Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trespass Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Don't know how you came up with that number! Actually Section 36 in each township in Wyoming is the state land you're referring to as a school section, not every 10th as you stated!
    Name:  7336C06E-C300-457C-89D0-0A7B452D5C79.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  68.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pointingdogsrule View Post
    The "school section" must be have access. Many sections are landlocked.

good luck to all
    the dog
    But they may be unmarked which means that you'll need to know exactly where the boundary lines are. Also check with BLM and county offices to satisfy yourself that the land hasn't changed ownership since the last time you were there. If it was public on a map 6 months ago make sure it's still public when you go to hunt.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 08-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Originally Posted by antelopedundee
    There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

Don't know how you came up with that number! Actually Section 36 in each township in Wyoming is the state land you're referring to as a school section, not every 10th as you stated!
    That's what I recall be told years ago.

I like to hunt. I like hunts where can get away from crowds but my days of packing in 100 pounds for a 5 day spike camp are in my rearview mirror. So, how do I get on hunts where can hunt within a mile of the road and not climb up 1000' elevation in that mile and not be looking at 20 orange vests as the sun rises? Well, I apply for a lot of 1% to 5% sort of elk and deer rifle and muzzie hunts that offer few tags and a lot of public ground though that strategy gains a lot of preference points and not many tags. I try to pick gentle terrain on those hunts but in some cases the hunts will be physically challenging and I can either hang up my backpack in the barn or can look to get a guide with horses. I prefer to hunt though and it that means with a guide so be it though is never the challenge on a guided hunt as when on my own.

A few states allow you to draw a 2nd choice or leftover or OTC and not burn points. Those tags generally are for hunts with large numbers of tags or not much public land with critters or both. Seeking access to private land where are fewer orange vests and fewer ATVs zooming along is more my style now not because I think for a minute hunting on private is a more challenging approach but because that approach is the one that works now for me to have a more enjoyable experience.
    Last edited by LopeHunter; 08-10-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: words

5. Default

The first year I hunted antelope in WY (unit 24) was in 1985 and I paid $100 for the access fee on private land. Got a nice buck too.

Last year I hunted 24 again and paid $600 for access. To me LAST YEAR it was worth it......why?

Well.....

1) didn't know anything about OnX mapping system.
    2) didn't know anything about goHUNT's Insider program and didn't know the first place to start to look for a place to hunt and a tag to put in for and draw.
    3) didn't know anything about HT, Randy Newberg and all y'alls and all the great stuff posted on this forum
    4) wanted as much of a "sure thing" as I could get since I was taking one of my sons hunting who had never harvested a big game critter.
    5) the landowner contact basically fell into my lap via a friend from work and I didn't have to put in any time scouting or planning
    6) the type 2 tag was available in late August......the idea of hunting in WY didn't even cross my mind until after the draw deadline had come and gone.

Now would I do it again? NEVER! Why?.......

1) found OnX mapping app...this is a no-brainer if you are a hunter
    2) found goHUNT and was able to research units that assured I would be drawing a tag
    3) took a scouting trip to my unit in July to find the good spots on public land as starting points
    4) found HT and got some great advice from a fellow HT'er about the unit I'm in via PM's......not to mention all the great stuff y'all post on a daily basis about tactics, techniques, places, strategies, etc.
    6) have a nice meat-packing pack now and don't have to worry about getting a critter out, no matter how far from the truck it is
    7) made a couple of landowner contacts while I was scouting in July, and since I'm filling doe tags they were more than willing to let me hunt their land without paying an access fee

The thing is, everyone's circumstance is different and circumstances dictate tactics. Last year my circumstances dictated that I pay the access fee. This year, thankfully, my circumstances are totally different.

6. Default

The day I pay a dime for access is the day I quit hunting .

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Name:  7336C06E-C300-457C-89D0-0A7B452D5C79.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  68.8 KB
    LOL, nothing like correcting someone and not quite getting it right. Hopefully no one parked along the interstate.
    Fear the beard....

Quote Originally Posted by Focus View Post
    The first year I hunted antelope in WY (unit 24) was in 1985 and I paid $100 for the access fee on private land. Got a nice buck too.

Last year I hunted 24 again and paid $600 for access. To me LAST YEAR it was worth it......why?

Well.....

1) didn't know anything about OnX mapping system.
    2) didn't know anything about goHUNT's Insider program and didn't know the first place to start to look for a place to hunt and a tag to put in for and draw.
    3) didn't know anything about HT, Randy Newberg and all y'alls and all the great stuff posted on this forum
    4) wanted as much of a "sure thing" as I could get since I was taking one of my sons hunting who had never harvested a big game critter.
    5) the landowner contact basically fell into my lap via a friend from work and I didn't have to put in any time scouting or planning
    6) the type 2 tag was available in late August......the idea of hunting in WY didn't even cross my mind until after the draw deadline had come and gone.

Now would I do it again? NEVER! Why?.......

1) found OnX mapping app...this is a no-brainer if you are a hunter
    2) found goHUNT and was able to research units that assured I would be drawing a tag
    3) took a scouting trip to my unit in July to find the good spots on public land as starting points
    4) found HT and got some great advice from a fellow HT'er about the unit I'm in via PM's......not to mention all the great stuff y'all post on a daily basis about tactics, techniques, places, strategies, etc.
    6) have a nice meat-packing pack now and don't have to worry about getting a critter out, no matter how far from the truck it is
    7) made a couple of landowner contacts while I was scouting in July, and since I'm filling doe tags they were more than willing to let me hunt their land without paying an access fee

The thing is, everyone's circumstance is different and circumstances dictate tactics. Last year my circumstances dictated that I pay the access fee. This year, thankfully, my circumstances are totally different.
    If you've a wife like mine a scouting trip solely for a freakin antelope is out of the question; the cost of which would far exceed the cost of the fee. In my case I know what I have which is thousands of acres, little to no competition and usually lots of antelope. We each do what works for us.

My 2 cents worth, I have paid a trespass fee for hunting that eventually led to free private access after the landowner got to know us and trust us. We now manage that ranch for the wildlife and have access for hunting the entire season.
    More than once a small fee one year led to free access. To me a small fee up front may open doors down the road without having to pay and I'll take that. That being said, we have great public land hunting and now I would not pay that fee except to get private access for my bighorn sheep hunt when that happens. A very small fee would get me access to landlocked sheep country for my DIY hunt.

10. Default

What area?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Atla View Post
    We are paying $120 each in Wyoming, for tresspass fee and a hunting cabin.
    What area is that?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyace View Post
    What area is that?
    I think he night hunts in Yellowstone NP and stays in one of the Park cabins---just kidding!!!

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    The best thing about trespass fees is that they open up more tags for non-residents since locals hate to or aren't willing to pay what it takes to access private land. In area 29, 480 of the 600 tags were allocated to residents but only 49 resident tags were issued in the initial draw. That means that 431 more tags made available [with a concomitant financial windfall to WGFD] to non-residents. If access were a lot easier I'd likely have a snowball's chance in hell of drawing a tag there. There are still 13 type 2 tags left. I'd buy a second one, but I don't need the meat.
    The issue you are seeing/creating is taking land that was once potentially open with just permission to a pay for hunt premium that fewer can or want to afford. Freedom of choice but does carve out areas to pay for play only.

Luckily there are landowners that allow hunting with no fee. If my presence has them incur cost then I will pay it. I try to be appreciative and respectful. We do not have much public ground where I live and grew up. I hate to see other areas become a commodity war on cost to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    That statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    If you want to pick nits, the statement "hunting is ALWAYS better on private land" would be further from the truth. Imagine if you can that everyone [except landowners] who drew an antelope tag for Wyoming would use it on public land, how long would it be before everyone was bitching about how shitty the antelope hunting on public land has gotten.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234