Yeti GOBOX Collection

Archery Lopes - Who's going?

Picking up a buddy Friday night in Casper to help him scout his antelope units. Checked the regs and realized my doe tag is open for archery and my unit is on the way to his. So, looks like the bow will be coming along and hunting season will officially start in two days. The focus is still scouting his units, but if a stalk presents itself it will be a fun way to dust off the cobwebs. Can't wait!

Every year I think pronghorns are mythical creatures during archery season that make an appearance but disappear like a ghost. put on a good stalk and go over the hill they just disappear. Or I suck at hunting...

probably number 2, but I like to think that they are mythical creatures and will continue chasing them.

Don't worry btweedy...it happens to all of us. I blew 2 stalks on day one and then got on a herd with 2 big bucks and they disappeared into thin air. Second day I blew a stalk and lost 2 herds.

MT archery antelope just opened up but it's too hot to kill anything ethically.

I must be unethical i killed my buck yesterday in wy, yes it was hot but he was quartered and on ice in around half a hour, then i had to drink all those rapidly warming beers.... i am gonna wait till november to fill my does tags most likely.

I have some good friends in NW Nebraska that kill goats every year behind decoys - thats the only way they hunt. I am going to be trying this thing out in about a month, think it will work?

View attachment 85980 View attachment 85981

From experience.....

Those stakes look weak, may bend in the wind and even worse when you try to push them into Hard ground.

The design look really difficult to secure into hard packed dirt/clay. Take it to the alley and try to push the decoy in while holding a bow and still hiding behind the decoy (real world situation)....

Another issue I for-see with the design is in using two stakes, you now cannot easily pivot the decoy to the changing direction an antelope my approach from.

I also wonder about the thickness of your decoy material. It might be too flexible... or not.

Some pics of my home-made decoy, which went through a few design changes.

- Single stake which can be locked in position (grey knob), with a kickplate for stomping into rockhard ground.
- Folding spring loaded hinges, and a brace to lock open.
- Window screen for viewing.
- Shoulder strap for carrying

And don't forget to get some calls, they really help in decoying.

Just some friendly suggestions to help you enjoy what is one of the most exciting hunts, archery Pronghorns with decoys! :)

Attachments

• DSC01251.jpg
    DSC01251.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01250.jpg
    DSC01250.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01249.jpg
    DSC01249.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC01246.jpg
    DSC01246.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 135
Almost sealed the deal with this guy. In my two days out there were many blown opportunities. Can't wait to be back at it this weekend!

nidB77D.jpg

Nice! Walking Buffalo, have you had any success with the setup?

I drew the rifle tag in Montana so I have to wait for the general archery season before i can chase the critters with my bow. i got lucky and drew an extra doe tag also so hoping to bring home two antelope. will update my success and failures as season gets under way.

I got within 40 yards of a decent buck yesterday in a rain storm. I drew back behind some sage brush and was standing up for my shot and a doe I never saw busted me and blew and they both got the hell out of there. :mad:

I got within 40 yards of a decent buck yesterday in a rain storm. I drew back behind some sage brush and was standing up for my shot and a doe I never saw busted me and blew and they both got the hell out of there. :mad:

BUMMER! Good experience for ya though!

I am flying out next week have not held a decent goat tag in about five years so I ma looking forward to getting after them for a few days.

Didn't draw a rifle tag but was able to pick up a surplus archery tag. Stoked to try it out!

Reactions: LCH
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back