Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trespass Fee?

antelopedundee

What are people here paying for trespass fees for antelope in Wyoming?

$350 this year and no extra charge to fill a doe tag. After the 4th day I pretty much have the whole ranch to myself.

We are still looking for some access. Mainly just for our doe tags. I'm curious too.

I’ve never heard of that...is it just an access fee paid before hand? Is there a centralized place to find that arrangement?

I’ve never heard of that...is it just an access fee paid before hand? Is there a centralized place to find that arrangement?

Yes and no. You have to contact an individual rancher to find out if they allow access and if they do what they charge to hunt their land and what the rules are as to how long the fee is good for, etc.

The 2 times I paid it was $35 bucks and $100. Both had a good amount of land and animals, I would never pay $350.

Most ranchers and private landowners charge a fee to access their land. Some charge nothing, but have small parcels and no guarantee that they'll have animals. I've paid as little as $50 up to $375/$400. Always a good idea to know upfront what the terms will be. I've heard of $1000 and more per gun up around Gillette area. Generally they sign your license which indicates that they've given you permission. Goodies like meat stick snacks and such are always a nice extra touch.

Not what you asked but for some perspective.
I called an Idaho land owner to see about deer hunting a while back. The phone number was on his signs.
"For hunting permission call ###-###-#####"
He told me $500 a day. I asked if it held deer and he responded I'd need $500 to go scout it for a day.

We had better hold on to the public land we have...

There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

They could pound sand for $350

Why do they owe anybody cheap access? It's supply and demand/what the market will bear just like most other stuff. In area 29 where I'm going, the lion's share of the licenses are good only on private land and the chances of a nonresident drawing a good anywhere in the area Type 1 for 29 are slim.

Last edited:
Why do they owe anybody cheap access? It's supply and demand/what the market will bear just like most other stuff. In area 29 where I'm going, the lion's share of the licenses are good only on private land and the chances of a nonresident drawing a good anywhere in the area Type 1 for 29 are slim.

I'm guessing he meant the concept of paying for access to shoot an antelope regardless of what they are charging.

To each their own but I would rather hang my boots up then give any landowner one penny for the "privilege" of access to shoot one of "their" animals. That's just me though.

I was finding $100 to be standard, a few up to $150. Honestly, I'd pay that just to get away from people, regardless of size. We will be in north central WY next fall chasing goats.

I'm guessing he meant the concept of paying for access to shoot an antelope regardless of what they are charging.

To each their own but I would rather hang my boots up then give any landowner one penny for the "privilege" of access to shoot one of "their" animals. That's just me though.

He paid lesser amounts at least twice so he's not against the concept. Even around here a lot of the private land is off limits, leased by hunt clubs/private well-heeled groups and the like. No wonder they call it the rich man's sport. I hunted one place in area 26 where they charged just enough [$50] to offset the cost of patrolling their land during hunting season.

Last edited:
I asked a game warden for the area I was going to hunt whether he knew of anyone that would let me pay just to cross their land to get to public without hunting on his land. I would happily have paid $350 just to cross their .3 miles of land that separates thousands of acres probably of public from the other smaller patch of public that ajoins the road.

He said no. Seems that the ranchers view tresspass fees as ability for their guests to hunt their land and have sole access of their guests to the thousands of acres that belong to us. They wouldn't want to sell partial access to their (our) landlocked BLM land.

He also said they were certainly all full at this point and for the most part guests return year after year so I'm guessing getting in early won't help much either for this area.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'm all about people having rights to their own land but...something's got to give with adding some public right aways or something. Of course, I'm speaking as someone who comes from (another form of) reality here.

The more I thought about the uncertainty involving the scant amount of land I figure I'll just start working on preference points. Either that or we need to all go in on a small plane!!!

I think pronghorn are cool animals and no desire to poo poo pronghorn hunting. But for me I figured I can do a blacktail hunt on prince of Wales with less headache and for less additional money than a $350 tresspass fee. To each his own. Won't have to beg a rancher there to cross 300 yards of his land!

He paid lesser amounts at least twice so he's not against the concept. Even around here a lot of the private land is off limits, leased by hunt clubs/private well-heeled groups and the like. No wonder they call it the rich man's sport. I hunted one place in area 26 where they charged just enough [$50] to offset the cost of patrolling their land during hunting season.

I have paid lesser amounts at least twice?

I agree . I'm not paying a dime for land access . I'll give landowners that let me hunt some other things such as couple bags of spuds or some beer or a bottle of their favorite liquor but I'm not paying a trespass fee

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back