Roe buck rut

devon deer

Just realised I didn't get a decent photo of his antlers, but they were very small.
I was actually after the 4 red stags I had been seeing, they were there but soon went into the woods and disappeared before I had a chance (I will try again this evening!) and then out popped the little roe buck, so bearing in mind I had run out of venison he was firmly on the agenda.
Its been a very odd year in relation to the Roe Buck rut, I haven't seen any evidence that it was under way, but I had to try and call it in.
I moved out of sight and started using the buttalo call, his head popped up around 300 yards away, I kept calling and he started to trot, but bugger me he decided to circumvent me and he would have smelt me any second, as he went behind a hay bale I waited for him to run out, he did, I barked, and then the 30-06 barked!
Job done, yum, yum!
IMG_20180808_060436302.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Nice Lee, my favourite deer to stalk, the Roe Buck.
Back home now and in the chiller.
IMG_20180808_100415323.jpg
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Wow, just thought. It's been over 2 years now since I joined you for my Roe buck! Where does the time go?

Super!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

What kind of crop was grown in the field with the tall stubble?

Crazy isn't it Dave, time flies, not sure it's going to work out for WATT21 this year as his work is getting in the way, but Brymoore has already been in touch for next year.
Wow, just thought. It's been over 2 years now since I joined you for my Roe buck! Where does the time go?

It was wheat, or should I say what was left of it!
We are in the middle of a drought.
Super!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

What kind of crop was grown in the field with the tall stubble?

I was wondering how your hunt went on Thursday. Glad to see that you were able to connect with one. By the looks of the shot location on that buck, I would say the "06" is ready for Montana.:)

Crazy isn't it Dave, time flies, not sure it's going to work out for WATT21 this year as his work is getting in the way, but Brymoore has already been in touch for next year.

It was wheat, or should I say what was left of it!
We are in the middle of a drought.
Devon, I should have been more specific, I was referring to the pic posted by leec270. Hope you guys get some rain soon. Drought's not fun for anyone.

Thanks guys.

My 30-06 is ready, as you have experienced Sawtooth, it's an accurate rifle!

Sorry 1_pointer, I think it is Barley, I will check with Lee.

Cheers

Richard

No not barley Richard it’s oil seed rape and it’s a pain to shoot in, the stalks are tall and tough and will deflect a bullet, I have been predator hunting (red fox) for the last week to help the farmer who releases pheasants and French partridge for drive hunting and these foxes are hiding in these tall stubbles!

I have shot 6 so far this week (they don’t like 270win)from tree stands but blanked this evening, I’ll have another go on Friday evening.

I say blanked, but have seen 4 Muntjac, 5 Chinese water deer and 4 female red deer!

Thanks Lee, I had a good evening too, 4 nice stags, hind with calf and 2 roe deer, all still alive!
I will try again!
Cheers
Richard
No not barley Richard it’s oil seed rape and it’s a pain to shoot in, the stalks are tall and tough and will deflect a bullet, I have been predator hunting (red fox) for the last week to help the farmer who releases pheasants and French partridge for drive hunting and these foxes are hiding in these tall stubbles!

I have shot 6 so far this week (they don’t like 270win)from tree stands but blanked this evening, I’ll have another go on Friday evening.

I say blanked, but have seen 4 Muntjac, 5 Chinese water deer and 4 female red deer!

Thanks for the explanation. I've never seen a field full of rape before. I have planted it as part of a mix for wildlife on my place in the past, but never that thick.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back