First Pronghorn hunt...any suggestions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I did not draw! My heart is breaking with all of the antelope talk

Hello,

I will be going on my first antelope hunt this October out in South Dakota. I've hunted deer out in the same area. I know the land pretty well. There is a ton of public land out tgere. Does anyone have recommendations and/or tips for antelope hunting? Thanks!
Hello,

I will be going on my first antelope hunt this October out in South Dakota. I've hunted deer out in the same area. I know the land pretty well. There is a ton of public land out tgere. Does anyone have recommendations and/or tips for antelope hunting? Thanks!

I have not hunted out that way. But have hunted in NM for antelope. OnXHunt worked great! I really recommend it if you are close to public and private land. A great set of binoculars and a well sighted in rife is also top on the list!

Two years later and I drew! The creep was tough to fight.
You don't quite understand south Dakota draws do you? As a bonus system, there isn't as drastic creep as a true PP system. South Dakota also right now doesn't have an issue with a massive amount of NR high point holders. With other states getting worse though, no doubt the last two years have seen an influx of interest in SD and it's likely to get worse. NE honestly isn't going to be far behind.

Everytime I see your posts, they're combative. Give being a keyboard warrior a break and contribute to users in a positive way!
No need to get upset. Clearly you don't read all my posts then.

SD draw system isn't setup where you are ever guaranteed a tag unless there are tags leftover below the 3PP level. Just look at how the black hills deer draw is. Its ugly because even with max points I think the chance is under 5%.

No need to get upset. Clearly you don't read all my posts then.

SD draw system isn't setup where you are ever guaranteed a tag unless there are tags leftover below the 3PP level. Just look at how the black hills deer draw is. Its ugly because even with max points I think the chance is under 5%.
👍

2019 lope (haven't done 2020 yet)
95 applicants with 5PP or more in the draw. 23 of them drew which is a pretty high rate of knocking the high point holders down (which is a pretty big group of 5 to 14 point holders, 14 being the maximum anyone could potentially have). If you look at a state like Wyoming, 713 maximum point holders in 2018 was only reduced to 621 for the 2019 draw. That means there is roughly 6 more years until the top holders are all gone and then it will just be replaced by a new group doing the same thing. That's some serious creep.

I do fear that SD is going to get there soon. If you have been tracking the draws the last 5 years, you will notice some fast scary increases at the bottom end of the point spectrum. With the limited amount of licenses SD gives to NR in relation to other western states, it's not going to take long for the system to look like the black hills deer draw which at this point is just pure silliness.

Capture+_2020-08-19-22-53-56.png

Max point holder has a 5.6 chance to draw and he finally hit his tag. That guy with 14 could theorically never draw due to the massive influx of people applying that have 2 to 6 points. Its so flooded that even with cubed chances, it's not enough for that fella.

Guess I had the same comparison for WY so here it is. After 2018 draw, 17967 applicants from 5 to 12 points dropped to 15117. Thats a 19% decrease compared to the 32% drop in the SD example. It's a 1 year difference so I'll owe some updating with a perfect comparison later.

Congrats on finally drawing your tag! You’ll have a blast...hands down my favorite pleasure hunt. My best tip is to keep the sun at your back early and late. You can get away with some surprisingly bold moves that way. And they are deceptive when judging range- use the rangefinder until you get a good idea of scale.
Very good tips, there. Thank you. I will post pictures of the hunt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back