Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

K

There are trade offs to both the OnXmaps app and GFP app, I live here and find that I use the OnX app way more because I can desk scout and preload waypoints, features, etc. I have had no issues viewing walk-in areas on the OnX app in off-line mode. Have you looked at the SW corner of SD south of the Black Hills at all for your trip oTrexGray?

That's great to hear, cause I'm a huge fan of OnX. Plus I'm familiar with it so I should have an easier time with navigation. & I've done a bunch of reading on it and from the information I've gathered it says there's probably a better population of deer in the Hills with less quality bucks and more hunters. As in the NW having less population, better quality, less hunters. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only going off information I've collected over the internet and I know that can sometimes be misleading. That's why I'm here talking with all of you!!! LOL

Might as well bring the boat also, catch a musky in Iowa or MN, leave the boat somewhere for the week and pick it up again on your way back east :eek:

Now that sounds like my kind of trip! Don't tempt me with a good time!! Chasing mulies & boating shovel heads!!! :cool:

The GF&P app use to be good but I'm not a fan of the updated one. If you have a Garmin GPS, you can download the public land maps from there website for FREE. I agree with everyone else, the week before rifle is the prime time for find muley bucks. Good glass should be on the top of your list, I run 10x42 vortex diamondbacks. Find a good glassing point and pick the area apart(be careful not to skyline yourself). When you find the muley does keep an eye on them, they might not have a buck in with them that early but I promise you he won't be more then 100 yrds away.

Thank you for the information! I do plan to buy a Garmin for the trip so I have as many useful tools as possible while in unfamiliar territory! I've been looking at the diamondback spotters with the 20X60X80! Does anyone have any recommendations on curved or straight? I was going with straight as I think it'd be easier on the neck to look into the bluffs and ravines. Not familiar with spotting scopes as there's zero purpose for them in my home state.

Thank you for the information! I do plan to buy a Garmin for the trip so I have as many useful tools as possible while in unfamiliar territory! I've been looking at the diamondback spotters with the 20X60X80! Does anyone have any recommendations on curved or straight? I was going with straight as I think it'd be easier on the neck to look into the bluffs and ravines. Not familiar with spotting scopes as there's zero purpose for them in my home state.

If you are going to buy a spotter, look to a higher grade of glass than the Diamondback. The DB is a fine range scope but I think you will be better served to purchase a reputable scope with ED glass or good 12 power binoculars mounted to a tripod. I have made this mistake in the past and later ponied up for a good scope after struggling with insufficient quality in glass. Western hunting is much more efficient and enjoyable with good glass.

oTrexGray-PS-I would explore the far SW corner in SD a little on OnX and give little credence to what you've been told on hunting pressure

If you are going to buy a spotter, look to a higher grade of glass than the Diamondback. The DB is a fine range scope but I think you will be better served to purchase a reputable scope with ED glass or good 12 power binoculars mounted to a tripod. I have made this mistake in the past and later ponied up for a good scope after struggling with insufficient quality in glass. Western hunting is much more efficient and enjoyable with good glass.

oTrexGray-PS-I would explore the far SW corner in SD a little on OnX and give little credence to what you've been told on hunting pressure

Okay, I'll start reading on it and take up on your advise!
& Will do! I will be sure to get on google earth tonight and give it a thorough look!
I might PM you later on with some topography ?'s!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Okay, I'll start reading on it and take up on your advise!
& Will do! I will be sure to get on google earth tonight and give it a thorough look!
I might PM you later on with some topography ?'s!
Thank you!

Take a look at this: http://www.rokslide.com/vanguard-endeavor-hd-65s-spotting-scope-shocking-performance-value/

I used to have a Diamondback. It was, ok, but I wanted better. I have a budget and right now, I can't drop big bucks on a spotter. Someday I will but right now I can't. You just have to make due with what you have/can afford. I ended up buying the Vanguard Endeavor HD after reading this review on Rokslide. It's not a Swaro but it's as good as you can buy for the money (maybe even better than spotters double or triple it's price)

I haven't had a lot of time behind the glass yet but I will Come the end of Sept while were scouting and hunting pronghorn in Wyoming.

South Dakota game fish and parks puts the hunting atlas on avenza maps for free. it doesn't have topography but it works in airplane mode so you don't need a gps. Maybe because I hunt a lot in western SD for ungulates and birds and don't find much need for the gps here. I carry one in other states. Just saying if you are buying one just for SD, you could put that money towards glass.

Might as well bring the boat also, catch a musky in Iowa or MN, leave the boat somewhere for the week and pick it up again on your way back east :eek:

You talking muskie made me have to get out this evening. Was able to stick a good fish for our area! Wasn't able to get length cause of water temps pushing that upper 70's mark. Mid 40's. Just a quick pic and release. Thought I would share!
20180816_221349.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at this: http://www.rokslide.com/vanguard-endeavor-hd-65s-spotting-scope-shocking-performance-value/

I used to have a Diamondback. It was, ok, but I wanted better. I have a budget and right now, I can't drop big bucks on a spotter. Someday I will but right now I can't. You just have to make due with what you have/can afford. I ended up buying the Vanguard Endeavor HD after reading this review on Rokslide. It's not a Swaro but it's as good as you can buy for the money (maybe even better than spotters double or triple it's price)

I haven't had a lot of time behind the glass yet but I will Come the end of Sept while were scouting and hunting pronghorn in Wyoming.

Thanks for the info! I took a look and its def something I'll look into. Not trying to break the bank but it seems hard to do without getting quality glass!

South Dakota game fish and parks puts the hunting atlas on avenza maps for free. it doesn't have topography but it works in airplane mode so you don't need a gps. Maybe because I hunt a lot in western SD for ungulates and birds and don't find much need for the gps here. I carry one in other states. Just saying if you are buying one just for SD, you could put that money towards glass.

I may just do that. I would probably be a little more savvy with my phone, while saving $$ in the process!

I'm thinking of maybe going up earlier around the Archery antelope opener and doing a little pre-scouting for some deer. I think it would be nice to at least get a feel for the land before we head up for muleys. Could find out some useful information so we don't go in blind! Possibly, even come out with an animal.

Archery deer in SD opens September 1st now I believe

Back