Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bi-pod or no bi-pod

teej89

I've never used or owned one, growing up in PA hunting in the woods where your farthest shot was 100yds I have never even considered it. I started to after my pronghorn hunt where I really could have used a rest after belly crawling up a ridge without a pack and having to shoot off my elbows, granted the shot was only 96yds but if it was further a bipod would have been nice.

I'm looking at adding one to my elk gun. Now if everyone is pro bi-pods, what would you recommend and what length? I've seen em stationary and movable, for example the one pivots left and right which I could see being of help but also I'm thinking the fixed bipod is going to give me a steadier rest.

Thanks!
T.J.

Last edited:
I have pivoting Harris bipods on my hunting rifles. Love them for shooting prone, and I think the pivoting feature is really nice for quickly leveling the rifle on unlevel ground

I also shoot a Harris and love it. If hiking in steep terrain I leave it at home, if more rolling terrain I take it. You can also “load a bipod” by pushing forward on the butstock with your shoulder to steady it in the prone. By doing that with natural point of aim and hand loads I’m getting Sub MOA 5 shot groups at 300.

I went shooting today and it was the first time I shot one of my rifles with a bipod next to one without. It was remarkable how much steadier the rifle with the bipod was compared to shooting over my pack. I use a Harris (I think 13"-27") on my antelope/mule deer rifle. May put one on my elk gun but its already heavy. Its a perfect length for prone and sitting when extended. I don't have the swivel head version but have learned that if I loosen the nut that connects it to the rifle it swivels enough for most situations and is still stable.

I use my spotting scope tripod when I'm out in Wyoming. My buddy out there has collapsible sticks that are held together like tent pole pieces use and they attach just like a bipod, You just pop the velcro and they release and go out to make a light weight bipod that he really likes and uses for all his shots whether close or long. The other good thing about them is they slip in a soft gun case easily like they aren't even on the rifle.

Last edited:
Bipod

I vowed I’d never be a bipod guy. When I used or saw my buddies used theirs I never saw it a good thing in the field. Not when actually shooting but everything leading up to that.

I ran across the Hatch bipod. Fell in love with it. I put these Caldwell bases on all of my rifles and bipod quickly goes off and on and from one to another. I think it’s the way to go. That way the bipod only goes on when it’s “go time”.

Attachments

• A4C80D89-D44A-475B-B3D9-7BB257D080E9.jpg
    A4C80D89-D44A-475B-B3D9-7BB257D080E9.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 476
  • 27B5F836-9448-4EE6-97A8-E9AB0AE3F0F6.jpg
    27B5F836-9448-4EE6-97A8-E9AB0AE3F0F6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 3138A1FC-7B5D-447A-BA0E-E40DEF4FAF1F.jpg
    3138A1FC-7B5D-447A-BA0E-E40DEF4FAF1F.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 473
  • EB7BB27F-167F-4148-8952-CA36BDD5432D.jpg
    EB7BB27F-167F-4148-8952-CA36BDD5432D.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 474
I had a bipod mount for a bit though just too heavy. Then I purchased a simple deal that light weight sticks snap onto. The sticks were strapped to my hip or backpack. Found I never used it.
Now, my walking stick does the job when prone with my pack or a tree is not an available option.

With that said, I like the one stubaby shared

I don't use a bipod on my hunting rifles. I have in no particular order, the following shooting aids on me.....

my body (learn the traditional rifle shooting positions then be able to adapt them to the terrain and circumstances)
a sling
my backpack
one (or both) trekking poles
my tripod

Rocks, trees and bushes also help as long as I have something to pad the fore-end.

With practice, a bipod can become more and more useful to some.
I am not one of those people. I have several bipods in different lengths and I absolutely hate using them and find having one attached to my rifle in the field, very awkward and mostly useless.
A rest from a body supported position, a spotting scope tripod, or a good framed pack is the way to go.
I have found bipods to dig in and cause muzzle rise during recoil on most soil types . Which certainly doesn't help accuracy in the least.
But, if you practice with that crap on your gun all the time then you probably won't see a problem.

But, tall grass and bushes, steep slopes, and loose Rocky ground make it a unhelpful addition to the stuff I already carry, and I frankly shoot better without a bipod.
If you like em, then go for it

I used to use one at the range, but I try to practice with what I might realistically have to rest on in the field.
All my load development and zero is done from good sand bags. The rest of the time I shoot prone, or seated with a natural rest or over my pack.

Last edited:
u have used a bipod for many hunts but have not converted to just using my tripod with an adapter yoke to save on weight since I will always have my tripod with me. Now I don't have to have the weight of a bipod. Outdoorsmans sells a good one that will snap on any tripod.

We both use the Harris bipods. Mine is shorter than spouses , it fits me for prone and seated shooting. I don't like the pivoting ones as well but do see how they would be advantageous. I level mine up before shooting using the leg length adjustments when the situation allows it.
I carry it on my rifle all year long, mountain and plains hunting, adds some weight but far outweighs it with the accuracy I get.

I don't use a bipod on my hunting rifles. I have in no particular order, the following shooting aids on me.....

my body (learn the traditional rifle shooting positions then be able to adapt them to the terrain and circumstances)
a sling
my backpack
one (or both) trekking poles
my tripod

Rocks, trees and bushes also help as long as I have something to pad the fore-end.

Ditto.
I think they are more weight on my rifle & really hate things hanging up in brush too.

Last edited:
I've never used a bi pod and don't plan on it in the future. Don't carry a pack either. To shoot prone I lean on my elbows, sitting my elbows on my knees, kneeling I actually sit on my back foot and left elbow on my left knee, off hand, I don't do that without something to lean on.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back