Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Why Lighted Nocks?

Pat92

Hey everyone,

I know there has been some discussion on which brand of lighted nocks everyone prefers, but im curious why people are going with lighted nocks. This will be my first year archery hunting and i picked up a pack of nocturnals at the local shop to try out but im wondering why some people have switched to a lighted nock and why people stay away from them. As always, appreciate the insight.

the reason for a lighted nock is to see the arrow both in flight and after the shot. Being able to better see where the arrow hits can have a great impact on what your next action is. This is true for both the naked eye and on video. Finding the arrow after the shot can be just as critical. Maybe not so much on a clean pass-through because you would likely find the arrow anyway but if it isn't clean and its at night a lighted nock can help.

two years ago I was helping a buddy blood trail a whitetail buck at night. We got to a point where the deer made a circle and we could not determine which way he went. We shut our lights off and slowly scanned around looking for light and I saw a very faint green glow so we walked towards it to find the buck had expired on the opposite side of a large log. There is no way we would have found him that night and would have struggled to find him at day until we would have gotten past that log and looked back. We got the meat back at least 8 hours fresher because of the lighted nock.

There is another aspect to the conversation about how much technology should be allowed into archery hunting. Should it only be stick bows or should it include compounds that shoot 125 yards with an electric sight that ranges and places the pin for you. To each his own, to some extent.

Kenton nailed it. Arrows are expensive and I do everything I can to help my odds of finding a shot animal. Seeing that nock helps me know how good of shot I made so I wait appropriate time to search/trail and if I missed I have a better chance of finding a $20 arrow....

How do you guys manage your lighted nocks, do you have them on every arrow so that you are always shooting the same weight, or do you only have them on a set of your hunting arrows?

As previously stated.

1. where did the shot go
2. if I lose my arrow I go back at night and usually find the arrow
3. path of the deer. Last year I shot a doe. She takes off and goes over a bank (or so I thought). As she heads into the woods and goes down a small bank she turns 90 degrees. I can see the green lighted nock as she runs to the west. I would have gone over the steep bank if not for seeing the green lighted nock. Helped me find that deer.

good luck to all
the dog

I don't use them anymore.. I've had several different brands and have had nocks not light up on all of them, i just stick to a highly visible fletching, doesn't always work but then again neither do lighted nocks

The arrow tells the tale. Lighted knocks make it easier to find the arrow. I don’t use them, but can see how they’d be helpful.

I'll throw in a lighted nock tip. As far as tuning your bow. Try shooting a lighted nock at 50 or so yards and watch your arrow flight. Done during low light it's a great way to see the arrow path and flight. Does the arrow fly straight?

I agree with what others have said.

1. If you know where you hit the deer it can completely change how you decide to track the deer. Even with videoing my hunts it helps you understand the hit so much better. I typically have a lap top in the truck. If the shot it is questionable I will go back and look at it on my computer. My son hit one in the liver last year. I thought it was a perfect shot but after watching it we let him go for 6 hours. Found him dead 500 yards from the shot.

2. I have them on every arrow in my quiver.

3. I practice with them a lot. I have been shooting at 90 yards the last few nights. No I don't plan to shoot that far but it is fun to practice. You want to shoot what you are hunting. I get they are expensive so you don't have to shoot them all the time but I wouldn't hunt with something that I haven't shot. Same as a broadhead.

4. I am going to use nockturnals again. They fly right with my factory nocks to 90. I bought a bunch of Glory nocks to try. They have a much better on/off system. Problem is they are different dimensions than factory nocks so I would have to adjust my nock points and d-loop. I don't want to mess with it.

5. They do help recovery specially if the arrow is in the animal. I made a bad shoot on a doe a few years back. I hit her in the ham. She only went about 80 yards. I was walking in the general direction, I turned off my light and I could see the nock in her.

I am not familiar with New Mexico's history for lighted nocks though I'm thankful MT pulled it's head outta the sand and now permit them.
It's a bit humorous and fits with the usual support/opposition... MT Traditional Bowhunter Assoc opposed them, MT Bowhunter Assoc supported them. During the public comment time frame, 1515 comments received. 1400 in support. 115 opposed.

I think first and foremost, speaking for myself, arrow recovery is much more successful.
Second, I value the much greater visible flight of the arrow.

I use them on my arrows, but for me I buy the unbranded ones on Ebay for $14.50 for a 6 pack. They are identical to Nockturnals, give them a try, you have to make sure when searching for them that they are automatically lighted nocks.

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions. I went out and gave them a try, I did notice a significant change in my impact point at 40 yards, 30 and in was dead on. Im gonna keep practicing with them and adjust the bow as needed to see how I like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back