Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

6.5 creedmore and Elk

NOT GOOD! But about 98% of that was me. A .338 Lapau wouldn’t of made a difference. Shot placement is more important then caliber.

NOT GOOD! But about 98% of that was me. A .338 Lapau wouldn’t of made a difference. Shot placement is more important then caliber.
All that and then some. My Dad has killed 4 moose with a 257 Roberts using 117 Nosler Partition. Shot placement!!!!! (Can't figure out how to bold the shot placement part)

Took a 6x5 bull with one last year. First shot broke the front shoulder and second through the lungs. I'm always amazed how far elk can go with those type of injuries (another 200 yards for this elk) but I'm certain that would have been the case with any other caliber. Shot a 6x6 the year before with a 325 through the lungs with an exit hole about the size of a baseball. That one also ran for about 100 yards.

If I was hunting elk with one of my 6.5s I'd be using 140 grain Nosler partitions. If I had an elk tag, I'd probably use my .280 Remington.

I've killed a few cows with a 6.5 creedmore and my wife killed her bull with it last year. Using 143 grn ELDX. None of them made it 10 yards. That said there are much better choices for a dedicated elk gun. I hunt bulls with my bow exclusively... so I sold my .300s and .338LM in favor of one badass taxi driver for bear and dear. When I don't fill my bull tag during archery season, I default to the 6.5 to fill the freezer. My wife and daughter love the gun though.... never misses and with the can has no recoil or noise. My daughter shot a big mule deer , an antelope buck and a bighorn ewe with it last season and I killed my mountain goat with it. Definitely a versatile caliber, but would rank low on my list for a strictly elk rifle.

Has anyone shot an Elk with a 6.5 Creedmore? how did it turn out?

My wife was not happy when i showed up with a new toy. A Howa mountain rifle in 6.5, i bought it for back pack hunting. Long story short she killed a nice antelope and a dang nice 6pt bull with it. By the end of that trip she said I love my new gun. Shooting 143 Eldx bullets at 200 yards the bull hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I wouldn't shy away from it just know your range and place a good shot. I've seen guys shoot elk at 150 yards with a 300 and yet they still go a ways. Shot placement is key on a large bull. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’ve been debating on using mine with the 143 Eldx for my bull tag this fall. I just got a 7 mag that shoots the 162 grain eldx just as good as my creedmoor and I just feel better about it.

I love the creedmoor but I don’t want to have a big ol bull somehow shake it off and make me “that guy”.

With any luck it will be a 75 yard shot and it will be a mute point either way.

Shoot a quality bullet, know its limits and yours and put your shot in the right place I've seen a lot of elk killed with a 243 and one guy a 220 swift which I didn't know until after the fact. But back to your original question ask mtmuley he's a big 6.5mm guy lol.

i've killed more than one with a 143gr ELD-X out of a 6.5x284 and more than that before with a 140gr Berger out of the same. but since yours is a creedmore....well...if you don't have a man bun, you'll be fine.

When I was guiding hunters, everyone showed up with big bore rifles and I would have them shoot before we went out. Not one could hit a paper plate at 200 yards, so I made them shoot my 270. I don’t know if they flinched or were just bad shots but I have no faith in big rifles anymore. Too many think that a big bullet is the save all for big game but if you can’t put it where it needs to be it’s useless. I shoot a 257 weather by with 110 Noslers and have not felt I need more gun. The 6.5 would be a fine elk gun if you can shoot it well. Just my opinion

That 257 Weatherby is a lot more cartridge than the Manbun.

Wow, diss'n MtMuleys 300 Howitser, glad i don't live near where he hunts!! ;)

So what's the best bullet in the 6.5 mm 140 grain class?

I shoot a .264 win mag at 140 grains... best performance by far has been Swift A-frames followed close by nosler partitions, I'm switching to E-Tips this season. I'm really liking Retumbo powder as well, although I'm not sure if that would be a good fit with the smaller case on the creedmore.

Checking in to follow this one. Using mine as a backup gun to my 7stw this fall in New Mexico. Right now it's liking the eldx bullets. I'm very interested in how it may perform on elk shooting savage lwh.

I shot my first Bull last November with my 6.5x284 using Nosler 120 Grain E-tip and he didnt make it but 20 yards before falling over. Now I belly crawled up and over this ridge to get close and to my surprise the elk heard was all of a sudden 20 Ft in front of me, without the wind howling I would have been screwed. So you could say it was a close shot lol. But Im confident with that round out to 400 yards but after that it loses too much velocity to expand correctly.

Back