6.5 creedmore and Elk

My problem isn't with the cartridge. I'm fully aware of what it can and can't do. My problem is with the internet idiots that don't know. mtmuley

Oh ye of little faith.
My 6.5 CM makes my breakfast in the morning, scouts its own game, shoots it at 2000yds and packs it out for me.....all before lunch!

My 6.5 CM makes my breakfast in the morning, scouts its own game, shoots it at 2000yds and packs it out for me.....all before lunch!

Well, owning a .300 mag helps me grow hair in places I don't have it, or want it...but I'd rather shoot my 6.5, it's just flat out more fun and accurate, I'd shoot an elk with it any day. 143gr ELD-X

6.5 just seems a little on the light end for elk, but I've never used one on elk, so what do I really know. I imagine it does fine at standard hunting distances. The problem I see is that many people that shoot them tend to want to shoot 500 plus yds with them and very few hunting situations are actually ok for that.

I guess what I'm saying is its not the rifle its what the Manbun wearers usually want to do with it.

I guess what I'm saying is its not the rifle its what the Manbun wearers usually want to do with it.

You could insert about any cartridge into this statement and it would be true, although it’s not what people WANT to do something much as it’s what they THINK they can do. Idiots aren’t exclusive to the Man Bun.

You could insert about any cartridge into this statement and it would be true, although it’s not what people WANT to do something much as it’s what they THINK they can do. Idiots aren’t exclusive to the Man Bun.

I agree. Its just that most of the goofballs that think its a good idea to try to shoot game 1000yds away seem to have gravitated toward the 6.5MB these days. I have nothing against the cartridge, but I do have a problem with people that lob irresponsible shots into a herd at first light. I see it every fall.

Yep, that's one of my peves. I just can't stay off the soapbox with some things.

I agree. Its just that most of the goofballs have gravitated toward the *any mag caliber* these days. I have nothing against the cartridge, but I do have a problem with people that lob irresponsible shots into a herd at first light. I see it every fall.

FIFY...it's the "knockdown power will make up for a bad shot" myth

Jack O'Conner had a great answer to about the same question with the 270. "What's the bullet gonna do, bounce off"? I've used my 6.5x06 with great results and now use my 30-06 but my backup is a 6.5x55! What's the bullet gonna do, bounce off!

Jack O'Conner had a great answer to about the same question with the 270. "What's the bullet gonna do, bounce off"? I've used my 6.5x06 with great results and now use my 30-06 but my backup is a 6.5x55! What's the bullet gonna do, bounce off!

A 6.5mm 140 grain bullet going 2900 fps from a 9 twist barrel doesn't really give a shit which rifle, powder or cartridge case propelled it. So in that respect Jack O' was right. Bullet placement is key as is the arousal level of the target. Calm animals unaware of your presence usually go down quite rapidly.

Back