Yeti GOBOX Collection

Trespass Fee?

I would gladly give a 300-500 tresspass fee. Public can be a zoo. Anybody know of a rancher that would accept a tresspass fee in unit 20, send me a p.m. please.

I paid for the special buck tag this year after burning points last year, to hunt the same public land unit. It was worth it to me. If I knew of some quality private that could easily be drawn with zero points in the regular draw, but had a $300 trespass fee, I'd consider that also.. cost would be similar.

I do not like the idea of charging high fees just to drive a half-mile section of a private road to get to state or BLM. But I do think that landowners charging individual hunters for allowing access is definitely preferable to leasing ground to outfitters.

Discussing this topic with the game warden for the WY unit I drew and he mentioned that in a given unit, if the deer season ends and there is still time left in the pronghorn season, that many landowners significantly reduce or even eliminate trespass fees for pronghorn (especially doe tags). In his view they place greater value on maximizing availability for muley hunters and view pronghorn as low value nuisance.

I guess I'm out of place here. I mean I hunt plenty of private land also but I've never paid a dime for access. I'd do favors and give gratitude not money. You people are the reason more landowners are bumping friends in favor of money.
Does anyone know of a forum for DIY public land hunters? P.M me so the more money than brains crowd dosen't crash the party.

Not what you asked but for some perspective.
I called an Idaho land owner to see about deer hunting a while back. The phone number was on his signs.
"For hunting permission call ###-###-#####"
He told me $500 a day. I asked if it held deer and he responded I'd need $500 to go scout it for a day.

We had better hold on to the public land we have...

You're always going to find extremes, but of more concern are those ranchers who opt to lease their lands to outfitters who cut off access and end up charging way more than the rancher ever would. As my host once said, it gets harder and harder to say no to them.

I guess I'm out of place here. I mean I hunt plenty of private land also but I've never paid a dime for access. I'd do favors and give gratitude not money. You people are the reason more landowners are bumping friends in favor of money.
Does anyone know of a forum for DIY public land hunters? P.M me so the more money than brains crowd dosen't crash the party.

I wonder if my gunsmith would build me a $2,000 rifle if I offered to mow his lawn. If you have special skills I'm sure there are landowners willing to trade access for services. Landowners see the fees as a way to get a little untraceable cash. My host's wife said last year that they have more hired help than they can afford so they'd rather have the cash. They take maybe 5-6 hunters each year, but they could easily support 4-5 times that many. Oftimes the best hunting is on private property.

Discussing this topic with the game warden for the WY unit I drew and he mentioned that in a given unit, if the deer season ends and there is still time left in the pronghorn season, that many landowners significantly reduce or even eliminate trespass fees for pronghorn (especially doe tags). In his view they place greater value on maximizing availability for muley hunters and view pronghorn as low value nuisance.

Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.

I wonder if my gunsmith would build me a $2,000 rifle if I offered to mow his lawn. If you have special skills I'm sure there are landowners willing to trade access for services. Landowners see the fees as a way to get a little untraceable cash. My host's wife said last year that they have more hired help than they can afford so they'd rather have the cash. They take maybe 5-6 hunters each year, but they could easily support 4-5 times that many. Oftimes the best hunting is on private property.

So every time a landowner allows me to hunt property for free it's the equivalent of giving me a $2000 rifle? That's quite comical.
I've never done any work to gain access. I have stopped during a hunt to help set a gate/post. We drove by as an old man was trying to set it by himself. Although truth be told I was probably just in his way.
He had a pretty good system setup.

I miss when hunttalk was full of bad assed dudes who could glass up a locust a mile before they jumped him.
Now it's a bunch of millennials who can't compete with the public land crowd:cool:

I agree that there is no moral distinction between paying a rancher gifts or services instead of cash. Heck, if I'm a better guy if I give gifts instead of cash to the rancher then maybe I'll hire a stripper gram to show up at the rancher's doorstep. Maybe a pair of DD shook in his face will get his attention and he'll let me cross his quarter mile strip of land.

No means eating our own concerning how we pay the ranchers. All I know is this. Plenty of roads on Google maps conveniently lose their county public right away just before they hit public land. If this public right away didn't conveniently end, most of us wouldn't be worrying about how to pay ranchers to hunt on their land.

Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.

Well they do get a coupon worth I think $32 now which helps to offset the cost of the feed that they eat.

So every time a landowner allows me to hunt property for free it's the equivalent of giving me a $2000 rifle? That's quite comical.
I've never done any work to gain access. I have stopped during a hunt to help set a gate/post. We drove by as an old man was trying to set it by himself. Although truth be told I was probably just in his way.
He had a pretty good system setup.

I miss when hunttalk was full of bad assed dudes who could glass up a locust a mile before they jumped him.
Now it's a bunch of millennials who can't compete with the public land crowd:cool:

At 70, I'm hardly a millennial. I was using it as an example of trading services for services and not necessarily an indicator of equivalence of value. To some ranchers an antelope is like 5 one hundred dollar bills. For some if they have one it's 1 too many.

Last edited:
Interesting how geography and time change threads...I brought up trespass fees/ vouchers in CO a couple of years ago and go skewered.

I agree that there is no moral distinction between paying a rancher gifts or services instead of cash. Heck, if I'm a better guy if I give gifts instead of cash to the rancher then maybe I'll hire a stripper gram to show up at the rancher's doorstep. Maybe a pair of DD shook in his face will get his attention and he'll let me cross his quarter mile strip of land.

No means eating our own concerning how we pay the ranchers. All I know is this. Plenty of roads on Google maps conveniently lose their county public right away just before they hit public land. If this public right away didn't conveniently end, most of us wouldn't be worrying about how to pay ranchers to hunt on their land.

The rancher's wifey might not be too keen on that. Then again the show on the Outdoor/Sportsman's channel Crush with Lee and Tiffany they always send her to knock on doors to negotiate with farmers.

Last edited:
I would gladly give a 300-500 tresspass fee. Public can be a zoo. Anybody know of a rancher that would accept a tresspass fee in unit 20, send me a p.m. please.

I personally wouldn't pay for access in that unit a good hunt can be had if you burn some leather through the public areas.

The irony in this thread is that out West the reason so much public access and public right of ways keep getting contested is because landowners are figuring out that they can charge out of starters access fees so now it's worth the time and effort to fight to shut these things down.

Also I'm not paying anybody with "gifts". I make it a point not to involve myself with any quid pro quo situations. Although I may drive a 100 miles after the hunt /butcher/processing to surprise someone with Summer sausage or pepperoni sticks as a thank you.
It will never be part of a "deal"

I am a millennial. I think people who think that millennials are driving tresspass fees for pronghorn are that much more duped than people who think millennials today are any different than 20s to 30s at any other time in history (a fact which has been shown to be false by the way).

Back