Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Broadhead Preference

I am sure this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's preference on broadheads for backcountry elk? (Mechanical or Fixed Blade & what specific brand) I have been looking at G5 Deadmeat 3 blades, but would like anyone's personal preference.

Thanks.

I use g5 montecs in 125gr. I’m a fan of fixed blades. I had one bad experience with a blade deploying early and my arrow barrel rolled about 150 yards. Keep it simple works best for me.

I use the Thunderhead 100's for everything...I have shot mechanicals (because I didn't have a choice) and it was very leathal....I would stick with a 3 blade for sure ( I feel like they plane less)....I love the looks of the G'5s, and when I shoot up all my Thunderheads I may try the G5's. good luck.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press 1 for English??

Thunderhead 125 and Spitfire mech 125.

Quote Originally Posted by RUT JUNKEY View Post
    I use the Thunderhead 100's for everything...I have shot mechanicals (because I didn't have a choice) and it was very leathal....I would stick with a 3 blade for sure ( I feel like they plane less)....I love the looks of the G'5s, and when I shoot up all my Thunderheads I may try the G5's. good luck.
    Rut junket- I think I have some 100 gr thunderheads rolling around if you’d be interested in them. Tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full

Montec G5 125 gr.

7. Default

Z w i c k e y
    Never forget our POW/MIA's

Iron Will 100 grain Vented for me.

I shoot 125 grain slick trick magnums. They shot with field tips with no adjustment and the 125's flew better out of my 2 PSE bows than 100 grain shuttle t's or 100 grain slick tricks. I shoot 125 grain muzzy phantoms with my recurve. I shoot rage 3 blades at turkeys, but after seeing how a turkey damages the blades, there's no way in hell that I would shoot or suggest a mechanical on an elk.
    Last edited by JohnCushman; 08-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!! Taking 2018 off

I've had good experiences with passthroughs on deer with my Ramcats. Punched through both shoulder blades of the doe I shot last fall. My brother has had nothing but great luck with his G5 Montecs as well. Both of them seem to group the same out to 40-45 yards as field points. We've had enough bad experiences with mechanicals to not trust them every shot.
    Squirrel!!!

Fixed blade Muzzy.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they have some good idea's.

12. Default

Thanks for all of the input.

I really liked those old Teken IIs. Still bummed they're gone. In the abscence of T2s I'll take Spitfires or 4 blade Muzzys.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

Whatever you go with shoot them and makes sure your close to your field tips

Iron Will 100 vented. They fly with my field points out to 60 yards. Have yet to put one in an animal, but I’m sure it will do it’s job if I do mine.
    I’m amazed at how sharp they stay. I’ve shot 1 head into Block targets about 70 times and it’ll still cut you if you’re not careful. The blades and ferrule is much beefier than anything else I’ve seen or shot.
    Well worth the cost I my book.
    What doesn't kill you, hunts like hell.

I'd stay away from any mechanical broadhead for elk. I've used Shuttle T 3 blades, 4 blade slick tricks, and G5 montecs. All go heads that have their ups and downs. The montec left the best blood trail but I had problems tuning them to fly perfect. The Shuttle T flew like a field point but wasn't impressed with the hole they leave or bloodtrail they make. The Slick Tricks seem to be the best of both worlds accurate and they leave lots of blood.

Blog Entries

Ill be using QAD Exodus for first time this fall.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains have put down a number of elk for me. QAD Exodus heads are awesome too.
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

G5 Striker 100 gr. Five bulls in last 5 years. Four complete pass thrus and last years was quarter away and went thru everything and was poking out the neck in front of opposite shoulder. Shoot as well as my field points.

20. Default

I use magnus black hornet serrazors. Fantastic flying head and tough. But if it ever bends or gets knicked up you can get a new one at no charge.

Slick trick viper trick 100 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by el unit View Post
    Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains have put down a number of elk for me. QAD Exodus heads are awesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntkook View Post
    Fixed blade Muzzy.

This.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

There are to many great fixed cut on contact heads out there to even want to gamble on mechanicals in my opinion. I’ve tossed the idea of mechanical vs fixed all summer long. There are 6 g5 strikers in my quiver. Now just need to put my self in front of an elk in a few weeks!

Fixed blade for sure. I'm using Ramcat Diamondback 100 grains. By the way, until August 12, you can use the code PTW30CAT to get 30% off and free shipping on their website.

Although this may not be a huge consideration, sometimes in the field things happen at the last minute to your broadhead. So it's a great idea to talk to your hunting buddies about getting and training with the same broadheads and weight so you can share if you're in a pinch.

Very, very good advice above. Just about any of the name brand broadheads will kill an elk, if you tune your bow properly for them.

I wanted to add a bit of something for you to chew on also. I carry fixed-blade COC heads in my quiver as my first choice but, I also carry a mechanical broadhead equipped arrows. The reasoning for this (from personal experience) is that at somewhat longer distances (usually 30+ yards) when there is wind, that wind will impact the flight of an arrow with a fixed head. It just will. Therefore, if I'm hunting with a strong wind and I'm looking at a shot of 30-40 yards, I pull out the mechanical. It just flies better in those situations. Just saying. In this scenario, I will absolutely use a mechanical.

Oh, and I use the Grim Reaper 3-blade as my mechanical. Designed for elk. Otherwise, fixed-blade is my go-to - G5 Stryker.

My opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them.
    Living in the "Last Best Place" - Montana
    Acts 2:38 - For honest truth-seekers, there is only one way.
    Inner Man Radio - Targeting Truth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast