Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lazy Friends

Gwknowles

Hey guys,
This is my first post. I’m trying to get a group of guys together to go out west on an elk hunt. They talk a big game but when it comes into buying preference points or planning the hunt they all seem to back out. I am going to go in 2019. Anyone else ran into this issue? Anyone from Indiana Kentucky Illinois want to form a group and go out there? If I end up going solo I’m gonna have to go with an outfitter because I have no experience in the mountains. Advice?
GK

Welcome to HuntTalk.

I say leave em behind. They are only in your way.

You don't need an outfitter. You have a year to acquire knowledge and millions of acres of public land await. You won't regret it.

After many trips planned and me still being the only one to go, i started planning trips so it was just me. I tried getting guys to put deposits down, but they never would. Id rather hunt alone than not at all.

You vould also advertise for a hunting buddy on your local foeum or on here and meet up with someone halfway.

Welcome to HuntTalk.

I say leave em behind. They are only in your way.

You don't need an outfitter. You have a year to acquire knowledge and millions of acres of public land await. You won't regret it.

^^This.

I've tried to get guys here to go and same deal, when its time to get serious, they back out. I've been going solo, DIY since 2002. You don't need a guide or outfitter to have a fun hunt.
Read, research, ask questions. Most, if not all information you need is right here.

Stick around and be active and post stories and get into discussions. Let us get to know you. You might find someone to hunt with over time from here. I've met a lot of guys on here and they have become awesome friendships and hunting partners.

Last edited:
I've been in the same boat. Just do it, man. Just go.

I regret not starting a decade sooner. These bodies are finite and you're not getting any younger. Experience the mountains while you're able.

I've been in the same boat. Just do it, man. Just go.

I regret not starting a decade sooner. These bodies are finite and you're not getting any younger. Experience the mountains while you're able.

Sage advice.

You should never feel like you have to pull your friend's hair to get them to go hunting. If they flake out over buying preference points, imagine when they have to pony up for gas, lodging, etc...

You can't make someone do what they aren't committed to do. Even if you get them to actually go on the hunt, getting them to hunt will be the next problem.

Just do it. Have some sort of mapping GPS and keep it a simple truck camp and you'll be fine.

Another "just do it!" from me. Went through some of that myself.

But be warned: once you go and do it yourself a couple of times and are successful, you will suddenly have at least 13 friends that have had a change of heart and are now ready to go with you any time you will have them. Funny thing though - by that time, you'll probably just prefer to continue doing it yourself.

many a barstool hunter out there. All you need is a tag a rifle gas money and a few hundred dollars worth of gear, and most importantly a burning desire to do it. The last is the hardest to get and the easiest to lose (for most people).

I'm in similar situation as you. I go out west every year, sometimes solo, but it is nice to have someone to split gas/driving with. I'm in northern IN not sure where your located, but I would like to start doing one elk hunt a year. I have been building points in some states for years and others just started, but there are tons of OTC options as well as second chance draw options. I wouldn't rule out an outfitter for your first trip, but it isn't necessary. A good outfitter could be worth it, but I would be up front and let them know you want to learn as much as possible. Not that you are only worried about filling a tag. You don't need a ton of special gear to hunt out west. Start by truck camping and build your equipment as you find how you like to hunt. I use a 2 man ozark trail 4 season tent. Cost less then $50. I haven't encountered any heavy snows with it yet but its light, keeps rain off me. There is a ton of useful info on this site, stick around and be active.

Everytime we are getting a trip going the first thing that happens is an email goes out to all invited who might be interested. First email is for interest and availability. Second spells out any extra prep involved like putting in for points or buying tags with dates that needs to happen by. That way everything is out there and in writing for everyone to see and anyone who doesn't do the prep work can't cry about it.

I cut one friend off as he did nothing in prep packing or planning, just mooched and got rewarded from my work and dedication. It was to frustrating to hunt with him, took away from my enjoyment. You may find someone here to share a hunt with that's just as passionate as you are. I only make one big trip a year so I want it to count!

Sage advice.

x2. I think going with a guide is a good idea and you will find out soon whether you like solo hunting or not. I personally prefer hunting with friends/family over solo hunting, but it is fun to experience both.

I have a couple hunting partners and they are great. One can't go every year and the other has all the time and money but he has hunts planned with outfitters and we can't always make our dates match and I don't use outfitters. This year I am taking my daughter on her first trip. It is tougher now, I have no one to help drive or split the gas with. I just learned on my own went my first time.

I’m hunting Colorado and Wyoming DIY style by myself this fall. After this years expense next year will be license and fuel cost. I’m set up to truck camp and/or pack in hunt to get the job done.
I’m from the Evansville Indiana area.
Man I’m so excited to be going! Just a few more things need to be done and I’ll be ready.

For my hunting I divide it into two categories: if it's "my" hunt, i'm prioritizing what i want to get out of a hunt first. That usually means hunting solo to eliminate potential problems from others (guys backing out last minute, wanting to leave early, etc), or if i can line up a dependable buddy i'll consider taking the help. The other category is more of a casual hunt centered around doing it with friends. I may or may not have my own tag in these scenarios, but either way helping the other guy or doing what they want becomes the priority. If they want to take an afternoon off, cool. If they back out of the trip last minute, no problem. This mindset has been helpful, as it helps me plan my hunting around either "my hunt" or "their hunt". Might sound selfish, but its helped me relax a bit when i bring buddies along as i know going into it that i'm primarily trying to help them have an enjoyable hunt.

Back