Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bi-pod or no bi-pod

I am not as steady on my feet as I used to be. I use two walking sticks to help with my balance. I have good luck crossing the sticks and holding them together with one hand and using them as a bipod. Takes a little getting used to but it works for me.

Almost all of my shots have been from the sitting position. For the few prone shots, using gloves/binoharness/hat/daypack/backpack/rolled up jacket/whatever i could grab has been sufficient for a rest. For sitting shots, using my trekking poles crossed and with the wrist straps strung from pole to pole has been money. Super sturdy, and quick to adjust. Can easily adjust the height from about 12" all the way up to an upright kneeling or even slightly hunched standing shot (poles at full height). I've even stuck a single pole back into my belt to create a makeshift rest for standing shots. I'll do the same to make a support for binos while glassing.

I prefer laying prone shooting off a pack, but I do use them sometimes. I have a 23" Harris that I take if I know the area has some tall grass or brush I might have to shoot over from a sitting position.

Make sure if you get one it's a taller model that has a swiveling feature, and the short bipods are no good for a real hunting scenario where you'll likely be shooting over tall grass or brush. That being said, I don't carry one when I'm hunting elk or deer in the mountains, it's too much of a hassle up there and I don't want to lug the extra weight up and down steep country. I have done a few antelope hunts where a a bipod came in handy though.

Awesome thanks for the replies guys! It looks like I'll get a swivel and taller bipod, how steady can you get with the seated position, would it be worth it to get the 12-25" versus the 9-13". Can I still shoot prone with the 12-25" model?

I would set up prone in the house with some bags under the rifle. Get set in behind the rifle so that you're comfortable with the position of the rifle. Then measure the height of the bags to determine the bod height you'd need. The 9-13 I don't think will be tall enough to shot while sitting.

Last edited:
I use both the 9-13 and 12-25. If you are only going to get one I would get the 12-25. Definitely get the swivel model.
I always use a bipod. For me I'm way more stable from a bipod than over a pack.

I also shoot a Harris and love it. If hiking in steep terrain I leave it at home, if more rolling terrain I take it. You can also “load a bipod” by pushing forward on the butstock with your shoulder to steady it in the prone. By doing that with natural point of aim and hand loads I’m getting Sub MOA 5 shot groups at 300.

thanks for clarifying "loading the bipod" i heard it brought up briefly but didn't understand it, makes sense tho! THanks!

I use a lightweight bipod when there are few tree branches to use as a rest. It is a Stoney Point that attaches easily to my rifle. It allows for a steady shot, especially for longer ranges. It also doubles as a hiking stick. Out west, a lot of shots can be 200 to 300 yards and without a rest, too hard for me to get off an accurate shot without a tree branch, rock outcropping or bipod. If I'm not carrying the bipod, I plan my stalk so that when I'm ready for the shot, I choose a tree branch to shoot from. Where I hunt, there can be tall sagebrush to consider and a higher rest is needed.

They are a total pain to keep attached to a rifle. I typically carry mine in the pack.

Bipods are great but don't bother with the cheapo ones that lock directly onto the barrel. Those are garbage on accuracy.

I don't hunt without them, no matter what I am hunting. They come in handy for antelope on up to elk for me, generally shots are either quick and close and I don't need them or they are farther and I have time to use them. I use the 9-13" and have them on a picatinny rail so I can quickly pop them off to ride in a saddle scabbard. Plus that allows me to switch them between my big game rifle and my coyote rifle.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back