Long range ethics

Is long range (500 yrds +) hunting ethical?

• Yes

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubguy

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything on the subject in particular so I would like to get your expertise.
My question is: everyone's on the long range 6.5 creed kick, is it ethical for people to be out shooting 500-1000 yrd shots on game?
I personaly want to see my game drop drt and in the last 10 years I've never had an animal run more than 10 yards. My personal maximum is 300 yrds for my big game guns. Thats just me and my comfort level.
Last year I shot an antelope buck at 210 yrds in tall brown prairie grass in eastern Montana. Drt. We had a heck of a time finding him and dang near lost him. How do you find game thats shot say 500-1000 yards even if its drt? My guess is a runner would help so you at least have a blood trail? If you public land hunt, how can you be for certain its in bounds at long range or not going to death run out to private?
Anyway, my purpose for this thread is to help me understand if with good equipment and skills it is ethical for long range hunting and im not just being a fuddy duddy. I know there is a lot of expertise here.
In my mind, long range hunting is people watching "American Sniper", then going out and thinking they are Chris Kyle or Carlos Hathcock. I like pretendng also, but for me, thats sniping rock bucks. (Just my opinion! Don't be mean because you don't share it. Just give me yours so I can make an educated decision.)
I think one of them poll things people put up on this sight would be in order here, i just dont know how to do it. Thanks again folks. This websight is awsome! (Ps: im not a politcal robot and i will answer you.)

Edit: I figured the poll out! Did I say this websight is AWSOME!

Last edited:
I think it is all about competence. I was a guy who bought a great scope and put it on a good rifle and thought I’d be able to shoot anything I could see. Turns out there is a bit more to it than that. I have practiced and gotten professional instruction to feel comfortable shooting out to 700 with a suitable setup. That said I’ve only shot up to 450 on a mule deer. Technology has helped a great deal with potentially being able to shoot a long way. A good scope with the cds system or a bdc system makes it less daunting when combined with a bullet with good bc.

I also have a friend that shoots a tracking point rifle in 338 lapua and dropped a bull at 950 yards. Ethical shot and ethical kill. There will be some who have issues with that use if technology and I understand the problems but ultimately I think they are just degrees of the same thing.

I have no problem with people shooting a long way if they have the equipment and the ability to do so.

It's a great way of getting the benefit of 50 or 60 perspectives in addition to the usually suspects who frequently reply (you and I included).

I haven't replied to any of the recent polls. Still torn on digital tags. And yeah, leave ethics alone. mtmuley

For me shooting at a animal over 400 yards is unethical. Because much past 400 yards I cannot consistently hit a vital zone size target with every shot. At 400 and in I can consistently put 3 to 5 shot grouos into a vital zone size target (I use paper plates). That's how I determine what my "ethical range" is and it works for me. I don't think you can pick a number and say anyone who shoots past that is unethical many things like personal skill level, conditions, equipment, etc all play a role in determining max effective range. I'm definitely not a fan of the new long range hunting trend just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I am no expert, but just seems like the question is not an absolute distance, but rather, do you have solid reason (born of practice/experience) to feel like you have a 90+% chance of making a clean kill considering your shooting position, the angle to the game, choice of bullet, the wind, distance, etc. I've seen some that can't hit a pie plate at 100 yards from a kneeling position, and others that can make that shot 99 times out of a hundred from 500 yards in a cross wind. An ethical shot for one hunter can be an unethical shot for another. From my perspective the key is to check one's ego at the door and be honest about your actual demonstrated abilities under the circumstances. Save first time or creative shots for the range.

It is a personal limitation the way I see it. I have watched people who can out shoot me miss a chip shot on game. I will not fault a person who can consistently make longer shots than I am comfortable with. I bowhunted way before I started rifle hunting so getting 200 yds or under is no big deal. Have I taken longer shots yes when I didn't have the option or knowing I can make the shot across a canyon on public land knowing that I had better hammer the animal before someone else see it and does the same.

No need for this ethics thread to get out of hand. If your comfortable at longer ranges or not, thats individual preferance and i would like to hear your reasons for both. If your happy it doesnt matter what another person posts. I agree shot placement is key at any range, but there are also other factors. Im looking for the whole picture. If you don't like polls or ethics threads, well, no one said you had to click on this one, open it, then read it, then make a comment on how you dont like ethics threads or polls.

It's a great way of getting the benefit of 50 or 60 perspectives in addition to the usually suspects who frequently reply (you and I included).

It's a great way to start a pissing match where none was needed to start.

Last edited:
From the standpoint of making a clean kill, that completely varies based on the hunters abilities. The other half of the question, to me, is at what range is it acceptable to shoot an animal based upon its senses. Even if you are able to make a clean kill at 1200 should you be shooting animals that are far enough away that you can stand there and talk in a normal voice, walk around in plain sight, and not give a second thought to the wind affecting them?

It is hard for me to put a hard number on what distance I think is too far

It's a great way to start a pissing match where none was needed to start.

I don't get this reply at all. Why does a poll start a pissing match any more or less than a standard text post? And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would rather have 50 posts about how far is a good shot than one more damn Zinke post - but I am not griping about those, I just choose to avoid them.

I don't get this reply at all. Why does a poll start a pissing match any more or less than a standard text post? And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would rather have 50 posts about how far is a good shot than one more damn Zinke post - but I am not griping about those, I just choose to avoid them.

we've been through this one a couple of times. Hard opinions on it. a sore spot for many. no one changes anyone's mind. Feel free to carry on...... or better yet, go check old threads on it. :hump:

To answer Greenhorn's question, NO!!
But you can relax as most of those seem to reside in PA.

To answer the poll. I think Rzrbck summed it up nicely. There are those that are competent, and would be ethical for them.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back