Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Backpacking with a neoair

I bought a neoair xlite this summer. I’ve been using it while truck camping the last few months to get used to it before my trip this fall. I really like it. I put it on another pad or an extra blanket to protect it. I’m curious what you all do with a pad like this while backpacking. Do you put it right on the tent floor? Any issues with getting holes in them?

Thanks, Andy

I've thrown mine on a tarp, tent floor, and even directly on the ground...even sharp granite in the high country. It'll be just fine in a tent

A buddy HAD a Klymit inflatable pad. While light weight and very packable, His was stabbed by a small something or other and spent the next morning using the little patch fix attached to the pouch. Good sleep and hunting go hand in hand.

A footprint for the tent and doubt trouble runs your way.

I use a floorless shelter. I put my X-therm on a trimmed down piece of silnylon from a walmart el-cheapo tarp. Works great and no issues so far. I still bring the patch kit though.

I sometimes bring a zlite foam pad (14oz) if im going shelterless or its going to be really cold (sub freezing). This works for me for year round so i dont have to buy a xtherm for cold weather and just ditch the zlite in the warmer temps. I always carry a patch of tenacious tape with me just in case and worst case if that doesnt work I have the zlite to sleep on.

Take a look at goHunt destruction sleeping pad test on YouTube. It will put your mind at ease.

Tent floor and bed of my truck both, and backseat of the cab come to think of it. Never any problems and probably 40 nights.

I sometimes bring a zlite foam pad (14oz) if im going shelterless or its going to be really cold (sub freezing). This works for me for year round so i dont have to buy a xtherm for cold weather and just ditch the zlite in the warmer temps. I always carry a patch of tenacious tape with me just in case and worst case if that doesnt work I have the zlite to sleep on.

+1

I normally carry a z-lite style pad as a butt pad while glassing (its so much nicer than a cold rock, snow or a wet ground). When I turn in for the night I throw the z-lite under the tent to protect the floor as well as my neoair.

NeoAir Xtherm here. This thing is tough as nails and super warm.

I've slept on rocks, twigs, pine needles, even concrete. No holes or even any signs of wear.

Been using the same neoair since summer if 2014...uncounted days in the field. This weekend I finally got a very small pinhole. It's such a slow leak it can't find where to patch it. #2 as a backup gets ordered today

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back