Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Grouse Numbers

MMS1919

Hey folks!

This is my first post and I’m curious what others are seeing for grouse populations across Montana. I’ve been out scouting for big game the past few weekends and was disappointed to see only one or two birds. I’ve been looking in western MT since I live in Missoula.

I have a Brittany pup that I would like to get on some wild birds this fall. Does anyone have any grouse specific training advice for pointers?

Thanks in advance!

I think there was a second hatch after the rains in early June. My pups jumped a dozen blue grouse in three flocks in Sunday and some were pretty little. Lots of grass hoppers out and good moisture so I am hoping it’s going to be a decent season. Friends in South Dakota are saying the same thing for pheasants. Not a great year but a decent second hatch filling in. I don’t know anything about training pointers but lots of time in the field is your friend. Also since we are starved for upland birds in Missoula I recommend training with some pen raised birds periodically to keep them interested. There is a training area really close to Missoula.

Last edited:
If you want a pointer, don’t ever shoot a bird the pup flushes. Ever. If you do, you’re on your way to a dog who won’t hold point.

Ive seen birds when out, but not really looking for them. Grouse numbers are notoriously cyclical. Last year was a bumper crop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back