Practical Black Bear Precautions

KayakMacGyver

I'll be on an 8 day solo backpacking hunt trip in Colorado Mid September and don't have any experience backpacking in densely populated black bear woods. I hunt around black bear often, and they are a constant problem in my county here in North Florida as the population is getting out of control. They LOVE garbage cans. When I've encountered them in the woods on public land where baiting is not allowed, they always run. Hunting on some friends places that have feeders, black bears are a real nuisance and seem to ignore people when a giant can of golden acorns are at stake. In a nutshell, human interference has altered their physiological reactions the interaction.

As the thread title states, I'm looking for a little deeper practical advice as it relates to keeping a curious bear away from my camp while I'm asleep or hiking away from my spike camp. Zipped up in my tent at night is about the only time I feel vulnerable to a black bear entering my space as situational awareness and protocol will dictate the encounter 99% of the time when hiking during the daylight hours.

Food concealment is my primary concern. Myquestion is, where should I store my food and other tasty smelling treats while at camp?

Do I store it in a tree? I read that when it comes to black bear, it's not a good idea to hang food in a tree since they can climb. Can anyone confirm this? Or, should I hang it but obviously get it out on a small limb or something?

Do I store it 100 yards away from my camp? My thought here is that the "human" element is gone and the bear won't have any fear to come in. I do a lot of spearfishing and we hang our dead fish right off of our chests or gun. The logic is that Sharks know we humans aren't food and maintain a certain degree of fear. But, once they get a taste of blood (i.e. fish), they go crazy. If you don't keep your fish on your person and a shark gets it, they may go into a totally different behavior mode that would cause them to attack you looking for more food.

Or, do I store it in my pack, nearby where I have control over the food items? Seems like there is risk/reward here to me as I'd be "protecting" the food with my human scent, creating the same logic preventing a frenzied shark. Downside is, if that bear just doesn't care about humans I'm kinda screwed.

I'm looking at buying one of these https://www.amazon.com/Base-CampSource-Odor-Barrier-Bags-X-Large/dp/B00GHFSMES/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=TSSM8HH3A85V4K76M17Z&th=1 .... please chime in if you think this is a rip off.

In any case, I won't be packing bear spray and likely won't be bringing along a pistol. I'm not scared of black bears, but I do want to take the necessary precautions. While I've read the CPW brochures, which are very lengthy and seem geared towards those who will have access to amenities, I'd really like to get input from other hunters who know what works and what is necessary. Heck, maybe I'm even over thinking it and it's not really a big deal at all.

Thanks in advance!

While you are present at camp food storage is a non issue, while you are gone for the day hang it, just make sure it's 10ft high and 5ft away from a branch, including the branch you're hanging it from. Don't buy that bag.

Generally speaking I wouldn't sweat bears in CO.

Also, if you are worried about them in camp or jumping one on the trail buy a bear tag.

Last edited:
While you are present at camp food storage is a non issue, while you are gone for the day hang it, just make sure it's 10ft high and 5ft away from a branch, including the branch you're hanging it from. Don't buy that bag.

Generally speaking I wouldn't sweat bears in CO.

I agree with wllm.....dont worry too much about the black bears here. Hang your food when you're gone. I live in bear country and use these little things to protect my chickens and trash. They work brilliantly!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UO801E?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Haven't had issues yet with bears. We put all "smelly" things in a bag and hang or stash it. Figure they can smell through pretty much anything so really physical precautions are what I always focus on.

My dad bought those bags unbeknownst to me and pulled them out opening day last year. I guess they might have worked, but we used the same protocol as usual haha. I doubt it.

Appreciate the feedback. Figured those bags may well be overkill (or a gimmick) for this circumstance and glad I checked. Thanks again for the input.

We do as wllm suggests also, always hanging it when not in camp and at night. we put together a set of paracord that has the reflective lines in it, along with a small metal pulley. The pulley helps a lot to get it up and down smoothly and the reflective cord is a HUGE help in finding your stash when you get back to camp in the dark. The trickiest part is finding a suitable tree when they all grow straight up and have few limbs sticking out sideways that are strong enough. Often we have to look for a beetle killed tree that has fallen part way down and is at an angle. Best wishes on your hunt! PS> practice with your rope/pulley/food bag before you go.

PS> practice with your rope/pulley/food bag before you go.

Practical and necessary suggestion. Not a smart idea to attempt to hang for the first time when you are tired, and its dark, and you are not exactly sure how to do the job.

Back