Broadhead Preference

Flat Lander

I am sure this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's preference on broadheads for backcountry elk? (Mechanical or Fixed Blade & what specific brand) I have been looking at G5 Deadmeat 3 blades, but would like anyone's personal preference.

Thanks.

I use g5 montecs in 125gr. I’m a fan of fixed blades. I had one bad experience with a blade deploying early and my arrow barrel rolled about 150 yards. Keep it simple works best for me.

I use the Thunderhead 100's for everything...I have shot mechanicals (because I didn't have a choice) and it was very leathal....I would stick with a 3 blade for sure ( I feel like they plane less)....I love the looks of the G'5s, and when I shoot up all my Thunderheads I may try the G5's. good luck.

I use the Thunderhead 100's for everything...I have shot mechanicals (because I didn't have a choice) and it was very leathal....I would stick with a 3 blade for sure ( I feel like they plane less)....I love the looks of the G'5s, and when I shoot up all my Thunderheads I may try the G5's. good luck.

Rut junket- I think I have some 100 gr thunderheads rolling around if you’d be interested in them. Tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full

I shoot 125 grain slick trick magnums. They shot with field tips with no adjustment and the 125's flew better out of my 2 PSE bows than 100 grain shuttle t's or 100 grain slick tricks. I shoot 125 grain muzzy phantoms with my recurve. I shoot rage 3 blades at turkeys, but after seeing how a turkey damages the blades, there's no way in hell that I would shoot or suggest a mechanical on an elk.

Last edited:
I've had good experiences with passthroughs on deer with my Ramcats. Punched through both shoulder blades of the doe I shot last fall. My brother has had nothing but great luck with his G5 Montecs as well. Both of them seem to group the same out to 40-45 yards as field points. We've had enough bad experiences with mechanicals to not trust them every shot.

I really liked those old Teken IIs. Still bummed they're gone. In the abscence of T2s I'll take Spitfires or 4 blade Muzzys.

Iron Will 100 vented. They fly with my field points out to 60 yards. Have yet to put one in an animal, but I’m sure it will do it’s job if I do mine.
I’m amazed at how sharp they stay. I’ve shot 1 head into Block targets about 70 times and it’ll still cut you if you’re not careful. The blades and ferrule is much beefier than anything else I’ve seen or shot.
Well worth the cost I my book.

I'd stay away from any mechanical broadhead for elk. I've used Shuttle T 3 blades, 4 blade slick tricks, and G5 montecs. All go heads that have their ups and downs. The montec left the best blood trail but I had problems tuning them to fly perfect. The Shuttle T flew like a field point but wasn't impressed with the hole they leave or bloodtrail they make. The Slick Tricks seem to be the best of both worlds accurate and they leave lots of blood.

G5 Striker 100 gr. Five bulls in last 5 years. Four complete pass thrus and last years was quarter away and went thru everything and was poking out the neck in front of opposite shoulder. Shoot as well as my field points.

I use magnus black hornet serrazors. Fantastic flying head and tough. But if it ever bends or gets knicked up you can get a new one at no charge.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back