Which Game Bags for Antelope

Duck90

Good evening fellas,
Im newer to the forum, and drew an easy to get Wyoming rifle tag this year. Looking at the maps of my unit, I have found some pretty good chunks of public ground a few miles from public road. If I were to nut up and pay an outfitter or trespassing fee I would have a much shorter walk, but Im going to go without that. Anyway, Im looking into game bags just in case. Which ones would you all reccommend? Thanks in advance

Caribou gear or Black Ovis. Both are synthetic and tough. I have had my Caribou bags for years and the wash up and hold up great. Bought some Black Ovis from Camofire and they seem good as well.

+1 on the black ovis bags, they are on camofire pretty regularly. I bought the elk size last year for my antelope hunt. Worked great, if you go the elk size route, 2 of the bigger bags would be plenty for an antelope.

Thanks for the help. I was debating between which size but it makes more sense to go with the elk size bag. Looks like I'm going back to checking camofire every morning

+1 on the black ovis bags, they are on camofire pretty regularly. I bought the elk size last year for my antelope hunt. Worked great, if you go the elk size route, 2 of the bigger bags would be plenty for an antelope.

On sale right NOW!

Edit - Thanks btw, I needed to get some myself. :)

Thanks for the help. I was debating between which size but it makes more sense to go with the elk size bag. Looks like I'm going back to checking camofire every morning

I have the caribou gear, caribou sized bags... fit a boned out bull fine. I honestly think you could get a boned out pronghorn out in just one of the 5 bags it comes with.

Dumb question. If you have 3 tags, do you have 3 sets of bags? Or do you just use them to pack the meat back and place in cooler without bag and resuse?

Dumb question. If you have 3 tags, do you have 3 sets of bags? Or do you just use them to pack the meat back and place in cooler without bag and resuse?

I tend to keep my meat in the bags in the cooler, just to keep things cleaner and organized. I definitely wouldn't put boned out meat in a cooler alone... might do it will bone in meat. You can definitely get 3 boned out antelope in one set of caribou bags though. Also you could pack out using 4 bags, cool down the meat etc. at camp, then once you have boned it out put all the meat from one animal in one bag in your cooler. You would have 4 left for antelope number 2, and then 3 for antelope number 3... etc. etc. You could also just get a cheap set of alaska bags for the cooler...

wllm1313. What size cooler do you generally use? I have an rtic 65 and a soft 30. Last year I was able to fit in one and half quartered out whitetails in it. I could have done more, but didn't want to skimp on the ice. I'm sure I'll be fine but just want to make sure

For pronghorn I just bring my Yeti 65, I fill it with 6 quart oil jugs filled with water (just an easier shape to deal with) and 1 quart milk jugs and then put some dry ice on top. That keeps the jugs rock hard till I get something down. Then I put in the meat with as much ice as possible. I kept a muley I shot on a pronghorn/mule deer hunt cool for 4 days no problem in my yeti.

That said, if I was flying out for a hunt I bet I could get a boned out pronghorn in my yeti 30 with enough dry ice to get it home.

How many washings is a reasonable expectation?

I have used the crappy Alaska game bags 3 or 4 times... I used my Caribou bags last year on an elk and I bet I could re-sell them as "new in bag" they are that clean and white...

As long as I don't snag one on something and tear it I bet I can get 5-10 years out of them assuming 3-4 hunts a year.

Cleaning regime
1. Rise with hose to get big piece of meat/ dirt off
2. Soak in ice bath over night
3. Rinse
4. Soak in bath with a cap of bleach (1hr)
5. Rise really well
6. Spray with vinegar
7. Dry/rollup/put back in bag

Last edited:
I did Alaska game bags my first 4 seasons and had to buy new ones every couple of hunts... I switched to carribou last season and was blown away by the difference. Definitely worth the money...

I have a set of caribou game bags. I've got the elk sized bags- quarter bags are 30"x48" I believe. I could have fit an entire quartered antelope in a single bag. Chose not to for ease of handling.

We use the caribou bags for packing out then put meat into canvas game bags for the cooler or to hang if we have multiple animals. They last a long time and can be washed and reused many times.

Dry ice is available almost at all grocery stores in Wyoming, all of them in Laramie for sure. Great idea to use it for keeping ice jugs frozen. It will be evaporated before you put the meat in the cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back