MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best month to scout for archery elk Northern CO

jvanhoy

So not quite sure how I’ve pulled this off but I have the wife thinking about a vacation to CO next year for our 20 year anniversary. We will fly into Denver and stay a couple nights then head up to Steamboat for a few more nights where I elk hunt. My question is when does the snow melt off at 10k? I want to put out a few cameras to leave till September. Not so much worried about finding elk or sign just being able to hike around where I hunt. Also any suggestions on anywhere else to stay a couple nights that she would enjoy?

Last edited:
jvanhoy two brothers live in Asburn /Burke area they both hunt and hike Mom hiked Kilangaro!H3ll I puke above 8000ft.Send me a message !Big Al comiing to visit Jan.1st..Opener of Javelina And Deer in Az.Dumb AZZ!

Wow this is taking a strange and confusing turn!!! So can anyone answer my questions to when the snow will melt off around 10k in Colorado???

Dont know about Colorado, but that elevation around here doesnt melt off until early to mid July.

I'm with ya on the hike and trail cam thing. That was always my goal but couldn't get the Mrs. to think that would be fun to hike 8 miles with me ! If you can get her to do it I would risk the life of a couple older trail cams. If they are a long ways from the road and over some wallows that you plan to hunt early season then I think it could be a benefit if they are still there during season and you take a card reader in with you on your hunt. I would recommend taking some wire to wrap around them so they stay in position real solid if other critters play with them, and also put them up high enough that average Joe may not see them. If you will be hunting mid to late September I personally wouldn't bother as I would be chasing rutting/bugling elk then, not sitting on wallows like I've done the first week. I am FAR from an experienced elk hunter but I like your enthusiasm, go get em!

If it's anything like this year in Steamboat....3rd week in June. I work in Steamboat 2-3 days a week. Youre more likely to catch the ever elusive hipster on trail cam anywhere within 20 miles of Steamboat than an elk. If your wife is anything like mine, she would probably enjoy Rmnp in Estes. Plenty of unhuntable elk there to look at.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back