Minnesota 2018 Season

Knowing that the draw was held late yesterday for MBRB I was eager to check the results when I woke up this morning. After getting the dogs squared away and making coffee, I was able to log in and was greeted with a successful message:

Capture.JPG

Next step in the process is to pass my shooting proficiency test prior to the orientation date. Just need to find time to make a quick pit stop at my local 'accredited' shop and make it happen in the next few weeks. Also planning to start looking over aerials and topos as we aren't allowed to start scouting until after the orientation date. Having never set foot in this park (I drive by it every day though) I'd like to get at least some idea of where to start.

Awoke today to the first tinge of fall in the air; 54 degrees when I stepped outside with the dogs. I'll be heading out of town tomorrow to spend a long weekend at a cabin fishing and generally enjoying a final hoorah of summer. Friday is the draw date for another hunt, but this one only notifies those that get drawn. Hopefully when I return to civilization on Sunday I'll have good news on the draw waiting in my inbox.

Yes fall was in the air today...getting me excited for the early goose season in WI. Will be following along and good luck from right across the St. Croix river

Hope everyone had a good Labor Day Weekend. In between hosting a get-together and attending the State Fair I was able to drop by a local archery shop to take my qualification test.

image1.jpg

The hunt I drew only required the standard proficiency but I managed to shoot to sharpshooter status. With that, I'm all set to attend the orientation next week ahead of the hunt. We were also able to get to Cabelas yesterday and pick up a new pair of climbing sticks for the season. These should help me be a little more versatile in where I can hunt since I won't have to have an unbranched, straight tree to use my climber. I'm getting more and more excited for the season by the day. Only a few short weeks left to wait!

Orientation was last night and the MBRB certainly runs a tight ship. The meeting was a little long, but informative. There were three different park hunts present and after speaking to the 100+ person group we split up into our respective hunt groups. Cleary Lake was broken up into three different zones and picking 9th I had my choice of the three. Zone 1 was my choice, which is roughly outlined in red in the picture. I'll be sharing the zone with 6 other hunters who I was fortunate to meet last night and talk strategy for a bit. I'm definitely looking forward to working with the group to have a good hunt. There is a paved trail running through the zone that'll be open for use during the hunt, but I think there should be ample spots available. Scouting is open today and we have until September 22 to choose our stand sight. Now that all the red tape is out of the way, this looks to be a pretty fun hunt!

Zone1.JPG

Officially opening day eve now and it's going to be a warm opener: upper 80s for a high and a south wind. Not ideal deer hunting weather but short sleeves and a thermacell should help a little. Planning to hunt the Minnesota Valley NWR, and backup is a WMA if there are a bunch of cars in the NWR lot. Planning to get my gear organized and in my vehicle tonight and maybe sling a few more arrows, just because. Next post from me should be a live from the stand on the opener. Good luck to all the other MN folks venturing out tomorrow!

Love MN deer season. I’m a southern MN hunter so we have open spaces and slug guns. Big deer pushes and shooting running white tails. Can’t wait to see what other MN hunters are doing.

Good luck today, my first opener not being out in a while, spent the better part of this month so far getting my bear and leaving Wednesday for Montana, figured I better spend the weekend with the wife and kids.

Good luck, don't even have my license yet :) Maybe in a few weeks when it cools off.

Opening morning came bright and early for me. I didn’t even make it to my alarm set at 4:40. I was in the car at 5:00 and was the first car to the parking area.

I was all settled into my stand 45 minutes to legal light and my wicking base layers really got a workout today. Had a deer under me 20 minutes to legal time, and then 2 guys walk all around me with 8 minutes to go trying to find their tree. Hate that! Such is life on public land though.

27CE1BCD-C79D-4EEB-918E-F2CCE207DC18.jpg
After those guys came through the woods woke up and squirrels and birds started moving around. Funny how every squirrel sounds like a monster buck!

After about an hour, and with little warning two does pop into the clearing I am sitting over. I was able to stand and grab my bow without being noticed. I had just started putting tension on the string when the first doe got behind some brush. No shot. She then continues behind a large tree and I draw, but she doesn’t stop on the opposite side. No shot.

The second doe follows behind the tree and I remain at full draw. She clears the tree...and stops, quartering. I center pin, check level and drop the string. Thwack! Good hit. She grunts, bucks, turns and runs a half circle around my stand. Seconds later it’s silent.

4C45924E-7977-45D6-BBB5-8ED3F257EEEC.jpg

I hung my bow and took a few minutes to let the adrenaline subside then climbed down. Good blood at the shot site and even though I knew where she was headed I followed the blood. A short 20-30 yard track and there she was. Got both lungs and heart and the rage did it’s thing. Shot was at 7:40 and she was at the processors by 9:00. Couldn’t be happier with how the season started!

74ADB701-C44A-4034-9D54-0DA99B2F7709.jpg

Awesome morning! Congratulations, its a toasty 90 degrees down in the southern part of Minnesota.

Thanks. Toasty is an understatement, it’s downright hot today! I actually ended up hunting an SNA that I know well. It’s typically very busy in there but I decided to drive by just to see. When there wasn’t any cars parked I decided to hunt it. The south wind was a little better for that tree too and it isn’t quite the hike that the NWR would be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back