Caribou Gear

338 win mag reloading information

Heading to Colorado this fall and starting to develop a load for my 338 win mag, always ran the 225 gr accubond; they've pounded black bear and mule deer, but started looking into the 210 gr Barnes ttsx and the 230gr Hornady eld-x, the accubond had acceptable accuracy but wasn't "great" 1.25-1.5". Any luck with either of these bullets as far as performance on elk? What powders and what velocities was everyone seeing for accuracy? Thanks for the help!

I've shot the eld-x in 7mm and 260 both have performed with really good results ranging from antelope to elk, haven't reloaded for 338 with those though. I would think some good powders for that would be; H1000, retumbo, or RL 33 best of luck.

I have gotten 5-shot, sub-5" groups at 300 yards even with a bit of side wind while shooting off-the-shelf 338 rounds using a sandbag or two. Federal Premium 250 gr Nosler Partitions. Maybe I got lucky with my rifle or perhaps more precision is needed depending on how you plan to use your rifle.

I've shot 2 elk with the 210 ttsx, no experience with the eld-x. The 210 ttsx worked fine. I didn't recover either bullet as the range was not that far (75 and 200 yrds). I know I was using Ramshot Hunter powder, but don't remember what velocity I was getting or the charge. I'll try and find my notes from those loads. I shoot partitions now out of that gun.

I get great accuracy with a 185 TTSX and IMR 4064 powder, 62-63 grains and .070 off lands, about 3,000 ft/sec

In the .338 I have had great luck using bullets 200gr or heavier with alliants reloader 17.
In my rifle, a Savage 116, I found that the listed max loading was way off. But obviously use caution and work up slowly till you notice pressure sighns and then back it off a bit. Then play with seating depth.
I saw some noticable accuracy in the .338 win mag after using a crimp die also.
Good luck loading.

In the .338 I have had great luck using bullets 200gr or heavier with alliants reloader 17.
In my rifle, a Savage 116, I found that the listed max loading was way off. But obviously use caution and work up slowly till you notice pressure sighns and then back it off a bit. Then play with seating depth.
I saw some noticable accuracy in the .338 win mag after using a crimp die also.
Good luck loading.

I also have a Savage model 116 and that's what I've been noticing. It always liked the Hornady 200gr sst's but from what I've read they aren't much good for elk. Running Max loads in the gun produces 2790 fps with the 225 gr accubond with 71.5 grs of imr-4350. 2775 fps with the 230gr eld-x with 74 gr rl-19.

Anything that weighs 200gr and is moving over 1800 fps would have to be lethal on anything. Even if it we're a glass marble.
I happen to like SST and Nosler hunting ballistic tips.
Haven't personally shot an elk with one, but as a taxidermist I can say those bullets kill elk. And according to the guys that were there they went down quickly.

As an acomplished shooter I haven't gotten good groups past 400yrds with SST bullets. The accubonds have always shot well for me also. The ELD-X bullets shot well in my .300 win mag, but haven't pushed any in the .338 yet .
But I don't hunt my .338 where I expect shots over 300yrds. So SST or Ballistic Tips are cheaper to run and work fine for me on deer and bear.
I use and prefer my .300 win mag for long distance shooting and hunting, because the flatter projectory makes hitting targets at over 400yrds alot easier and less critical of exact range.
I wouldn't be afraid to hunt elk out to 400yrds with SST bullets in a good .338 win mag.
Just my opinion, but I have seen good results.

That's what I'm trying to develope, something that will put down an elk at a variety of ranges. I really like the principle of the Barnes and weight retention, but you hear guys saying how at further distances when velocity drops below 2200 fps (350-400 yards) they can act like an fmj. I didn't know if this was the exception or the norm.

That is one of the reasons I go down in weight is to keep the velocity a little higher and to match the length of the bullet to a conventional bullet. I have shot deer and antelope from 20 to 320 yards with 85 grain TSX out of my 243 and had impressive results. It has a muzzle velocity of around 3100 fps. I shoot 165 ttsx out of the 300 win mag, only shot deer so far with it, but also impressive at the short range I've shot them. That round is a little shy of 3000 fps. Get them going as fast as you can accurately and I think you will be impressed.

I've been using the .338WM since the 80's. Really have gotten to like it quite well. The load I use is 225 gr Nosler Partition or Hornady Spire Point. Either bullet shoots to the same point in my rifle. Smaller game (antelope, hayfield deer ) I prefer the Hornaday, for stuff like big mule on up I load the Noslers. 70 grs. IMR 4831 Federal BenchRest Primer. Never did put it through a chronograph, but it's a fairly moderate load, very manageable but kills right well, put literaly tons of meat in the freezer over the years with it and see no reason to change.

I was very impressed with the 230gr eld-x today. Velocity was 2780 fps and it shot a .25 inch group twice off the lead sled. Now my issue is that when not in the lead sled it shoots 1.5 inches from sand bags. It was....odd to say the least. Always liked the lead sled for load developement but this was a weird result. Any opinions on if it was more likely the gun/load or more likely me?

A little flench will open up the groups for sure. Try a good rest on the bags in a way that provides free recoil and use your off hand to support the rear of the stock . Some find this keeps them from pulling the forearm around in anticipation of the recoil.
I prefer a good grip on the forearm myself, but if I suspect myself of pulling the rifle around as I break the shot, I will shoot so the rifle rests freely on the bags or my pack and see if it tightens my groups . Sometimes it helps. Especially on longer shots.

I have been shooting the 225 gr accubond and the 230gr ELDX out of my Model 70 26" barrel. When I do my part the ELDX shoots better than ½ moa @2880fps off bags with 73.5gr of Reloder 26, Nosler Brass, and WLMR primers, 0.030 off the lands. The accubond shoots ~1moa @ 2950fps off bags with 74.0gr Reloder 23, nosler brass, WLMR primers, 0.020 off the lands. I had to put a 375 H&H mag well/ejector/bolt stop in my Model 70 to get close to the lands. I never shot better than 1 moa with this rifle before I extended the mag. In fact I never could get the ELDX to shoot better than 1.5 moa I put in the longer mag well. Hope this helps.

string.jpggroup.jpg

Last edited:
Ditch the lead sled!! Like stated it's more than likely a flinch or poor shooting form that's opening the groups. You need to get yourself into a comfortable position. I usually like a bipod and rear bag setup. Adjust things until your comfortable and don't squeeze the grip of the rifle. Let it recoil and let your shoulder and body absorb the recoil.

I had an old 7mm Mag Model 70 rebored earlier this year to .338 Win. It shoots 210 partitions sub MOA. Can't wait to try it on bison this fall.

What about a 225 ttsx I use them behind a max load of IMR 4350. It’s a bear flattener

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back