Thread: Roe buck rut

Default Roe buck rut

Just realised I didn't get a decent photo of his antlers, but they were very small.
    I was actually after the 4 red stags I had been seeing, they were there but soon went into the woods and disappeared before I had a chance (I will try again this evening!) and then out popped the little roe buck, so bearing in mind I had run out of venison he was firmly on the agenda.
    Its been a very odd year in relation to the Roe Buck rut, I haven't seen any evidence that it was under way, but I had to try and call it in.
    I moved out of sight and started using the buttalo call, his head popped up around 300 yards away, I kept calling and he started to trot, but bugger me he decided to circumvent me and he would have smelt me any second, as he went behind a hay bale I waited for him to run out, he did, I barked, and then the 30-06 barked!
    Job done, yum, yum!
    Name:  IMG_20180808_060436302.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  55.0 KB

Cheers

Richard
    Last edited by devon deer; 08-08-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    That's what the actress said to the bishop

Nice one Richard, hereís one from my side of the UK for one of my regular clients

Name:  BEC747ED-E290-49E1-B5C3-8B7EBB63C4B4.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  171.7 KB

This one is a blast from the past, I hunted this buck for 7 years!

Name:  55B84916-A270-4349-9A7B-65E95E9C8ACA.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  285.4 KB

Name:  FE18F824-D134-4ACE-9BC3-C6528AF8182C.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  75.8 KB

Nice Lee, my favourite deer to stalk, the Roe Buck.
    Back home now and in the chiller.
    Name:  IMG_20180808_100415323.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  65.5 KB
    Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by devon deer; 08-08-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Congrats! Always nice to get some meat for the freezer.
    Guns don't kill people. Dads with pretty daughters do!

Meat hanging. Nice job!

Wow, just thought. It's been over 2 years now since I joined you for my Roe buck! Where does the time go?
    Guns don't kill people. Dads with pretty daughters do!

Super!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

What kind of crop was grown in the field with the tall stubble?

Crazy isn't it Dave, time flies, not sure it's going to work out for WATT21 this year as his work is getting in the way, but Brymoore has already been in touch for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave N View Post
    Wow, just thought. It's been over 2 years now since I joined you for my Roe buck! Where does the time go?

It was wheat, or should I say what was left of it!
    We are in the middle of a drought.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Super!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

What kind of crop was grown in the field with the tall stubble?

Nicely done! Congrats on a fine roe deer.
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

I was wondering how your hunt went on Thursday. Glad to see that you were able to connect with one. By the looks of the shot location on that buck, I would say the "06" is ready for Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer View Post
    Crazy isn't it Dave, time flies, not sure it's going to work out for WATT21 this year as his work is getting in the way, but Brymoore has already been in touch for next year.

It was wheat, or should I say what was left of it!
    We are in the middle of a drought.
    Devon, I should have been more specific, I was referring to the pic posted by leec270. Hope you guys get some rain soon. Drought's not fun for anyone.

Thanks guys.

My 30-06 is ready, as you have experienced Sawtooth, it's an accurate rifle!

Sorry 1_pointer, I think it is Barley, I will check with Lee.

Cheers

Richard

No not barley Richard itís oil seed rape and itís a pain to shoot in, the stalks are tall and tough and will deflect a bullet, I have been predator hunting (red fox) for the last week to help the farmer who releases pheasants and French partridge for drive hunting and these foxes are hiding in these tall stubbles!

I have shot 6 so far this week (they donít like 270win)from tree stands but blanked this evening, Iíll have another go on Friday evening.

I say blanked, but have seen 4 Muntjac, 5 Chinese water deer and 4 female red deer!

Thanks Lee, I had a good evening too, 4 nice stags, hind with calf and 2 roe deer, all still alive!
    I will try again!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by leec270 View Post
    No not barley Richard it’s oil seed rape and it’s a pain to shoot in, the stalks are tall and tough and will deflect a bullet, I have been predator hunting (red fox) for the last week to help the farmer who releases pheasants and French partridge for drive hunting and these foxes are hiding in these tall stubbles!

I have shot 6 so far this week (they don’t like 270win)from tree stands but blanked this evening, I’ll have another go on Friday evening.

I say blanked, but have seen 4 Muntjac, 5 Chinese water deer and 4 female red deer!

Quote Originally Posted by leec270 View Post
    No not barley Richard it’s oil seed rape and it’s a pain to shoot in, the stalks are tall and tough and will deflect a bullet, I have been predator hunting (red fox) for the last week to help the farmer who releases pheasants and French partridge for drive hunting and these foxes are hiding in these tall stubbles!

I have shot 6 so far this week (they don’t like 270win)from tree stands but blanked this evening, I’ll have another go on Friday evening.

Thanks for the explanation. I've never seen a field full of rape before. I have planted it as part of a mix for wildlife on my place in the past, but never that thick.