First Time Utah Solo Elk Hunt!

AlphaHunter

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Utah next year, we are planning to buy an archery any elk tag and head to Utah.
By my research, I saw that Monroe Peak is a pretty good place, but i decided to give the forum a shot, since i figure people that have been to Utah and hunted there will have a better advice than Google maps. i am looking to hike pretty far and setting up camp. we are bringing an ATV to help us carry the weight. so we are looking for any advice out there. where to go? when to go? places that are remote enough, with better opportunity ? we are fro VA so it'll be a haul to get there and we are looking for advice from fellow hunters.

Thank you, guys!!

Monroe is a limited entry hunt that requires a lot of points to get. All the best places to hunt in Utah require a limited entry permit. Not to say people aren't successful on the general hunts every year but it is a lot harder with less opportunity. If you are coming all the way from back east I would definitely look at going to another state for an OTC elk tag. Utah has some of the best trophy elk hunting out there but it requires a very hard to get tag.

Edit: If you are dead set on coming to Utah this website is helpful https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart it'll show you the boundaries and the biologist notes. As far as general season any bull goes, the biggest herds are on the north and south slopes of the uintas in the north east part of Utah.

Last edited:
Rdog thanks for the response.
I am looking only to bow hunt. I thought that Utah has OTC tags, am I wrong?
also while I was researching some more I notice that the north slope is better because is more secluded and people are less likely to hunt there. since we are taking an ATV I do not mind hiking a lot. My understanding was that you buy the OTC tag and get to hunting. I am looking get an Nres Archery tag. if I am missing information please let me know.

Yes you can buy an OTC archery tag, in fact there are no limits for archery tags so they will never sell out. But an OTC tag only allows you to hunt in OTC areas, you can't go hunt anywhere in the state. Monroe is a limited entry area that doesn't allow OTC any bull hunting. You can get a spike only tag and hunt in monroe but you can only take a spike or a cow. As a side note look up the spyder bull, it was a world record bull taken off of monroe.

The north slope is fun and an open bull area for OTC tags. It's very thick and quads won't do you much good if your trying to get away from people. It's wilderness and no motor vehicles allowed. A mile from the boundary and you will most likely be alone during the archery hunt. The LE hunting areas are fun during archery but as previously stated, spike only for OTC tags.

thank you guys!
we appreciate the info since we have never been to Utah and we are really looking forward to it.

Yes you can buy an OTC archery tag, in fact there are no limits for archery tags so they will never sell out. But an OTC tag only allows you to hunt in OTC areas, you can't go hunt anywhere in the state. Monroe is a limited entry area that doesn't allow OTC any bull hunting. You can get a spike only tag and hunt in monroe but you can only take a spike or a cow. As a side note look up the spyder bull, it was a world record bull taken off of monroe.

do you know what are the areas ? or where can i get those areas for archery OTC tags ?

do you know what are the areas ? or where can i get those areas for archery OTC tags ?

Go to this website https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart under find a hunt, select elk as the species, bull for sex, general season - anybull for hunt type and it will highlight the areas you can hunt in blue. A lot of those areas hold little to no elk though or they have private land issues. For a first timer I would definitely stick to the north or south slope of the uintas, it is beautiful country.

Go to this website https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart under find a hunt, select elk as the species, bull for sex, general season - anybull for hunt type and it will highlight the areas you can hunt in blue. A lot of those areas hold little to no elk though or they have private land issues. For a first timer I would definitely stick to the north or south slope of the uintas, it is beautiful country.

Thank you Very much for the info. we trully appreciate it. ill give it a look and see what i find. Another question around what date would be better to go i know the season starts for archery Aug 18th should we plan to be there for oppening, or maybe delay it a little? i am also keeping track of the weather any help with that?

You bet, I live in Utah so I think I take for granted all the opportunities I have out my back door, I'm happy to help. Last year my brother and I went up to our areas every weekend during the season and the last 5 days of the season. There was a ton more bugling during those last 5 days and we were able to chase around some bugling bulls. August is still hot so the best bet is sitting on water which I can't do cause I get impatient. If it were me, I would go as close to the end of the season as you can, there will be a lot better chance to call one in then. Also, with an archery tag you are able to take a cow instead of a bull if you want to. Many people don't know that.

edit: While weather can vary wildly every year, usually for early-mid September in the part of the Uintas where I hunt it gets pretty chilly in the mornings and evenings, A heavy jacket or light coat usually keeps me warm. By mid morning I am usually in short sleeves or a long sleeve shirt.

Last edited:
You bet, I live in Utah so I think I take for granted all the opportunities I have out my back door, I'm happy to help. Last year my brother and I went up to our areas every weekend during the season and the last 5 days of the season. There was a ton more bugling during those last 5 days and we were able to chase around some bugling bulls. August is still hot so the best bet is sitting on water which I can't do cause I get impatient. If it were me, I would go as close to the end of the season as you can, there will be a lot better chance to call one in then. Also, with an archery tag you are able to take a cow instead of a bull if you want to. Many people don't know that.

edit: While weather can vary wildly every year, usually for early-mid September in the part of the Uintas where I hunt it gets pretty chilly in the mornings and evenings, A heavy jacket or light coat usually keeps me warm. By mid morning I am usually in short sleeves or a long sleeve shirt.

Thank you kindly!
it's amazing you give us an idea of what to look for. we truly appreciate it.

Alpha,

Ridge sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I don't know how long you can afford to hunt but if not the whole season I would definitely plan on hunting the last week of the season.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back