View Poll Results: Is long range (500 yrds +) hunting ethical?

Voters
145. This poll is closed
  • Yes

55 37.93%
  • No

90 62.07%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rifles And More View Post
    Fair Chase died a long time ago, if you apply it to long range hunting you have to apply it to all hunting scenarios.
    Exactly right

Is guy that busts his ass all week long in the mountains and shoots his animal at 501 yards more or less ethical than the guy that drives around all week and shoots his animal 100 yards from the pickup?

3. Default

Fire_9, let's all go back to rocks and spears if that is what you're getting at. I think there is amount of more modern technology that is acceptable and is fine by fair chase standards. The closer I am to the animal, regardless of what gear I have, that animal has a significantly higher chance of avoiding me because of its instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nv_archer View Post
    Fire_9, let's all go back to rocks and spears if that is what you're getting at. I think there is amount of more modern technology that is acceptable and is fine by fair chase standards. .

What is that amount? Isn't that the entire point here? defining it now and sticking to it in the face of the relentless onslaught of marketing and progress is the challenge. Hunters have not been able to face up to this yet. I see no sign that we will now.

My brother has a friend who can hit targets all day long out to 1100 yards. A couple of years ago he drew an antelope tag in AZ and he wanted to shoot a big one of course.
    They searched for days until a suitable buck was located. They guy turned into a bowl of jello. He couldn't hit the buck to save his life even when it was less than 300 yards. Didn't dial down his scope.
    Finally made a crippling shot and they had to trail it for miles before he could finally hit it again.
    Goes to show you how someone can be an expert marksman on targets and at the range but have no business shooting at live animals.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

6. Default

My brothers roommate knew a guy who could put arrows in the 10-ring all day long. During a hunt, a large buck stepped out under his tree stand (going to the mineral lick). As he raised his crossbow, he too turned to jello and pulled the shot. Turns out, his scope was dialed wrong also.

Goes to show I'm not the judge of who should shoot at live animals with what.

Game animals are wounded and lost with all types of equipment and methods every season. Sometimes by a newbie, sometimes by an experienced hunter; sometimes close range, sometimes long range.

I've noticed this issue is typically brought up by a member of recent involvement. It's gonna happen again. mtmuley

Name:  C919BA3A-2FFC-4C1A-BA17-5EE55FA9E80D.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  53.9 KB

Iíll cry myself to sleep tonight knowing the results of a hunt talk poll says most disagree with my ethics at times..

Well folks, Ive just recieved a pm from mtmuely, told me he doesnt like the long range debates. Sorry mtmuely if you dont like peoples answers. This is a learning thread not a silence everyone elses opion thread. If your comfortable with what you do you dont have to prove yourself to me. Im open to long range hunting. I just want all the info before i try it. No one is forcing you to read this thread, vote in poll, or respond.
    Last edited by Cubguy; 08-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.

..no one is forcing you to post private messages either...bad form.

fwiw, mtmuley is a solid

Quote Originally Posted by Cubguy View Post
    Well folks, Ive just recieved a pm from mtmuely, told me he doesnt like the long range debates. Sorry mtmuely if you dont like peoples answers. This is a learning thread not a silence everyone elses opion thread. If your comfortable with what you do you dont have to prove yourself to me. Im open to long range hunting. I just want all the info before i try it. No one is forcing you to read this thread, vote in poll, or respond.
    Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Name:  C919BA3A-2FFC-4C1A-BA17-5EE55FA9E80D.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  53.9 KB

Iíll cry myself to sleep tonight knowing the results of a hunt talk poll says most disagree with my ethics at times..
    Lmao, nice rig.

NE Montana...also known as "Little Siberia".

WTF? Look up the word 'private'.

Answer me this, what do you use that supercub for?

I shot an antelope buck with my bow at 73 yards...guess I'm a dick too
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!! Taking 2018 off

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    I shot an antelope buck with my bow at 73 yards...guess I'm a dick too
    No, that was pre-existing.

I know some super hard core trad bow hunters that have lost more animals than anyone else I know yet they scoff at compound bows and almost get pissed at the thought of shooting something at any range with a rifle. How should they be regarded?

When I took ethics in college, we were taught that 'ethics' is subjective to the individual pondering the quarry. So, this poll is pretty much useless and argument fodder because everyone that posts to it has a different 'ethical' thought and feeling on the topic. PLus long range is different to each individual. Mtmuley was right...
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!! Taking 2018 off

Guess you must have missed the part about that being a private message?

Thanks guys. mtmuley

Cubguy - PM sent

Master what you use.....if it hurts somebody's feelings, tell to keep doing it their way, and you'll keep doing it yours...

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Yeah, I hunt with bows that have wheels and cams on them too, and rangefinders, and high tech carbon arrows.

Unethical to Trad guys? So what....

I
    've noticed this issue is typically brought up by a member of recent involvement. It's gonna happen again. mtmuley
    Seems to be consistently the case. With those opposed expressing holier-than-thou personal ethics and those others defensively justifying long range shooting. Too bad it can't just be a personal standard, but must devolve into a contentious debate ... with folks wishing they hadn't responded or even read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
    Too bad it can't just be a personal standard
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by psinclair View Post
    Yeah, I hunt with bows that have wheels and cams on them too, and rangefinders, and high tech carbon arrows.

Unethical to Trad guys? So what....
    Yup, the "I don't care; it's all about me" thing is common place.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast