Hey WY & MT, time to catch up

I don’t know why he did either :rolleyes:

Don’t you think those shaded harvest maps would have to be based on GPS....nevermind.

No I don't think they would need to be based on GPS! Wyoming G&F could easily make a shaded map of their numbered units for a species with a map legend showing the various colors representing a certain number of animals taken in each unit. However, the way they do it with actual numbers they come up with based on hunter surveys and extrapolation is probably better ans easier to do. Geez, I thought this had all been resolved, but it seems like some just want to keep the flames going!

Deleted. This has gotten way too dumb.

Last edited:
Talking now about tagging or not tagging game in the field, I'm very surprised that any state would relax their rules on tagging since through the years most have been very strict with Montana even citing the guy several years ago because he didn't "immediately" tag his bull elk even though he did before it was moved from the kill site. That actually ended up in a big flap that got the law changed the following season with "immediately" being removed. IMHO as long as the person has the proper license/tag and follows the law by using that tag when he kills an animal it was issued for it seems a little ridiculous to require it to be attached as long as he has it with him up to and through transport to his home or a processor.

AFAIK in Wyoming tagging usually refers to signing, dating, notching and separating your license right after the kill. You don't necessarily need to affix it to the carcass. Also there is NO VALID EXCUSE for failure to tag.

When it's time to attach it I like to use those plastic ties. They work slick.

Last edited:
AFAIK in Wyoming tagging usually refers to signing, dating, notching and separating your license right after the kill. You don't necessarily need to affix it to the carcass. Also there is NO VALID EXCUSE for failure to tag.

That is exactly why I made that statement because Wyoming uses some common sense and as long as you date, sign, and notch the carcass tag part of your license at the kill site all you need to do is have it in your possession as you mentioned, so anyone going out there this year that aren't aware of that it's good information for them to know. For one thing that essentially eliminates losing the tag if a person drags the entire carcass back to their truck or camp with the tag affixed and I have heard of that happening.

Last edited:
"Paper tag:
Validate your tag by writing in ink the harvest date/time and Wildlife Management Unit where the harvest occurred. Place paper tag in a plastic bag to protect it from the elements and attach it to the carcass.

Electronic tag (cell phone or tablet):
Validate your tag electronically with an app that will work even when offline. Then take the confirmation number from the app plus your name, ODFW ID, Date of Birth, harvest date and write it on anything that will stand up to the elements (like duct tape, trail ribbon or piece of paper in plastic bag), affix it to the animal like a traditional tag and keep it attached to the carcass in transport, as you would a paper tag."

I suppose I should have expected the bureaucrat instinct to erase a chance at efficiency. Bummer.

Haha I see the OP was smart enough to leave Illinois out of his request due to the closed ears here. We've got to be 50th in the nation as far as keeping up with technology. There's no money for anything due to democrat Michael Madigan's bloated state employee pensions & salaries #1 in the nation. Just checkout our neighboring states for comparison. Wisconsin is excellent. GIS public land mapping & electronic tags in IL?................in your dreams. Wanna know what happens if you lose your public property turkey permit here & need a replacement? You call Springfield and get the list of 6 statewide offices in 58,000 square miles where you get to drive your truck to pickup a HAND WRITTEN replacement, often 3 hours away one way. Or you can wait for snail mail, by the time for which obviously your 7 day permit will be expired. And some of the addresses for those offices were moved ten years ago, yet still have the old addresses listed in the 2018 hunting regulations.

Now if you are looking for $10,000-15,000 per year property taxes, you hit a bullseye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back