Trespass Fee?

I am a millennial. I think people who think that millennials are driving tresspass fees for pronghorn are that much more duped than people who think millennials today are any different than 20s to 30s at any other time in history (a fact which has been shown to be false by the way).

Trespass fees were in vogue long before the word millennial came into prominence.

The best thing about trespass fees is that they open up more tags for non-residents since locals hate to or aren't willing to pay what it takes to access private land. In area 29, 480 of the 600 tags were allocated to residents but only 49 resident tags were issued in the initial draw. That means that 431 more tags made available [with a concomitant financial windfall to WGFD] to non-residents. If access were a lot easier I'd likely have a snowball's chance in hell of drawing a tag there. There are still 13 type 2 tags left. I'd buy a second one, but I don't need the meat.

Interesting how geography and time change threads...I brought up trespass fees/ vouchers in CO a couple of years ago and go skewered.

Each person should do what works for them and not give a rat's ass about what others do or don't do.

Landowners have every right to charge hunters a trespass fee to hunt their land. It also sucks that most of them have figured out the cash cow they have, and gone are the days of knocking on doors for access in exchange for some meat, work, or just a hand shake. I honestly don't ever see it going back that way. Here in CO if a landowner wants $1000 bucks to get a deer or an elk of his property, he'll get it, and probably still have more inquiries than space available. If you have a relationship with a landowner that allows for non fee based access, do whatever you can to hang on to that, because they're in the minority and I only see it going one way.

One thing I will say, just an observation I have had the last few years, is thank God we have private land. Considering how greedily some state game agencies give out tags. You can't deny the contributions they have to big game in heavily hunted areas, or anywhere for that matter. It seems like a popular theme to demonize private land ownership, or those who hunt it. I would much rather view private land owners as an ally, and appreciate game and fish agencies that view them as such, and work with providing hunters access.

Last edited:
The best thing about trespass fees is that they open up more tags for non-residents since locals hate to or aren't willing to pay what it takes to access private land.
I'm not local to Wyoming but I don't need to pay a trespass fee because I understand how to hunt in the west. I just don't get why you would. Antelope are easy to get tags for even as a non resident and easy to harvest even with limited knowledge.
I'm going to make some assumptions about you and shaffe.
1 You guys dont live in the west or are fairly new to hunting the west? Less than 10 harvested animals?
2. You joined hunttalk to LEARN.
3. You have lots of free time judging by the fact you have both been members for less than a year but north of 150 posts?

I say these things not to be offensive but because you seem to be arguing a point with a perspective that is completely backwards from everybody I'm surrounded by in the west.That lead me to believe that you are from States that are predominantly private ground and are approaching pronghorn hunting from a different perspective.
You guys can certainly hunt however you want but you should know you're just throwing money down a hole and In the process making Western hunting a rich man's sport.

I'm not local to Wyoming but I don't need to pay a trespass fee because I understand how to hunt in the west. I just don't get why you would. Antelope are easy to get tags for even as a non resident and easy to harvest even with limited knowledge.
I'm going to make some assumptions about you and shaffe.
1 You guys dont live in the west or are fairly new to hunting the west? Less than 10 harvested animals?
2. You joined hunttalk to LEARN.
3. You have lots of free time judging by the fact you have both been members for less than a year but north of 150 posts?

I say these things not to be offensive but because you seem to be arguing a point with a perspective that is completely backwards from everybody I'm surrounded by in the west.That lead me to believe that you are from States that are predominantly private ground and are approaching pronghorn hunting from a different perspective.
You guys can certainly hunt however you want but you should know you're just throwing money down a hole and In the process making Western hunting a rich man's sport.

1. Correct, wrong, wrong

Live in the midwest and save for a 7 or 8 year hiatus I've hunted antelope and sometimes deer in Wyoming every year since 1987. I've taken maybe 30 animals all told and all with a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 improved cartridge.

2. I joined HT to SHARE and also LEARN. Actually the wife said I ought to do some searching for game processors so I did some searching and found this place. Looked interesting so I decided to join.

3. Retired and 70 and fritter away too much time on the net. Frankly, I prefer sticking to an area that offers a comfort zone like I have now. I know the place and have only ever seen one hunter in all the years I've been going there. He offers the opportunity for a great experience if that's what you want. His neighbor would let me hunt for free if I want, but no assurance that he has antelope. The fee doesn't make me or break me. I know people who piss away that much in a month on cigarettes. Besides, I don't think I'd have much luck getting a type 1 tag in that area.

I started the thread just because I was curious about how many people pay fees and what the fees were in various places. I don't care whether anyone thinks that they're a good or bad thing.

Last edited:

Or are under 40, have a cell phone, and look at it will pooping

I can't imagine what you think of me 1,335 in 2.5 years...

1. Correct, wrong, wrong

Live in the midwest and save for a 7 or 8 year hiatus I've hunted antelope and sometimes deer in Wyoming every year since 1987. I've taken maybe 30 animals all told and all with a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 improved cartridge.

2. I joined HT to SHARE and also LEARN. Actually the wife said I ought to do some searching for game processors so I did some searching and found this place. Looked interesting so I decided to join.

3. Retired and 70 and fritter away too much time on the net. Frankly, I prefer sticking to an area that offers a comfort zone like I have now. I know the place and have only ever seen one hunter in all the years I've been going there. He offers the opportunity for a great experience if that's what you want. His neighbor would let me hunt for free if I want, but no assurance that he has antelope. The fee doesn't make me or break me. I know people who piss away that much in a month on cigarettes. Besides, I don't think I'd have much luck getting a type 1 tag in that area.

I started the thread just because I was curious about how many people pay fees and what the fees were in various places. I don't care whether anyone thinks that they're a good or bad thing.

I stand corrected. Whatever it takes for you to be successful.

Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.

I think that's because deer are generally put on a higher pedestal than antelope are. Also we should be glad that the state still controls the licenses.

I stand corrected. Whatever it takes for you to be successful.

Also if I want to pass on a nice one for a bigger one I know he'll still be there tomorrow and I won't have to worry about the guy in the next pickem truck taking him.

Clearly if you were as good at hunting elk as me you would understand my struggles :cool:

I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.
:eek:

They only inquiry I've ever made about trespass fees lead me to a landowner that wanted $200 for access and 1 doe. $50 per additional doe. If you want to go that route more power to you. It doesn't make you any less of a hunter. Do what is fun for you and makes you happy.

I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.
:eek:

You sir are in fact an elk magnet.

Hmmmm I hear there is this stuff called "Salad" may have to check it out... I'm skeptical...

I have been hunting a ranch south of Gillette since 2008, when it was $100 trespass fee. Last couple years its gone up to $300. This year I chose DIY in a different Unit mostly for the experience. They were always great people and had lots of antelope.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back