Poll: Is long range (500 yrds +) hunting ethical?

This poll will close on 09-07-2018 at 07:09 PM

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Huntkook View Post
    (What percentage of long range shooters actually follow up on their shot and walk to the spot where the animal was?) No matter what the shot distance is following up after the shot is what determines ethics.
    I believe this 100%, should you make that shot at 600yds, maybe/maybe not. But what comes down to it is how hard you push yourself to follow up and find that animal, wounded or dead or determine that it was a 100% clean miss.

2. Default

Just too many variables to account for everything when shots are that far out. I answered this poll as 'no,' but that was a vote for my own personal ethics. I won't judge someone for doing otherwise, but myself, personally? I'm not taking a shot at anything over 300.

Maybe a better question is under what conditions is long range hunting ethical. There is a lot that goes into stabilizing your rifle, controlling yourself, waiting for an appropriate angle, etc. that goes into a pretty standard shot at 200yds. Those things are compounded exponentially the further out you go. Seems the more I think about this subject the more I'm finding that it's not necessarily the long shot I have a problem with, its that everyone I've seen try it are bracing over the seat of a running 4-wheeler or something stupid like that.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with Mr. Randy Selby, but he's a well-known rifle maker who was born and raised in WY. I pretty much feel the same way as he does concerning the long range hunting craze. The bottom line is that most people just lack the requisite skills to accurately engage game and cleanly kill with these, "1000yds out of the box" packages. Remember that the videos you see with the 1 shot, DRT animal, has been edited and it doesn't show the pile of brass next to the kid.

There are 3 videos to this end.

https://youtu.be/ifE_fnsOa1s

https://youtu.be/oTsbIIoRUCA

https://youtu.be/fCDxDr_uLSw

Is a 200 yard shot ethical?

Yes
    No

Well, I don't know. Has the truck stopped moving?

Anyone who can answer the poll without further information can also answer that the 200 yd shot is ethical without knowing anything else.

While I am no fan of shooting game at long range for the sake of doing it, drawing a line at any distance and proclaiming one side of it ethical and the other side unethical is nonsense, especially when the range chosen has been fairly easily obtainable with over the counter equipment for many decades.
    To lump the highly experienced rifleman who may on rare occasion shoot 500 yards in with the yahoos that spend their spare time editing kill shot videos and bragging about their long range exploits, is as bad as being one of the asses that you despise.

To insult a highly dedicated, and ethical hunter, by telling them that their 500 yd shot was unethical, when you don't know squat, is a low blow in my opinion, ranking right up there with an unethical shot.

6. Default

��great videos. Should be made a sticky

NE Montana...also known as "Little Siberia".

Quote Originally Posted by MTTW View Post

Yes
    No

Anyone who can answer the poll without further information can also answer that the 200 yd shot is ethical without knowing anything else.

While I am no fan of shooting game at long range for the sake of doing it, drawing a line at any distance and proclaiming one side of it ethical and the other side unethical is nonsense, especially when the range chosen has been fairly easily obtainable with over the counter equipment for many decades.
    To lump the highly experienced rifleman who may on rare occasion shoot 500 yards in with the yahoos that spend their spare time editing kill shot videos and bragging about their long range exploits, is as bad as being one of the asses that you despise.

To insult a highly dedicated, and ethical hunter, by telling them that their 500 yd shot was unethical, when you don't know squat, is a low blow in my opinion, ranking right up there with an unethical shot.
    Spot on...

Quote Originally Posted by psinclair View Post
    Spot on...
    I think we all could probably learn something, if we asked someone who we know is a very competent long range shooter, what he takes into account when considering a shot, and its ethics in context.

Personally, I have two concerns with this whole topic:
    1) the marginalization of the skills necessary to make the shots being discussed by some in the hunting industry/media
    2) time of flight at some point negates the precision the shooter is capable of, and at some point turns your sub-moa shot into a 5-10 moa scenario...

I am a halfway decent shot, and I limit myself to 400.

With no sarcasm intended, I would like to hear what goes through a real good shooters mind if Pat is willing to take it from here....
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by MTTW View Post

Yes
    No

This sums up my feelings on the issue. mtmuley

Scott Satterlee posted a video yesterday on Instagram of himself shooting a cow elk at 496yds
    https://www.coreshooting.com/pages/scott-satterlee
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmfNO3H...=1nxjcocmu2lh7

With his credentials would that be deemed “unethical”?

It’s nearly impossible to define what is ethical when looking at things like shot distance, caliber size vs game, equipment, running/walking shots and so on. Its up to each individual to decide what they are comfortable with and do things however they like within the limits of the law. Its a free country and who is anyone else to judge. It is arrogant to think you can.

Its after the shot, is where ethics really come into play. Every shot should be followed up on to determine if there was a hit and one should do everything in their power to retrieve the game. If there was a wounded animal, a tag should be considered used. When a hit rooster or duck outsmarts a gun dog, it should be counted in the bag limit. Wounding and loosing game is an unfortunate reality at some point in many people’s hunting career, no matter the shot distance. Most animals are probably shot under 100 or maybe 200 yds and most wounding loss is probably also at those relatively short distances. Not following up after the shot, wounding multiple animals, not learning from past mistakes, and not practicing at intended hunting distances is where I have the most issues and question ethics.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456