Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

I Bought an InReach Mini

406LIFE

Started this thread for Q&A on the Mini.
Some thoughts:
-I used SPOT for years and made the switch.
-Supply at the moment seems to be limited. Many places are out of stock. Cabelas hasnt even listed it yet.
-Im not a tech guy, but I know my way around my phone.
-I thought it would be helpful to have someone to ask direct questions.

Initial thoughts after a few test messages.
-Initial conversation messages are a bit clumsy. But once you have the convo in your phone you just reply.
-Subscription proce seems high, so I went with thr Freedom recreation plan.
-Size is just right. I'll prob get a molle case to put on outside of shoulder pack strap.
-Pairing to phone is very nice and using it as my pri.ary with OnX for GPS, im wondering what battery life is going to be like.

Not a tech guy either so if your phone is connected via Bluetooth does the inReach also receive all your text messages that your phone would get while the two are paired and if so does that count towards your subscription text limit you are allowed?

While out of cell service it only gets texts sent through the InReach system. Texts count individually aginst your allotmwnt. You send one, you get one, thats 2 of your X for the month.

While connected via BT, you do get a notification on your phone if you get a message.

Not much of a tech guy either, but I’ll be buying one soon. Thanks for starting this thread. Do you have to run your phone off airplane mode, or can you still receive texts with airplane mode on? The difference in battery life on my phone while out of cell range is drastic when I’ve got airplane mode off.

Not much of a tech guy either, but I’ll be buying one soon. Thanks for starting this thread. Do you have to run your phone off airplane mode, or can you still receive texts with airplane mode on? The difference in battery life on my phone while out of cell range is drastic when I’ve got airplane mode off.

Airplane mode can be on but Bluetooth has to be on as well.

So what is the advantage to having the inReach connected by Bluetooth to a phone?

So what is the advantage to having the inReach connected by Bluetooth to a phone?

Screen size, especially for the mini, smartphone sized keypad, text screen, location mapping via GPS. I believe though have not tried, connect and update map location on self set intervals to Facebook contacts.
Basically, your smartphone becomes a GPS communicator and navigation device, less voice.

Map intervals to FB contacts? People do that?

I have an SE and never thought about using it except for an SOS or the rare text in a spot with no cell coverage. Interesting.

Last edited:
Map intervals to FB contacts? People do that?

I have an SE and never thought about using it except for an SOS or the rare text in a spot with no cell coverage. Interesting.

Im not going to, but if you were hiking the Continental Trail or something you might want to.

Also, all the responses above I found to be correct about the Mini.

So messing with things on mine, I take it while in airplane mode and paired to inReach I can use onX on my phone without having downloaded maps just like a GPS?

Last edited:
So messing with things on mine, I take it while in airplane mode and paired to inReach I can use onX on my phone without having downloaded maps just like a GPS?

If I understand your question as can you use OnX qith the Mini, the answer is no. They operate seperatley, but at the same time on the phone. You can download maps for the earthmate app, but they dont seem to be anywhere close to OnX maps detail. You can also get UTD weather from the mini.

-Pairing to phone is very nice and using it as my pri.ary with OnX for GPS, im wondering what battery life is going to be like.”

I will try again,sorry .... can you use onx on your phone while it’s in airplane mode paired to the inReach? I realize onx isn’t loaded on the inReach but used together makes it work like a gps with onx on it? Or simpler with the mini and your phone when offline or out of cell coverage you still have to download maps?

Clear as mud I know.

Last edited:

-Pairing to phone is very nice and using it as my pri.ary with OnX for GPS, im wondering what battery life is going to be like.”

I will try again,sorry .... can you use onx on your phone while it’s in airplane mode paired to the inReach? I realize onx isn’t loaded on the inReach but used together makes it work like a gps with onx on it? Or simpler with the mini and your phone when offline or out of cell coverage you still have to download maps?

Clear as mud I know.
I've operated OnX separate from the InReach. Download the maps for the area as my navigation and use InReach paired with phone for communication.
I followed this pretty much to a T. Especially turn on battery saver. I did 4 days and returned to the truck with 25%+ remaining.
https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/smartphone-battery-saving-tips-for-the-field

That’s what I figured. I guess I wanted the phone and inReach to work together like a gps
To eliminate having to download maps. Guess not but maybe someday.

That’s what I figured. I guess I wanted the phone and inReach to work together like a gps
To eliminate having to download maps. Guess not but maybe someday.

The GPS just has all the maps preloaded, which is what you do when you download maps. What you want is a garmin which does data, those exist the plans are just a lot more expense and the devices run around $700 and up, check out the iridium GO.

Also to your question about texting, texting is similar to the facebook messenger app. When you phone is on airplane mode it won't receive texts (so you don't have to worry about people texting you), all texts are sent through the earthmate app and when your friends and family get them they are coming from a totally different number. As said above the best thing to do is do some test texts/ preset messages (which you get more of) to people you want to have your "number" and then they can save that number as your "garmin number" and/or reply to that thread on their phone.

Clear as mud I know.

Can you use OnX and the Earthmate app at the same time? Yes
Can you use both in airplane mode? Yes

I would still make OnX my primary mapping/GPS and use the InReach for sattelite comms.

Question on the SE+

You can drop a way point on a grid map, not a satellite map or topo map. basically just shows blank, but distance and what way to walk to it. If it's paired to the earthmate app, will it show a dropped way point on the app, if I'm not in the app at the moment. Example, phone is off in the pack, and I add a pin or way point on the SE+. Back at the truck, turn on the phone and app and it transfers to app?

Looking at either SE+ or Mini - Don't really have a preference - I do like the idea of longer batter life.

Looking at either SE+ or Mini - Don't really have a preference - I do like the idea of longer batter life.

If you use OnX on your phone, then there's really not much reason to go with the SE. If you like the standalone GPS, then probably go SE.

I use my phone exclusively as my GPS, so no reason to double up on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back