Bannack, MT

Brian in Montana

Anybody ever rifle hunt antelope around Bannack-Badger Pass area? I've arrowed a couple bucks further east of there near Dillon, but I'm not that familiar with the Bannack area. I'd like to get away from roads a bit but there seem to be tracks all over the map down there.

Send me a PM, if you'd rather.

Brian I had an either sex tag for the Bannack area last year and had to hunt hard to find and kill a doe. I never saw a buck on public land that I wanted to take, just not large enough. I want the youngsters to be able to get some age on them. I went down a week or two after rifle season opened. There were quite a few hunters then too. A lot of the antelope were on private property and most places I don't think will give permission. There area a few Block management areas that allow walk in hunting on private land. I never checked those out but that would be one way to get away from folks, and yes there are a lot of two track roads through most of the State and BLM stuff.

The Game Warden for the area was helpful. He told me that the best time to find the antelope on the public land down there is after rifle season for deer and antelope open. The pressure from those folks on the private property will then push the antelope out onto the public stuff. Hope this helps.

David

The Bannack State campground is a great place to stay too. Nice and clean and near the creek, outdoor bathroom, garbage can, inexpensive. They have sites for tents and campers. They have a permanent tee-pee that you can also rent. It provides some nice room and you don't have to set a tent up.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back