Archery Mt 310hd

Badger_55

I will be giving Taylor a try for archery this year. I have been out there a handful of times during rifle season and the spring. I have been in touch with the local biologist and warden for the area. Just wondering if anyone has any other information I could use when I am out there this September? I am aware of the numbers of bears there. If you guys have anything please PM me thanks!
Good luck this archery season!

When I called last year wondering why all the bear traps in the area and what the results were the biologist simply said be extra careful in there. They caught 12 in 2 weeks. Good luck. It’s hard to have fun looking over your shoulder IMO. Hope you have some success

Haha yeah we found a few of those stations. The signs in there are pretty straight forward, enough to send chills down your back. I guess it doesnt bother me a whole lot, just changes a little bit how I hunt is all. Love the area, shooting an elk is only part of the adventure for me. Being on horse and riding that country in October is awesome, cant wait to do it in September with the day dreams of chasing a bugle or two.

I guess if it turns out to be heavy with bear in the locations I want to hunt we will probably pull the pin and spend a few days in some other country. The only other country I am familiar with out there is just over the mountain in Madison where I have been up Papoose and Indian. Not sure what the numbers are like during archery season in there, guess there is less volume of bear. Also over by White Sulfur Springs and Martinsdale area, rode around there for a day but pulled out after seeing the BLM land that we were going to hunt in become a zoo with hunters. We will be heading over from the Bighorns around the 15th, maybe earlier if my buddy and I are able to tag out on Muleys. So far my backup plan is to ride up into Papoose if things are scarce over in Taylor. Maybe someone has some other areas that would be worth looking at on google earth?

Talked to a biologist who informed me the grizzlies were thick up Indian. Ignored the warning and went for a hike this spring, there was an enormous female + 1 cub track the entire length of the trail. Had not spent time in there before, with sheer canyon walls a couple thousand feet high almost the whole trail, it was extremely nerve racking and I cant imagine taking horses down it and bumping into one of those with nowhere to run.
Although, I have also seen the absolute circus of hunters there during season, not a parking spot for a 1/4 mile from the trailhead. But still, be careful.

Thanks for the heads up on the fire. Just read up on that. Will keep an eye on this.

From what the journal at the cabin up Taylor fork said, last year it seemed like hunters were fairly successful for archery season, but mostly unsuccessful during rifle. I realize that's not very good recon, but thought I'd share.

There are grizzlies everywhere out there - up Papoose, Indian, TF, wherever... It really is all about the same. I wouldn't think of the Madisons as having "less" grizzlies than Taylor Fork. The ones up Taylor Fork might be a bit more brazen though.

Thanks Yellowstoner, yeah I suppose I should of worded it differently. Just from the times I have been on the Madison side I haven't picked up on near the sign as the areas in Taylor I hunt. Probably more spread out maybe? I know there is a couple drainages that just seem to be filthy with bear over in Taylor in my experiences. Bumped into a handful last year out there. I was able to do some really good scouting in glassing last year when I was up in Papoose. Never seen an elk that day but boy did I find some nice Rams and Goats. If anyone has good info for me in Taylor I would be willing to point out the spot that I had found over there if someone were to have a sheep or goat tag they would of been in good shape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back