Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 87

Thread: Trespass Fee?

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

    I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.
    I think that's because deer are generally put on a higher pedestal than antelope are. Also we should be glad that the state still controls the licenses.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Or are under 40, have a cell phone, and look at it will pooping

    I can't imagine what you think of me 1,335 in 2.5 years...
    I had smoe catching up to do hence the higher # of posts in a shorter time.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    I stand corrected. Whatever it takes for you to be successful.
    Also if I want to pass on a nice one for a bigger one I know he'll still be there tomorrow and I won't have to worry about the guy in the next pickem truck taking him.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    Eat more insoluble fiber.
    Clearly if you were as good at hunting elk as me you would understand my struggles

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Well they do get a coupon worth I think $32 now which helps to offset the cost of the feed that they eat.
    The Wyoming landowner coupon is $16, not $32, and has been that amount for a number of years now.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    The Wyoming landowner coupon is $16, not $32, and has been that amount for a number of years now.
    Yep. My error. Shudda looked at my license.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hodale, Idaho
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Clearly if you were as good at hunting elk as me you would understand my struggles
    I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

  8. #58

    Default

    They only inquiry I've ever made about trespass fees lead me to a landowner that wanted $200 for access and 1 doe. $50 per additional doe. If you want to go that route more power to you. It doesn't make you any less of a hunter. Do what is fun for you and makes you happy.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.
    You sir are in fact an elk magnet.

    Hmmmm I hear there is this stuff called "Salad" may have to check it out... I'm skeptical...

  10. #60

    Default

    I have been hunting a ranch south of Gillette since 2008, when it was $100 trespass fee. Last couple years its gone up to $300. This year I chose DIY in a different Unit mostly for the experience. They were always great people and had lots of antelope.

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    I'm not local to Wyoming but I don't need to pay a trespass fee because I understand how to hunt in the west. I just don't get why you would. Antelope are easy to get tags for even as a non resident and easy to harvest even with limited knowledge.
    I'm going to make some assumptions about you and shaffe.
    1 You guys dont live in the west or are fairly new to hunting the west? Less than 10 harvested animals?
    2. You joined hunttalk to LEARN.
    3. You have lots of free time judging by the fact you have both been members for less than a year but north of 150 posts?

    I say these things not to be offensive but because you seem to be arguing a point with a perspective that is completely backwards from everybody I'm surrounded by in the west.That lead me to believe that you are from States that are predominantly private ground and are approaching pronghorn hunting from a different perspective.
    You guys can certainly hunt however you want but you should know you're just throwing money down a hole and In the process making Western hunting a rich man's sport.
    Well, personally I wasn't planning on paying a trespass fee to hunt but rather to cross land in order to hunt on public land. I don't say I disagree with anyone's perspective on here but I personally don't think it's productive to shame how individuals gain access to their hunting land whether it's public land, personal connections, gifts, services, cash payment, or begging and pleading. Yeah, obviously some methods benefit some over others but welcome to just about every aspect of life I know about.

    I suppose Antelope Dundee appears fully capable of defending himself. As far as me, I was willing to pay the fee because faced with the reality of trying to hunt our federal BLM land I realized the most of it was intentional landlocked by ranchers and local governments and I naturally wanted to at least try to hunt most of the land that belongs to us even if given the reality means I might have to pay to do it.

    In the 4 states I have lived in, Ohio and especially Michigan and North Carolina actually have vasts tracts of public land which is readily accessible. Of course, many of the landowners and locals seem to think they own it and can run the show. The difference between these states and Wyoming is not that we don't have public land as you suggest but that we tell the locals and surrounding landowners to pound sand when they try to restrict access. In general, most of our acreage does not have public access to roads intentional cut off so that most of our acreage can be landlocked by private land.

    In many ways, it's really irrelevant how things are done in Wyoming or how backwards my logic is to them because the land is owned nationally and I have as much say to it as anyone. I disagree with how things are done with Federal land in Wyoming and believe it should be done the way it is here with open access to the public with public right aways. Enough said.

    And as far as how often I post, well I guess I'll post as much as I want...in all do respect.

  12. #62

    Default

    If my hunting comes down to paying a trespass fee I will take up bowling.
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.”

    ― Benjamin Franklin

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Well, personally I wasn't planning on paying a trespass fee to hunt but rather to cross land in order to hunt on public land. I don't say I disagree with anyone's perspective on here but I personally don't think it's productive to shame how individuals gain access to their hunting land whether it's public land, personal connections, gifts, services, cash payment, or begging and pleading. Yeah, obviously some methods benefit some over others but welcome to just about every aspect of life I know about.

    I suppose Antelope Dundee appears fully capable of defending himself. As far as me, I was willing to pay the fee because faced with the reality of trying to hunt our federal BLM land I realized the most of it was intentional landlocked by ranchers and local governments and I naturally wanted to at least try to hunt most of the land that belongs to us even if given the reality means I might have to pay to do it.

    In the 4 states I have lived in, Ohio and especially Michigan and North Carolina actually have vasts tracts of public land which is readily accessible. Of course, many of the landowners and locals seem to think they own it and can run the show. The difference between these states and Wyoming is not that we don't have public land as you suggest but that we tell the locals and surrounding landowners to pound sand when they try to restrict access. In general, most of our acreage does not have public access to roads intentional cut off so that most of our acreage can be landlocked by private land.

    In many ways, it's really irrelevant how things are done in Wyoming or how backwards my logic is to them because the land is owned nationally and I have as much say to it as anyone. I disagree with how things are done with Federal land in Wyoming and believe it should be done the way it is here with open access to the public with public right aways. Enough said.

    And as far as how often I post, well I guess I'll post as much as I want...in all do respect.
    I had someone tell me years ago that those ranchers actually brag about having exclusive access to landlocked public land. Bastards.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hodale, Idaho
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Well, personally I wasn't planning on paying a trespass fee to hunt but rather to cross land in order to hunt on public land. I don't say I disagree with anyone's perspective on here but I personally don't think it's productive to shame how individuals gain access to their hunting land whether it's public land, personal connections, gifts, services, cash payment, or begging and pleading. Yeah, obviously some methods benefit some over others but welcome to just about every aspect of life I know about.

    I suppose Antelope Dundee appears fully capable of defending himself. As far as me, I was willing to pay the fee because faced with the reality of trying to hunt our federal BLM land I realized the most of it was intentional landlocked by ranchers and local governments and I naturally wanted to at least try to hunt most of the land that belongs to us even if given the reality means I might have to pay to do it.

    In the 4 states I have lived in, Ohio and especially Michigan and North Carolina actually have vasts tracts of public land which is readily accessible. Of course, many of the landowners and locals seem to think they own it and can run the show. The difference between these states and Wyoming is not that we don't have public land as you suggest but that we tell the locals and surrounding landowners to pound sand when they try to restrict access. In general, most of our acreage does not have public access to roads intentional cut off so that most of our acreage can be landlocked by private land.
    I assure you that Wyoming has many times the amount of accessible public land then the states you have mentioned. In fact a small percentage is actually land locked. You have some very confusing statements here that lead me to believe you have chosen a unit where there is very limited public access? That's your choice but to think that is how it has to be? I'd like you to know that it's not.
    I feel as if I'm parking in the grocery store parking lot watching you guys pay to park in a lot across the street. You know it's free to park over here right?
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

  15. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    I assure you that Wyoming has many times the amount of accessible public land then the states you have mentioned. In fact a small percentage is actually land locked. You have some very confusing statements here that lead me to believe you have chosen a unit where there is very limited public access? That's your choice but to think that is how it has to be? I'd like you to know that it's not.
    I feel as if I'm parking in the grocery store parking lot watching you guys pay to park in a lot across the street. You know it's free to park over here right?
    In the area I choose to hunt access to a non-resident type 1 tag is harder than access to public ground.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hodale, Idaho
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    In the area I choose to hunt access to a non-resident type 1 tag is harder than access to public ground.
    Again a choice, its probably an easier hunt. Cool.
    I hunt for the challenge. That's why I have some drinks mounted in the house and some "trophies" in the shed. I forget the details of the easy hunts and will remember the times I have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
    Some just want an easy hunt. Enjoy
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

    I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.
    I did not ask that question. My perception was just that they viewed them as common place and valueless and they just didn't want to deal with pronghorn hunters until the more "valuable" deer hunting was done.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    Again a choice, its probably an easier hunt. Cool.
    I hunt for the challenge. That's why I have some drinks mounted in the house and some "trophies" in the shed. I forget the details of the easy hunts and will remember the times I have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
    Some just want an easy hunt. Enjoy
    Frankly, you should be happier than a pig in a new mudhole that some of us choose private land. Means less competition for public land. Also I had an offer to hunt private land for free in western WY, but I refuse to wait 6 years and pay for preference points in order to get a tag. In my experience having hunted both there is no difference in a hard or easy hunt for public vs private land. I do a fair amount of walking and have arthritis issues so there's little point in making it purposefully difficult.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 08-09-2018 at 09:39 PM.

  19. #69

    Default

    never would even consider paying a fee for a lope buck let alone lope does (hand shake and case of beer completely excepable). As far as # of hunters and buck size public/private you guys are clueless, remember there are more antelope than people here. I think elkmagnet wasnt far off on this one... happens every year, all the "experts" from other states surface, usually midwest. To each there own and if your willing to pay and makes you happy so be it but eventually it will be downfall of access as you will be priced right out of same situation you now embrace and help create. 5 more days till i hunt antelope on public land!

  20. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccc23454 View Post
    never would even consider paying a fee for a lope buck let alone lope does (hand shake and case of beer completely excepable). As far as # of hunters and buck size public/private you guys are clueless, remember there are more antelope than people here. I think elkmagnet wasnt far off on this one... happens every year, all the "experts" from other states surface, usually midwest. To each there own and if your willing to pay and makes you happy so be it but eventually it will be downfall of access as you will be priced right out of same situation you now embrace and help create. 5 more days till i hunt antelope on public land!
    Fee based hunting in the west was created long before I started hunting out there and it hasn't gotten any worse or any better for me since then. I could probably strike some real nerves if I started a thread about outfitters and how much they charge for the same lopegoat. Tree fitty seems like a bargain compared to $1500 on up for a "guided" hunt. I'd give a local a couple Bens to take me out to a good spot. Unfortunately all the ones I knew have died or moved away.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.
    The "school section" must be have access. Many sections are landlocked.

    good luck to all
    the dog
    "it's the HUNT, not the KILL"

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elkmagnet View Post
    I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.

    You need an apprentice !?

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdonniebrasco View Post
    You need an apprentice !?
    Whoa whoa whoa... back off brasco, don't edge in on the rapport I'm building with elkmagnet.

    If you had been following the thread I was clearly trying to become the apprentice, my negging was obviously working, go talk to greenhorn...

  24. #74

    Default

    Originally Posted by antelopedundee
    There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

    Don't know how you came up with that number! Actually Section 36 in each township in Wyoming is the state land you're referring to as a school section, not every 10th as you stated!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-10-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hodale, Idaho
    Posts
    2,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... back off brasco, don't edge in on the rapport I'm building with elkmagnet.

    If you had been following the thread I was clearly trying to become the apprentice, my negging was obviously working, go talk to greenhorn...
    While all this is very flattering I already told you guys my secret. I try to get as much insoluble fiber as possible. Other than that it's probably just my superior genetics.
    I have no interest in getting into amateur proctology and would never recommend you take my advice.
    “LET ME TELL YOU WHY PEOPLE LIVE IN IDAHO…THEY LIVE IN IDAHO BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEIR PUBLIC LANDS. THEY LIKE ACCESS TO THEM FOR RECREATION, FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, OR ALL THE ACTIVITIES THEY DO ON PUBLIC LANDS.”
    -U.S. Representative Mike Simpson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •