Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY unit 29 Type 6 tag mistake - need help

Sagebrush1

I just received the WY hunting reg book in the mail, and noticed (for the first time, which makes me feel like a dork) that the two doe/fawn unit 29-6 tags that I bought my boy and his friend are noted as "...valid on private land". Now, judging by the verbage for other tags, I assume that this means ONLY on private land? I don't know how I missed that earlier, but if that is the case, I am going to need to figure something our fast, or have two very disappointed boys!

I will happily pay a tresspass fee, so I am going to get to work on that, but if anyone knows anybody in that unit that has any space, or any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Yes, they are valid ONLY on private land, so you will need to dig in and pray that you can find someone to help you out. I would call the local Biologist and GW for that area and see if they can give you some help. They may be able to hook you up with a rancher, especially since it's younguns that the tags are good for and later in the season you may well be able to get free access for them to shoot does. Good luck!

Call the game warden. Probably not as big of a deal as you think. A guy I know did the exact same thing last year. Only he didn't realize it somehow until he got to Wyoming (Don't ask).
He called the warden and she pointed him to a few local ranchers. Long story short he filled his tag literally within an hour of hanging up with the warden. Good luck!

Take a look at the one WIHA #12 that is in unit 29 in Converse County that has 4235 acres, as that is an alternative if you can't find anything else, but I think you will just like the other members stated.

Lots of great people live in Wyoming.
Doe antelope are a dime a dozen there and many land owners have no problem having a couple youngsters thin them out some.
Contact the area Warden and also check the G&F site for land owners listed there.
Start calling soon and you should get it worked out.

Game and fish posts a lists on their website of landowners that will allow access. Its not a really long list, but its worth checking.

Do not feel embarrassed, I did something similar in 2015 in the same unit. Tag type 29-2, verbiage in the regs said "any antelope off the National Grasslands". Wasn't until we were on our way out there, while making one last call to the biologist that I learned that "off the national grasslands" meant something different than what I thought. The biologist, field office and warden were great. They gave me a list of names and ended up making some calls for me. It was not what we had in mind, but we tagged out in a few hours of hunting. Don't give up hope, call the warden, biologist and office they will definitely be able to help

Hey all, thanks so much for the help! I called the Casper office and got the biologist and warden's numbers. I left messages for both. Keeping my fingers crossed. I didn't think of the WIHA, but those are technically private, so they may pass. I will contact the office again and clear that up.

I spent the whole summer working with my son's best friend to get him his hunter-ed, worked on shooting, and told him that I would treat him to an antelope hunt. He's a city kid, and his folks just don't know what to do with this passion he has for hunting, but they are good folks. The thought of having to call it off is pretty bad! I'm going to keep working and praying, but your guys here lifted my spirits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back