Newbie from GA

GAHuntNFish

Hello Everyone, I am beginning the plans and preparations for my first DIY Southwest Colorado wilderness backcounty elk hunt. I am currently playing the long game and waiting till 2020 to go on my first hunt for a few reasons but mainly because i need to lose about 80lbs before i go, and this has become a great motivator to finally get back in shape. I am mainly a tree-stand whitetail hunter but funny enough the first animal i ever killed was a Colorado antelope when i was 12 years old when my dad went on his first guided elk hunt. The one thing i learned from watching my dad go on guided hunts is that you never really become a better hunter by going with a guide, and my goal is to become a hunter instead of a shooter. I'm sure i will have many questions over the coming year about tactics and gear but currently i am just enjoying browsing and reading all of the great posts and information to make sure i stay motivated since 26 months can feel like forever when you are trying to full fill a 10 year dream. Thanks for all the great information and wonderful community you have here.

One thing i am wondering if anyone has any back issues that hunts the back country and how do you deal with it. I was diagnosed with a bulging disc 6 months ago and have been doing a lot of physical therapy for it. My PT basically said that it is going to come down to mind over matter to manage this hunt and to do everything i can to lose weight and strengthen my core but that she sees no issue with me being able to carry a 75+lb pack if i am serious enough about it to put in the hard work early.

Last edited:
Welcome and keep it up with the fitness goals!

Welcome from Pa ! Bad disk @ osteoarthritis forces me to adhere to a lengthy stretching process daily, @ sometimes while in the field. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! Good luck with your conditioning!

Welcome, I spent 17 years in GA before heading out west. I don't miss the Atlanta traffic, but I do miss the southern bells. I think the back issue is a serious one, I have scoliosis top and bottom. It's a daily consideration if one wants to stay active and participate in western type hunts or hikes. I personally have to do yoga, kettlebell swings and workout just to stay moderately pain free and mobile. If I slack at all, it's back to pain. I notice it immediately on the trail, regardless of the weight in the pack. To combat the pain, I look at at upcoming hunt, like a fighter would view an upcoming fight. 2 months of daily flexibility and strength training before hunt week.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back