Colorado - Grizzly - Adam Greentree

Grizzlies in Colorado

• Yes

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 78 73.6%

• Total voters
I watched the joe rogan podcast with greentree and given his inability to even identify well known australian animals I wouldn't value his judgement too much.

Given that it was him there's also every chance regardless of whether there are Grizzlies in CO that it's from another state. I'm sure the pic got him plenty of likes and follows which seems like his motivation for much of what he does.

yeah he shot some animal(s) in a national park in Australia, got the judgement postponed so he could come to the us to hunt in september, just another instagram hunter...

Thats a brown bear!! No question. Only other question is where were those pictures taken. Either way, it's just a matter of time here in Colorado!!

Great looking black bear, wllm!! How big was he?

Nothing huge, just a good average Idaho bear... nose to tail 5'3".

Nothing screams grizzly to me about the bear in Adam's pictures... and seems like opinions are split not only on this thread but also among various professionals who have seen this photo. If anything kinda shows that in grizzly county you really need to get close and observe an animal for a while before pulling the trigger.

As to the poll - yes, I believe there is a good chance we have them in CO - most likely as transients from the Winds up in the NW (like the one Cody Lujan has talked about) and potentially (less likely, IMO) in the South San Juans.

I spent a good amount of time in SW/W Alaska so I've seen more than my share of brown bears, but I'm not convinced by the 1st photo. The 2nd photo looks more 'grizz-ish' than the 1st with the shoulders and head so prominent, but it's still hard to tell at that angle.

Without more than a cursory knowledge of Adam Greentree, I can't debate the veracity of the source.

I think it's very possible they are there, wolves too.

I agree on the wolves. They seem to branch out quite a bit and I know they get over into Nebraska and South Dakota from Yellowstone so Colorado is almost certain to see them occasionally as well. Most people were doubters in that area until one got run over. Then there was no denying.

Are there other pics? Odd that a tough angle to judg and no clear head pics to choose from. I'm no expert but something smells bad. I call some sort of b.s. on these particular pics. Kinda like all sasquatch pics are blurry. Possible imho but seems fishy.

Way late to this page but thought I would give my two cents nonetheless. I showed the second photo to my Mammology professor at Colorado State University, and asked for his take on what species it was. I didn’t ask anything that would have influenced a particular response, such as, “What do you think about the shoulder hump?” or anything along those lines. I also didn’t mention where the photo was taken. He responded in an almost annoyed manner as he was able to come to the conclusion that it was a grizzly very quickly. It wasn’t until I stated the photo was taken in Colorado that he really gained interest. Without being too long-winded, he backed his opinion by noting the large dish-shaped skull, noticeable shoulder hump, smaller ears compared to a black bear, and pelage that matched a grizzly (although pelage obviously isn’t a sole identifier).

I'm no expert at all...have seen a grizz before though, and I think the 2nd pic is a grizz...huge head and good shoulder hump...not the best angle though....

Way late to this page but thought I would give my two cents nonetheless. I showed the second photo to my Mammology professor at Colorado State University, and asked for his take on what species it was. I didn’t ask anything that would have influenced a particular response, such as, “What do you think about the shoulder hump?” or anything along those lines. I also didn’t mention where the photo was taken. He responded in an almost annoyed manner as he was able to come to the conclusion that it was a grizzly very quickly. It wasn’t until I stated the photo was taken in Colorado that he really gained interest. Without being too long-winded, he backed his opinion by noting the large dish-shaped skull, noticeable shoulder hump, smaller ears compared to a black bear, and pelage that matched a grizzly (although pelage obviously isn’t a sole identifier).

Sorry totally disagree, from the picture you can't tell what shape the head really is, big boar black bears can have noticeable shoulder humps in certain angles, the color seems off to me, etc etc. If I was hunting bears in CO I would probably take the shot, in Montana I would get closer. Also the pic is clearly right at timberline so those trees are likely really small, I wouldn't be surprised if that's only a 5ft 160lb sow. Hence the importance of knowing your target, getting close and having good optics.

I bet your professor knows his stuff, but I bet would he would have a hell of a time telling which of these bears were black bears and which were grizz at 800 yards with a crappy spotter. I bet a lot of people would get these wrong at this range...

Point is Greentree has very little experience with bears and it can be tough as hell sometimes for pros, at that range with only those photos to work with it's pretty much impossible to be 100% certain.

Apparently David Petersen (Ghost Grizzlies, among others) has seen the pics and has said in no uncertain terms it's not a grizz...

Attachments

• blackbear.jpg
    blackbear.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 16
  • blackbear1.jpg
    blackbear1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 16
  • grizzly1.jpg
    grizzly1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • grizzly2.jpg
    grizzly2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
  • blackbear3.jpg
    blackbear3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My general feeling on this is that the information provided by someone whose livelihood is dependent on a sensational Instagram feed, might not be the most reliable source of factual information, and might have a lot of incentive to post some thing that might be on the flimsy end of fact.

I am not calling the guy a liar, but I believe he posted a bunch of garbage about being charged by a grizz and his pistol malfunctioning in MT, while on the same 3 wk trip to elk hunt in the states, where he might as well have also spotted a unicorn, given how few (if any) grizz in NW CO. If it is all true he must be the luckiest/unlucky elk hunter out there, depending on your POV....

IMO, the pic could go either way, it definitely isn't enough to convince me of anything.

I can't handle these insta famous clowns and wouldn't trust anything they say.. like his "wild" fenced in bison hunt.. also he apparently likes to hunt national parks down under..but still has sponsors somehow..

I would venture blackie, but the picture angle is tough and the quality is even worse. The color doesn't really look right, but it could be due to many things. like lighting, editing, etc. I couldn't' say without a doubt one way or the other from the pictures.

From what I remember hearing the pic was taking in the San Juan’s. Some of that country doesn’t see many people ever.

From what I remember hearing the pic was taking in the San Juan’s. Some of that country doesn’t see many people ever.
Yep, read ghost grizz as I alluded to above. If there were bears there they would be a remnant pop there is no way they got there from WY without people noticing. Last bear killed in the San Juan’s was 40 years ago and there are rumors that bear was there due to some bucket biology.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back