Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WY antelope 2019

7 points for our group. Were going to cash in. We had no plans of waiting beyond 4 points, but point creep got us 2 years and then other things came up this year.

I'd never pay for a PP; IMO it takes the randomness out of the drawing.

To each their own. I'd wager to guess that removing the randomness is the exact reason most hunters are willing to pay a preference point fee(s) each season. If you only have one potential hunt per fall I guess the randomness might be fun, but if you are planning multiple species/states/tags over the course of many years it can be really useful to have at least a solid guess of what tags you will or won't draw each fall based on accumulated preference points. Whatever works for the individual is what makes the draws interesting.

I'm not sure what the original content was of the OP, but if I had 8 points I'd be beyond excited to cash them in. I burned 3 points last year and had a fun, high quality hunt, and drew the same unit again this year in the special draw with zero. 8 Points ought to get you a real first-class experience.

One more page flip of the calendar..

I will gladly fund the G&F each and every year with their preference point fees rather than fund some private landowner with his B.S. access fee. Not all of us find enjoyment of busting out the 6.5 on a borderline tame animal at 75 yards drinking out of the waterhole behind the ranch house and then driving up to it and loading it whole into your truck each and every year.

Last edited:
To each their own. I'd wager to guess that removing the randomness is the exact reason most hunters are willing to pay a preference point fee(s) each season. If you only have one potential hunt per fall I guess the randomness might be fun, but if you are planning multiple species/states/tags over the course of many years it can be really useful to have at least a solid guess of what tags you will or won't draw each fall based on accumulated preference points. Whatever works for the individual is what makes the draws interesting.

While I can sympathize with the PPs being a way to reward those who strike out year after year, it still takes away from the true random nature of the license distribution system. It's not the only thing that does, but it generates extra revenue for F & G.

I will gladly fund the G&F each and every year with their preference point fees rather than fund some private landowner with his B.S. access fee. Not all of us find enjoyment of busting out the 6.5 on a borderline tame animal at 75 yards drinking out of the waterhole behind the ranch house and then driving up to it and loading it whole into your truck each and every year.

How many people do you know who actually do that? I actually had one follow me about a half mile to my truck last year.

Last edited:
How many people do you know who actually do that? I actually had one follow me about a half mile to my truck last year.

Plenty. In fact, there will be quite a few people sitting in a ground blind over the only "open" water hole tomorrow on private ranches. The reason I say "open" is because the landowners/ranch hands completely block off all surrounding water holes on the property that "their" antelope could drink out of to make sure the watering hole in front of the paying customer's ground blind has lots of action. How fun.

Plenty. In fact, there will be quite a few people sitting in a ground blind over the only "open" water hole tomorrow on private ranches. The reason I say "open" is because the landowners/ranch hands completely block off all surrounding water holes on the property that "their" antelope could drink out of to make sure the watering hole in front of the paying customer's ground blind has lots of action. How fun.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not much worse than some rich dude with a sheep tag hiring an outfitter to find him a ram, then flies in shoots it and leaves. Would be hard to be proud of a hunt like that unless you were a disabled 6 YO.

All you are accomplishing is taking away most of your opportunity for drawing a tag and relying on the random draw for your opportunity which is only a small fraction of the tags available for the unit. Essentially shooting yourself in the foot if your goal is to draw tags, which is why most people put in the draw. But to each their own.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not much worse than some rich dude with a sheep tag hiring an outfitter to find him a ram, then flies in shoots it and leaves. Would be hard to be proud of a hunt like that unless you were a disabled 6 YO.

The reason you do not pay for preference points has nothing to do with it taking the "randomness out of the drawing". You do not purchase them because you strictly hunt a unit and private ranch that you can draw with 0 points year after year after year. You put your cash in a landowners pocket for private land access while most of us would rather put it towards G&F funding. It's pretty simple really and has nothing to do with taking the randomness out of the drawing.

The reason you do not pay for preference points has nothing to do with it taking the "randomness out of the drawing". You do not purchase them because you strictly hunt a unit and private ranch that you can draw with 0 points year after year after year. You put your cash in a landowners pocket for private land access while most of us would rather put it towards G&F funding. It's pretty simple really and has nothing to do with taking the randomness out of the drawing.

It does because the preference point draw is held before and separate from the random draw. In a hard to draw draw area it could as a non-resident shut you out even if you opted for the non-resident special. This year for area 29 there was a quota of 600 tags [480 for residents and 120 for non-residents. Only 49 residents drew in the initial draw so their extra 431 tags rolled into the non-resident draw giving 551 tags. 291 were issued in the non-resident PP draw and 63 were issued in the non-resident random draw. In this case we should be thankful that most residents apparently have difficulty accessing private land for free. Can't say that I've ever failed to draw a tag whenever I've applied. If it was truly random then there should have been one draw for the 551 tags and not 2.

Wish more people felt this way. It would make it much easier for me to draw a tag in a good unit with fewer points. :D

What is your idea of a "good" unit?

Lots of antelope? Lots of big antelope?

Lots of public land?

Which units in Wyoming would you classify as "good" units?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back