Off season practice

mrjashu

I like to shoot year 'round, you know what they say, "practice makes perfect". Thomas Haugland has come up with some great practice exercises and his long range proficiency test. While I really love practicing at 500yds+ (and everything in between) sometimes I only have time to get to the local range that is limited to 200yds. Thomas put together a really nice practice target to be used at 100m. I've modified it a bit and scaled it for 100yd practice (hope he doesn't mind), and attached it here. I've found it a really fun exercise to test my consistency and work on fundamentals at short range.

(The intended use is to shoot one shot per shape, breaking position each time)

Attachments

• 100yd Challenge.jpg
    100yd Challenge.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 434
  • 100yd Challenge.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
awesome thanks! I just moved and all i have is a 100yd range 10min down the raod and a 300yd an hour out.

Figured I can hit up the 100yd at least one a week and 300 on the weekend, this will for sure make it more fun than just bullseyes, thanks!

Seems fewer and fewer people shoot throughout the year.
They don't know what they are missing.
Great fun and always good to keep the skill level up

Thanks guys! Only 100 yard range nearby here also.

A couple of years ago I won an unknown distance match with targets from 200+ to beyond 1100yds. Over 95% of my practice leading up to that match was 1/4" dot drills at 25yds and 1/2 dot drills at 50yds with my .22LR and a basic 4x32 scope.

A couple of years ago I won an unknown distance match with targets from 200+ to beyond 1100yds. Over 95% of my practice leading up to that match was 1/4" dot drills at 25yds and 1/2 dot drills at 50yds with my .22LR and a basic 4x32 scope.

That's awesome!

Interesting set of targets. Thanks for sharing!

I usually use golfballs, bowling pins, and ground hogs for practice off season with my deer rifles.

Interesting set of targets. Thanks for sharing!

I usually use golfballs, bowling pins, and ground hogs for practice off season with my deer rifles.

That sounds like more fun, my range only allows paper targets unfortunately.

Thanks for the targets. My 11 year old son and I used them this weekend. He shot the top row and I shot the next row. I told him that when we were done we would tally up the totals and I would pay him $1 for each hit that he made that was more than me. It was actually a little harder than I expected. Those triangles are especially hard for me. Thankfully I ended up with more hits than he did so I didn't have to pay out anything this time.

If he ever gets good enough to beat me we may have to switch it up so that we pay out based on the size that is hit. i.e. I pay $1 for a hit on the .5 MOA target, 75 cents for a hit on the .75 MOA target, 50 cents for a hit on the 1 MOA target, and 25 cents for a hit on the 1.5 MOA target.

Right now I'm paying 50 cents for every clay pigeon he busts as well.

It has for sure changed his attitude on going shooting as well as how long he wants to stay out there.

When you calculate up the cost of the ammo and clays the added cost of what I'm paying out doesn't really end up that much more. I do think I'm going to have to drop it to paying 25 cents per clay pigeon pretty soon though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back