Caribou Gear Tarp

Help!! Vortex viper 4-12x40

jae011

So i went to sight in my TC .270 last night. I have a vortex viper 4-12x40. After much adjustment,well over 30 clicks down, Im still about 12 inches high at 100 yards. The adjustments didn't move anything one bit. My groupings are the size of a quarter so I don't think its the rifle. Its a new scope so maybe its just a bad one? I have no experience with this so Im hoping someone could way in. I did check my mounting and torque values. I put about half a box of nosler 150 grains through it and like I said, Im grouping them about the size of a quarter and i can't get any vertical adjustment from the scope. Thanks in advance!

My initial thought is the turret cap is not tightened down. There should be three set screws, loosen them and see if you can push it down to engage the gearing.

I would also just call directly to Vortex, their customer service is second to none.

I think vortex has a warranty or perhaps if you just bought the scope you can return it trade it in. Unless it's some odd thing with the design of the turrets then I would guess that the elevation should adjust when you adjust it.

Recheck your torque on your rings. Vortex scopes are very sensitive to being torqued over specs when adjusting for elevation. I had the same issues a few years ago on my wifes' rifle and it was fixed by retorquing to correct specs.

I’d take it back and swap out for a newer one. I have 4 Vortex scopes. 1 Razor and three Vipers. Never had this kind of problem adjusting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back