How to field clean a skull for Euro Mounting

TrickyTross

NC just passed some new rules about bringing meat and antlers back into the state. No bones on the meat (everything must be de-boned) and for antlers, no brain matter or tissue on the skull. So they optimal way to get it back is to cape the head, cut the skull cap out and roll.... However, Im that guy...
I would rather have a Euro done, and I know it will be more labor intensive. I had planned on talking with the "team" and seeing about hauling a turkey fryer out and boiling the heads, or, taking a drill and configuring some tip to get all the stuff out of the canals and cavities and then putting it in some hydrogen peroxide..... Or I could just call and see what the taxidermist in the area would charge to get it "transport legal".....

Have any of yall done anything like what I am suggesting or have any experience with this?

Take it to the car wash and pressure wash it

I use a pressure washer and I still boil it for a while.

If that was the law I think I would just pay someone to Euro for me. 75-125 is a drop in the bucket compared to what most hunts cost.

Simmer it for about 45 minutes, scrape it, repeat, and then use a car wash pressure washer on the soapy setting while the skull is still warm from the simmering. The more stuff you can get off before you simmer, the better.

I'm that guy too, I will be bringing my bucket and boiling my skull if I'm lucky enough to get one. Remove as much flesh as possible, simmer for a while, remove loose flesh and repeat.

Thats how I do it, then I mix strong hydrogen peroxide with climbers chalk to make a paste, using a spoon, and brush, I get it into all the nooks and crannies, leave in the sun for a few hours then pressure wash again, it's the nasal bones that are a real ball ache, so a screwdriver will help.
Cheers
Richard
Simmer it for about 45 minutes, scrape it, repeat, and then use a car wash pressure washer on the soapy setting while the skull is still warm from the simmering. The more stuff you can get off before you simmer, the better.

A local taxidermist can save you the trouble of all this and they appreciate the business. I'm sure someone local to where you hunt could give a recommendation.

But if you plan to do it yourself

I think Buzz had a good breakdown on his method here.

BuzzH
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Come on, this shit isnt rocket science, I'm just finishing up 4 skulls.

Forget the burying and do this.

Buy some Sal Soda from a taxidermy supply shop, get some magnesium carbonate at the same time. Next go to the nearest beauty supply store and grab up some 40-50 volume creme developer.

Put about 1/2 cup of sal soda per gallon of water in a large pot, heat it up to not quite boiling and let the skulls soak for about 4 hours. Scrape off whats left of the meat, the nasal passages will be clean as a whistle. Repeat the above only this time use about a half a bottle of dawn dish soap and keep the water about 160-180 degrees for a few hours, that will draw out most all the grease from the skull. During the summer, I just leave the skulls in the dawn solution for 3-4 weeks, does about the same thing.

Finally, mix magnesium carbonate and the creme developer into a thinish paste. Paint it on the skulls, making sure not to get any on the antlers. Wrap it in a wal-mart or other plastic bag. Leave the skull for 2-5 days, rinse off and let it dry.

I've done probably 20 euros at this point and to get a good finished product you really want to take your time... and honestly it's not a project do in the field. You can definitely try the propane turkey fryer method (for best results I recommend adding powdered biz to the water, anything with chlorine with slowly break down the skull over time) but to do it well you need to do it low and slow over the course of an entire day. You can definitely rush the process and crank the water temp but it won't turn out as well.

Personally I think if you cut as much meat as you can off the skull, use your knife to cut/loose the cartilage around the ear canals, you should be able to get it transport legal just by pressure washing it and using a stainless steel scratch brush.

If you're going to go the taxidermist route, I'd still take the time to get all the skin and meat off the skull - eyes out, jaw separated from the rest of the skull, skin off the roof of the mouth, brain out, and then let it dry. Beetles will make the fastest work of this and it'll save the taxi a lot of time. Might even get a discount, and should get it mailed to you faster.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back