have it, you'll want the $50/mth plan. The message plan counts incoming and outgoing as seperate messages. Send 5, get 5, and you have used your 10/month. The unlimited plan is much better, even if $50/mth. The math works out that if you scout, hunt the full fall seasons, and you do some summer flyfishing its worth getting it.

Once you have it, you'll want the $50/mth plan. The message plan counts incoming and outgoing as seperate messages. Send 5, get 5, and you have used your 10/month. The unlimited plan is much better, even if $50/mth. The math works out that if you scout, hunt the full fall seasons, and you do some summer flyfishing its worth getting it.

I've found the exact opposite in my case. I have the cheapest $12/month plan and have never wished I had the more expensive plan. Even with the cheapest plan, you still get unlimited preset messages. The overage charges are very reasonable also, I dont think I've ever paid more than 20 bucks a month, and that's with using it daily for most of November.

I'm out of cell service 2-3 days a week year around and close to half the days September-November. Granted, I go to the woods to get away from society, so I'm not using it for social media or getting the score to the baseball game. I send my wife an 'I'm alive' preset every now and then and all is well.

They are worth their weight in gold though. Mthunter was able to send me coordinates to where he had an elk down this year and we were both well out of service. I walked right to him. I was also able to find out my dad had a stroke while in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.

I've found the exact opposite in my case. I have the cheapest $12/month plan and have never wished I had the more expensive plan. Even with the cheapest plan, you still get unlimited preset messages. The overage charges are very reasonable also, I dont think I've ever paid more than 20 bucks a month, and that's with using it daily for most of November.

I'm out of cell service 2-3 days a week year around and close to half the days September-November. Granted, I go to the woods to get away from society, so I'm not using it for social media or getting the score to the baseball game. I send my wife an 'I'm alive' preset every now and then and all is well.

They are worth their weight in gold though. Mthunter was able to send me coordinates to where he had an elk down this year and we were both well out of service. I walked right to him. I was also able to find out my dad had a stroke while in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.

Yup I too keep the lowest plan. Works great and I rarely spend more than that unless we're in big discussions about downed animals or daily plans

It's nice that there are options for plans so you can chose.

I should add I spend about 60 days hunting and 45 fishing each year, all out of cell service. I communicate with my wife daily to check in, but also with hunting buddies to coordinate where, when, what, etc on our many trips. In my first couple weeks, it became apparent that I would be better off doing the unlimited.

It's nice that there are options for plans so you can chose.

I should add I spend about 60 days hunting and 45 fishing each year, all out of cell service. I communicate with my wife daily to check in, but also with hunting buddies to coordinate where, when, what, etc on our many trips. In my first couple weeks, it became apparent that I would be better off doing the unlimited.

I guess I got confused when he asked about the cheapest plan and you told him that's not what he wanted. My apologies.

Edit to add- I just did the math and you would have to send 900 non-preset text messages a year to break even on the $50/plan. That's a lot of hillside gossip.

Last edited:
I too have the smallest plan and have never had a issue.

I don’t keep track on my hunting days but I know it’s more then a few from Sept. to Feb.
Mostly out of cell service but other then checking in with my wife or son I don’t text. I spend work days hooked to a phone and computer. I don’t go to the hills for convo.

If I send a text from the inReach is is an “all ok”or to my son to grab a pack.

In my experience, Garmin had been great about letting subscribers change plans from month to month. I will up my plan is I know I will be out of cell service, then change it back to basic. Not many subscriptions let you do that.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back