Caribou Gear

Broadhead Preference

There are to many great fixed cut on contact heads out there to even want to gamble on mechanicals in my opinion. I’ve tossed the idea of mechanical vs fixed all summer long. There are 6 g5 strikers in my quiver. Now just need to put my self in front of an elk in a few weeks!

Fixed blade for sure. I'm using Ramcat Diamondback 100 grains. By the way, until August 12, you can use the code PTW30CAT to get 30% off and free shipping on their website.

Although this may not be a huge consideration, sometimes in the field things happen at the last minute to your broadhead. So it's a great idea to talk to your hunting buddies about getting and training with the same broadheads and weight so you can share if you're in a pinch.

Very, very good advice above. Just about any of the name brand broadheads will kill an elk, if you tune your bow properly for them.

I wanted to add a bit of something for you to chew on also. I carry fixed-blade COC heads in my quiver as my first choice but, I also carry a mechanical broadhead equipped arrows. The reasoning for this (from personal experience) is that at somewhat longer distances (usually 30+ yards) when there is wind, that wind will impact the flight of an arrow with a fixed head. It just will. Therefore, if I'm hunting with a strong wind and I'm looking at a shot of 30-40 yards, I pull out the mechanical. It just flies better in those situations. Just saying. In this scenario, I will absolutely use a mechanical.

Oh, and I use the Grim Reaper 3-blade as my mechanical. Designed for elk. Otherwise, fixed-blade is my go-to - G5 Stryker.

My opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Currently i'm using a (G5 Montec) fixed-blade broadhead. I love this broadhead, but it makes a lot of noise in-flight. I'm thinking about making a switch, but thought I would ask around before I part with my cash.

I went on a Bear hunt years back in Canada and the guide told us no mechanical broad heads , so I have been sending the Shuttle t lock for years ! 125 grain

Can't speak for Elk and broadheads but I have put Ramcats through some wild hogs and lots of whitetails. Just be aware that they are 1 3/8" and may not fit your current quiver. I had to change quivers when I started shooting them about 10 years ago.

Not to hi jack the thread but have any of you Shuttle T guys noticed the quality of the broadheads going down hill. Years ago I bought a dozen of them and have used them since. Last year I was running low so I bought a new pack they were black instead of stainless steel like the old ones. First deer I shot with the new heads bent the head so bad I couldn't get new blades in. Just seems with a side by side comparison the old heads are built better.

Shuttle T's, they put my first bull down nicely and seem to fly like field points. But recently at the Straight 6 shop I was told that they were no longer carrying them due to quality issues (as WildlWilll mentions above). Any other quality experiences?

They recommended Tooth of the Arrow as a similar flying arrow. Haven't sent them downrange yet, as I've still got a few Shuttle T's that are good.

So in response to both above shuttle t questions, I believe the company was sold to another and the production quality did go downhill. I use to shoot them religiously and killed a lot of game with the old style head but the new one seems to be much flimsier/thinner blade I had one last year basically blow up on the inside of an elk. He stuck around long enough and I shot him again and killed him but I won't shoot the new heads now.

They recommended Tooth of the Arrow as a similar flying arrow. Haven't sent them downrange yet, as I've still got a few Shuttle T's that are good.

Awesome flying head for sure! I carry those and also a rage Hypodermic in case a situation arises that I want to use a mechanical. The Tooth of the Arrow heads are super durable, dang near indestructible.

I'm a pragmatic kind of guy. Once I find something that works well, I tend to stick with it. Ruger, Nosler, Chartreuse Rooster Tail jugs, 721 Whiskey.......and 100 gr Thunderheads.

i've been using Slick Trick 100 gr. magnums, and or the 100 gr. Vipers. both fly like filed points and have had great results.

I switched to the G5 montec from the rage 2 blade chisel. I like them both but I switched for a peace of mind.

I went to montec 100s and LOVE them. Tough, fly same as feild points, walmart sells them. I have several that have been used on many animals, just clean off blood and run them across stone and repeat....

Back