Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lazy Friends

GW,

I have done it both ways. I lean toward having a hunting partner for several reasons. 1 Safety - 2 Calling game - 3 Scouting - 4 security for spouse, - 5 Help getting game out - 6 Sharing the expierence - no one can really appreciate the hunt like someone that was with you on it, - 7 saving money- 8 share fuel costs etc. Probably a couple more if I think hard.
I have looked this year for a partner myself but so far no luck for this year but may have found a solid partner for next year. However I wouldn't cancel going hunting as it still can be a great experience but don't give up looking either.

Do what we did, just go! Have a blast bring back meat, great pics and stories. The group will grow.

We had a group of four that were supposed to go to CO last year (Mom, me, and two buddies). Well one buddy didnt put in for his preference point the year prior like we instructed and the other cancelled at the last minute because he didnt feel confident in hiking around Colorado. Ultimately Mom and I had already committed that regardless of if anyone else went, we were going and so we did. We had an awesome time and in the end both friends were kicking themselves for not going. We're planning another trip next year and the two are saying they want to go this time. I guess time will tell but we're not counting on it.

As others have said. Just go do it, and plan to be by yourself. I had been trying to organize a group for two years, and as soon as applying for tags came along, so did all their excuses. Granted two have kids, things can always be arranged in such a way that they are cared for while you are gone. So last year my dad and I went guided elk, and this year I set up a hunt by myself backpacking in. I invited everyone like normal, but decided I am going it alone regardless of the response, and if anyone wanted to go, then great. I had my whole application strategy figured out before I invited them, which helped, because I got one guy to bite (Out of 5), and we are headed out this October.

Even if he was unable to go, I am totally self sufficient should the need arise. Packing out would suck alone, but better than sitting at home another season.

My solution for the big talk is money is paid upfront and no refunds. Want to go pronghorn hunting in a unit we can all draw for 2019 and we ride out in a camper with food and booze for 7 days door to door? Estimate is $750 a person for the shared expenses. Money due now. Otherwise, this conversation is over. A bit short of money this month, again? Yep, likely will be tight next year in late summer, too. Not sure if can get vacation so will let me know next May? This is the wrong adventure for you. Hunts for groups do not usually go well when is a last-minute thing and have late drops and adds.

I have traveled with friends near and far and use the same approach. Sure, tag along to Hawaii but the chopper tour and catamaran tour and food for the condo, etc, is due up front. I find the level of commitment is better when some skin in the game sooner rather than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back