Lock-Ease

VikingsGuy

Do any of you run a patch covered with colloidal graphite (sold as lock ease) down a just cleaned barrel? Some say it makes it pick up less fouling, and others say it reduces variance on cold/clean bore shots. I am a little reluctant to put anything down my barrel that isn’t designed for gun use, but if it worked as “advertised” I might try it.

Do any of you run a patch covered with colloidal graphite (sold as lock ease) down a just cleaned barrel? Some say it makes it pick up less fouling, and others say it reduces variance on cold/clean bore shots. I am a little reluctant to put anything down my barrel that isn’t designed for gun use, but if it worked as “advertised” I might try it.

This from the Nosler website regarding cleaning.

"Finish with a patch lightly coated with gun oil such as Tetra Gun Oil™ or Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Accuracy Gun Oil™. Shooting a dry bore will greatly promote copper fouling."

I'm as finicky as anyone about cleaning, but I don't think that you'd cause any harm by trying it, tho I see little point in oiling a stainless barrel. I expect it's gone after a few shots. Just put some on a loose fitting patch and run it down the bore using a rod guide. Store the firearm muzzle down so it doesn't seep into the chamber. For .25 and .26 caliber I use Pro Shot 1 1/8 inch square patches for loose patches and 1 3/4 square patches for tight patches.

This from the Nosler website regarding cleaning.

"Finish with a patch lightly coated with gun oil such as Tetra Gun Oil™ or Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Accuracy Gun Oil™. Shooting a dry bore will greatly promote copper fouling."

I'm as finicky as anyone about cleaning, but I don't think that you'd cause any harm by trying it, tho I see little point in oiling a stainless barrel. I expect it's gone after a few shots. Just put some on a loose fitting patch and run it down the bore using a rod guide. Store the firearm muzzle down so it doesn't seep into the chamber. For .25 and .26 caliber I use Pro Shot 1 1/8 inch square patches for loose patches and 1 3/4 square patches for tight patches.

I think it is a little more than a lubricant, as I understand the logic, the graphite colloids "fill in" the micropores in the barrel surface. But who knows - a lot of voodoo in the shooting world.

I think it is a little more than a lubricant, as I understand the logic, the graphite colloids "fill in" the micropores in the barrel surface. But who knows - a lot of voodoo in the shooting world.

Wouldn't copper fouling fill the micropores too? Or the moly coatings that some people use on their bullets? You're correct about the voodoo.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back