Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trespass Fee?

Default Trespass Fee?

What are people here paying for trespass fees for antelope in Wyoming?

$350 this year and no extra charge to fill a doe tag. After the 4th day I pretty much have the whole ranch to myself.

2. Default

We are still looking for some access. Mainly just for our doe tags. I'm curious too.

I’ve never heard of that...is it just an access fee paid before hand? Is there a centralized place to find that arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by Rzrbck918 View Post
    Iíve never heard of that...is it just an access fee paid before hand? Is there a centralized place to find that arrangement?
    Yes and no. You have to contact an individual rancher to find out if they allow access and if they do what they charge to hunt their land and what the rules are as to how long the fee is good for, etc.

Cool thanks. I’m looking to do an antelope hunt next year so I’m happy to learn. Appreciate it.

The 2 times I paid it was $35 bucks and $100. Both had a good amount of land and animals, I would never pay $350.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Public Hunter View Post
    The 2 times I paid it was $35 bucks and $100. Both had a good amount of land and animals, I would never pay $350.
    Was that in Wyoming?

I’ve never heard of that...is it just an access fee paid before hand? Is there a centralized place to find that arrangement?
    Most ranchers and private landowners charge a fee to access their land. Some charge nothing, but have small parcels and no guarantee that they'll have animals. I've paid as little as $50 up to $375/$400. Always a good idea to know upfront what the terms will be. I've heard of $1000 and more per gun up around Gillette area. Generally they sign your license which indicates that they've given you permission. Goodies like meat stick snacks and such are always a nice extra touch.

They could pound sand for $350
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

Not what you asked but for some perspective.
    I called an Idaho land owner to see about deer hunting a while back. The phone number was on his signs.
    "For hunting permission call ###-###-#####"
    He told me $500 a day. I asked if it held deer and he responded I'd need $500 to go scout it for a day.

We had better hold on to the public land we have...
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaaf View Post
    They could pound sand for $350
    Why do they owe anybody cheap access? It's supply and demand/what the market will bear just like most other stuff. In area 29 where I'm going, the lion's share of the licenses are good only on private land and the chances of a nonresident drawing a good anywhere in the area Type 1 for 29 are slim.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 08-08-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Was that in Wyoming?
    Yes, both times.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Public Hunter View Post
    Yes, both times.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Why do they owe anybody cheap access? It's supply and demand/what the market will bear just like most other stuff. In area 29 where I'm going, the lion's share of the licenses are good only on private land and the chances of a nonresident drawing a good anywhere in the area Type 1 for 29 are slim.
    I'm guessing he meant the concept of paying for access to shoot an antelope regardless of what they are charging.

To each their own but I would rather hang my boots up then give any landowner one penny for the "privilege" of access to shoot one of "their" animals. That's just me though.

Blog Entries

I was finding $100 to be standard, a few up to $150. Honestly, I'd pay that just to get away from people, regardless of size. We will be in north central WY next fall chasing goats.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    I'm guessing he meant the concept of paying for access to shoot an antelope regardless of what they are charging.

To each their own but I would rather hang my boots up then give any landowner one penny for the "privilege" of access to shoot one of "their" animals. That's just me though.
    He paid lesser amounts at least twice so he's not against the concept. Even around here a lot of the private land is off limits, leased by hunt clubs/private well-heeled groups and the like. No wonder they call it the rich man's sport. I hunted one place in area 26 where they charged just enough [$50] to offset the cost of patrolling their land during hunting season.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 08-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.

I asked a game warden for the area I was going to hunt whether he knew of anyone that would let me pay just to cross their land to get to public without hunting on his land. I would happily have paid $350 just to cross their .3 miles of land that separates thousands of acres probably of public from the other smaller patch of public that ajoins the road.

He said no. Seems that the ranchers view tresspass fees as ability for their guests to hunt their land and have sole access of their guests to the thousands of acres that belong to us. They wouldn't want to sell partial access to their (our) landlocked BLM land.

He also said they were certainly all full at this point and for the most part guests return year after year so I'm guessing getting in early won't help much either for this area.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'm all about people having rights to their own land but...something's got to give with adding some public right aways or something. Of course, I'm speaking as someone who comes from (another form of) reality here.

The more I thought about the uncertainty involving the scant amount of land I figure I'll just start working on preference points. Either that or we need to all go in on a small plane!!!

I think pronghorn are cool animals and no desire to poo poo pronghorn hunting. But for me I figured I can do a blacktail hunt on prince of Wales with less headache and for less additional money than a $350 tresspass fee. To each his own. Won't have to beg a rancher there to cross 300 yards of his land!

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    He paid lesser amounts at least twice so he's not against the concept. Even around here a lot of the private land is off limits, leased by hunt clubs/private well-heeled groups and the like. No wonder they call it the rich man's sport. I hunted one place in area 26 where they charged just enough [$50] to offset the cost of patrolling their land during hunting season.
    I have paid lesser amounts at least twice?
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post

I agree . I'm not paying a dime for land access . I'll give landowners that let me hunt some other things such as couple bags of spuds or some beer or a bottle of their favorite liquor but I'm not paying a trespass fee

Quote Originally Posted by Schaaf View Post
    I have paid lesser amounts at least twice?
    I was referring to the guy who paid $35 and $100, but I see the quotes lead back to you. My boo boo.

22. Default

I would gladly give a 300-500 tresspass fee. Public can be a zoo. Anybody know of a rancher that would accept a tresspass fee in unit 20, send me a p.m. please.

I paid for the special buck tag this year after burning points last year, to hunt the same public land unit. It was worth it to me. If I knew of some quality private that could easily be drawn with zero points in the regular draw, but had a $300 trespass fee, I'd consider that also.. cost would be similar.

I do not like the idea of charging high fees just to drive a half-mile section of a private road to get to state or BLM. But I do think that landowners charging individual hunters for allowing access is definitely preferable to leasing ground to outfitters.

Discussing this topic with the game warden for the WY unit I drew and he mentioned that in a given unit, if the deer season ends and there is still time left in the pronghorn season, that many landowners significantly reduce or even eliminate trespass fees for pronghorn (especially doe tags). In his view they place greater value on maximizing availability for muley hunters and view pronghorn as low value nuisance.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

25. Default

We are paying $120 each in Wyoming, for tresspass fee and a hunting cabin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast