Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Minnesota 2018 Season

MN_Bowhunter4

Hello HuntTalk! I've enjoyed reading along with others live hunt threads and am inspired to create my own. If nothing else, this will serve as something of a journal for my own recollection of the season.

Minnesota is home to more than 12 million acres of public land spread across the state that I am happy to have access to. Living in close proximity to the largest metropolitan area in the state, I can access a myriad of State and Federal lands in about a half hours drive. While there certainly aren't large swaths available to me out my door, I do feel pretty lucky to have quite a few different options.

Licenses here are sold OTC and hunters are allowed one antlered deer and - depending on where you are hunting - any number of does. Additionally, the state offers drawn hunt opportunities that allow those drawn access to places like State Parks, Natl Guard Bases, etc. I have my name in a few of these hats with hopes of being drawn for more "exclusive" hunting opportunities.

As I eagerly await archery season opening on the third Saturday in September I plan to continue shooting my bow and getting as much scouting in as my busy schedule will allow. My plan is to update this thread with pictures and anecdotes as frequently as I am able in hopes that others may find it intriguing. From one public land owner to another, enjoy!

MN_Bowhunter4

If one were to drive up to northern MN for a bit of grouse hunting this fall, what national forest would one choose? I'm an old fan and neighbor (back in the day) of the Superior National Forest, but I do not know how the grouse hunting is up there anymore. Are there online resources to investigate (like drumming counts or bag checks)?

BrentD, the DNR has the drumming counts on their website http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2018/07/02/ruffed-grouse-counts-down-sharp-tailed-grouse-down-too/.

MN_bowhunter4 I'm about 2 hours West of you and will be bow hunting public ground as well this year with my bow, most of the public land places I hunt are less than 1000 acres and more likely in that 200-500 range. My goal is to take the kids with out on a little private ground I have permission to hunt and then to either take a doe or buck when they're with me or to take any deer from the ground on public land.

Good luck to you this season.

Good luck....I plan on doing more public land this year as for the last few I had a private spot and I'm tired of driving up there all the time fighting rush hour. :) So much of the local public I hunt is under water again this year, so we will see. Maybe I need to get a boat !

Good luck bowhunter4 Bring a little rain to" THE ZONE" Az. I would gladly hunt under water if we had some.Heck I'd take a sickly Jackalope.:cool:

Looks like a good time, glad you decided to start this up too!

Both of my folks are from Minnesota (south of the cities and up near the boundary waters) and while I barely get back there it looks like there is room to get away from crowds in some of that country.

I’ve had my eye on a new piece of ground for a while now and was finally able to get out there today. Apparently I was waiting for the 90 degree August heat to make the mile trek into the area I wanted to check out. It’s mostly CRP but the surrounding habitat has me excited.

With the predominant wind coming from the west, I’ll have to take the long way in most times. I managed to kick up this 6 point on the way in today.

There aren’t many trees to hang a stand in, which might be good since I won’t have to lug my gear in and out each time I’m hunting the area. A ground blind is really the only option here.

A5F515A5-A0E6-4AAD-84F3-5BB16891247C.jpg

B0CAC6D5-A53E-4ACC-B661-A4B564B9C419.jpg

Last edited:
If one were to drive up to northern MN for a bit of grouse hunting this fall, what national forest would one choose? I'm an old fan and neighbor (back in the day) of the Superior National Forest, but I do not know how the grouse hunting is up there anymore. Are there online resources to investigate (like drumming counts or bag checks)?

MNDNR put this out last month, BrentD: http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2018/07/02/ruffed-grouse-counts-down-sharp-tailed-grouse-down-too/

They’re saying the peak was last year and I believe it based on how many we were seeing @ deer camp and even in February at “snowmobile camp”. My time as a boy hunting ‘dem pahtridges’ and now in my infrequent visits back home is in the Chippewa NF.

Sorry for a semi-hijack, MNBowhunter...:) will be following. I won’t be able to make it back for rifle season this year, but still miss my home state now and then even after 26 years away.

I have a list of items I need/want to purchase ahead of the season. I can now cross one item off the list: 2018 MN Archery License. Just another month or so before the season starts!

I’ve had my eye on a new piece of ground for a while now and was finally able to get out there today. Apparently I was waiting for the 90 degree August heat to make the mile trek into the area I wanted to check out. It’s mostly CRP but the surrounding habitat has me excited.

With the predominant wind coming from the west, I’ll have to take the long way in most times. I managed to kick up this 6 point on the way in today.

There aren’t many trees to hang a stand in, which might be good since I won’t have to lug my gear in and out each time I’m hunting the area. A ground blind is really the only option here.

View attachment 85791

View attachment 85790

I'm curious what type of public land this is, because most if not all, other than state forest require you to remove your stand daily. Is this one of those special hunts? Nice to know there are deer there :)

This is a WMA. I definitely wasn’t clear, in that I’ll still have to lug a ground blind in and out, but it’ll be lighter than my stand. I am in for 4 different special hunts and will start to find out later this week if I’m drawn for any of them.

This is a WMA. I definitely wasn’t clear, in that I’ll still have to lug a ground blind in and out, but it’ll be lighter than my stand. I am in for 4 different special hunts and will start to find out later this week if I’m drawn for any of them.

Ah..good luck on the special draws. I used to hunt with the MBRB, but it was the good ol boys system so I have given up on that. Instead of the ground blind I suggest a small swivel chair and some of the camo material with sticks to hold it up. Way lighter....

Thats not the first time I’ve heard that about MBRB. This is my first year with them and if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly I should draw. I find out tomorrow on that one.

Good idea on the swivel chair and camo mesh. I really wanted to do a natural blind but the materials just aren’t there. A lot of really good ideas for ground blinds here though.

I never had any issue getting drawn always did every time I applied. It did seem as if certain people were getting favoritism with which days and which spots, but the access cant be beat.

I never had any issue getting drawn always did every time I applied. It did seem as if certain people were getting favoritism with which days and which spots, but the access cant be beat.

I went to the site for the first time in 8 years and WOW, what a difference. The hunts are so short it's almost useless, 3 days? When I put in for the hunts they were (4) 1 week stints, not (2) 3 day weekends. I have to believe the reason you draw now is no one applies, I mean for real, it's not worth my time for 3 days...you could sit for 3 days in your assigned/picked stand and not see anything. I'm unsure how it's run today, but wow what a difference. I wish you luck and can't wait to see what you see/shoot should either of you get drawn.

Today is drawing day for MBRB and my first choice hunt is undersubscribed. So, barring something really wonky with their reporting system I should be hunting a limited entry park this season. It's also closing day for applications into another LE hunt, but that one doesn't post success/failures. Hoping to have good news on both in the next few days or so! Stay tuned!

Today is drawing day for MBRB and my first choice hunt is undersubscribed. So, barring something really wonky with their reporting system I should be hunting a limited entry park this season. It's also closing day for applications into another LE hunt, but that one doesn't post success/failures. Hoping to have good news on both in the next few days or so! Stay tuned!

Good luck ! I talked with a friend who is in the MBRB still and it seems I'm old and forgetful, he says they have always been short hunts except the one I used to put in for. He also says due to the point system chances are way better to at least hunt every other year. States 3 days is enough most of the time, I guess I'm used to more time. Maybe next year I will re up :)

Back