Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Zinke intends to move BLM HQ, etc

how many 5's and 7's work at the D.C. HQ currently? I have an impression HQ is base 9's less support personnel that would be at least a 7..., no?

I would be for GJ or Denver... opposed to UT.

What's the deal Sytes?...no bolded condescending klaxon paragraphs.

I know, I know... My bad.

Last edited:
Solid plan for retaining quality candidates.
The idea of cutting a bunch of fat... Meaning overweight with GS 14-15's office managers (100-160k) and gaining more field based personnel at the GS 7-9 (40-65k) level, make good sense, least, IMO.

Last edited:
Another potential upside is that you might get folks who are very good at their jobs/fields willing to take a HQ job in CO that wouldn't think of doing so in DC. Location does matter to a lot of folks.

Anytime you hear that that this move or this reorganization will save money, particularly by dropping GS-13-15s and adding more 5,7,9s you should take it with a grain of salt.

I heard Albacrackie mentioned.....then someone laughed.
It would actually make sense cost wise.
DC will still have offices of senior folks. They need to fly west for a change & everyone flies anyway.....

Last edited:
Another potential upside is that you might get folks who are very good at their jobs/fields willing to take a HQ job in CO that wouldn't think of doing so in DC. Location does matter to a lot of folks.

This is a very valid point.

So long as they're "loyal to the flag." ;)

Jest noted, but find it missed the real mark, IMO/E.

Let's not be so serious as to miss some fun.

I agree with your point, very much so. I also don't know a lot of people who are clamoring to fill those positions that are still open, regardless of where they are located.

As a GJ resident, I can say the politicians here are salivating over the prospect. COL is lower than Denver, not sure what the scales say for the GS types. Housing isn't as cheap as you think, but pretty much all else is. Travel costs would probably be a little higher, you do bump up the price of your plane ticket by flying out of GJ vs flying out of DIA to get to DC or anywhere besides the handful of direct destinations. But, you can get from anywhere inside GJ city limits to your plane seat inside of 60 minutes...try that in Denver. Speaking as a pointy-haired boss, that's a lot of saved man-hours doing something productive. Local economic development types have been doing their darndedst to rebrand the Grand Valley as a destination for outdoor businesses and it seems to be getting some traction. Denver congestion is pretty off-putting and I-70 seems to get shut down monthly for something, that's a huge PIA.

Mesa mall is shedding anchor stores like crazy (like nearly every other 80's mall nationwide) that could makes some dandy office space next to Cabelas!

Remember when the Dept of Energy was the biggest career opportunity in GJ? There may even be vacant offices down by the river. I join those concerned about loss of influence among legislators by sending the agency top advocates far afield. Shenanigans abound inside the beltway. Plus I only trust his master's voice Zinke to decide in favor of extractive/consumptive industries and against sportsmen, conservationists and public land recreators. So anything he proposes bears serious scrutiny from that perspective.

There are echoes of the old DOE operation all through the grand valley still today. They're trying to make use of the old facility, business incubator, etc.

I think that move would help operationally but hurt politically. Like most have said, too far from the flagpole can lead to (more) shenanigans and closed door dealings with those outside of, but still affecting, the BLM. But, basing their operational hub here could only help from a logistical standpoint. Not to sidetrack, but I felt since day one about the NV Bundy standoff that whomever was in charge must never have actually spoken to anyone from rural southern NV or they could have easily predicted the response. An operational hub closer to the land the BLM manages should, statistically, increase the face-to-face interaction with the humans and critters who use it. I always felt that authors of environmental assessments, resource management plans, and grazing or energy leases should be required to list how many nights they've camped on the subject property. If their number is zero, their input is negated.

Choose your poison, I suppose. Personally (ever an optimist) I hope they do it while keeping a robust senior presence, who are required to rotate out into the hinterlands, in DC.

Hmm? He probably has a friend or colleague that will conveniently sell the needed land to build a giant complex. Zinke no doubt will benefit in some way. Kind of like the shady deal with the donated land that was supposed to be used for a park, not a brewery.

Maybe a Harry Reid disciple....

There's no shortage of crooks in the swamp. Chris Collins, Diane Black, Duke Cunningham, Carlos Danger, Charlie Rangel, etc. It's a target rich environment if you're looking for a mentor in graft.

Regardless, I was remiss to point out something that happened when MMS was stationed in Denver: https://www.denverpost.com/2008/09/10/sex-drugs-alleged-in-oil-deals/

So back to the topic at hand, I still think moving some operations out to the West makes sense, but the devil is going to be in the details. Hopefully this is something that can be worked out in a bipartisan fashion. Denver is a hub for the energy industry as well as the conservation world, so it would be nice to have those lobbyists closer to the decision makers. Right? ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back