Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Thinking about a new rifle

I'm thinking a nice Tikka T3 Hunter.

I just bought my second Ruger M77 MKII. First one in 257 Roberts, new one in 280 Rem.
Both are fine shooters.

Cruise the used racks and see what's out there. Most shops will have a warranty on used guns. You can get some humdinger deals if you are patient and take your time.
Yep, some good deals on wood stock guns last few shows I was at. There is little demand for those older once sought after guns as the guys who value them are all getting too old and the next generation could care less.

Really the same is true for many antiques.

See if you can find a deal on a Model 70 in maple wood if you want something out of the ordinary or a X-bolt White Gold Medallion. They're a bit more money, but you deserve it. Here's a Browning/Leupold combo I recently put together.
Ray's.jpg

I don't know what I would do without my model 70 featherweight.
They look great, action is smooth, and they shoot fantastic right out of the box. Mine is chambered in .300 win mag.

I have a nice model 70 with a wood stock that I found for 500 bucks at a pawn shop because somebody put an Indian head penny in the stock. I thought it looked cool and was happy at the price. Also check out gunbroker, I just picked up a nice Kimber Classic for 650. Just got to look for the deals.

See if you can find a deal on a Model 70 in maple wood if you want something out of the ordinary or a X-bolt White Gold Medallion. They're a bit more money, but you deserve it. Here's a Browning/Leupold combo I recently put together.
View attachment 85770

Beautiful setup. Too bad Leupold (and everybody else) quit production of high gloss scopes. (But Leupold will do custom gloss on some of their higher end scopes for a price)

I would look for an older weatherby mark v if you want a pretty wood gun around 800 or maybe one of the dresses up vanguards. For the older one maybe a 270 bee or a 6.5-300 in a new vanguard.

Action alone is worth it. I'd be ok with that price, but I'm known to like my Remingtons. I also am more of a synthetic stock guy. Tons of options for a Remmy out there. Depending on the age of the rifle, a good smith can work magic on the trigger. mtmuley

Action alone is worth it. I'd be ok with that price, but I'm known to like my Remingtons. I also am more of a synthetic stock guy. Tons of options for a Remmy out there. Depending on the age of the rifle, a good smith can work magic on the trigger. mtmuley

You can buy new Remington 700 stainless actions complete with trigger for about that price. A good smith can make the factory triggers serviceable. Normally it would be desirable to disassemble them and hone the critical parts to remove burrs, etc. In the distant past I bought a few 700s for the action.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back